ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice?

dovetail

All-State
Nov 13, 2003
I saw in the paper that a St. Joseph Prep freshman collapsed and died during a workout in yesterday's 'spring practice". I know H.S. football is a year around thing in Texas and Florida, but now in Philadelphia?

PA has rule that you can practice year-round as long as you do not make it mandatory from December(end of season) to August. Most PA teams have a spring schedule where they practice--most times in helmets and shoulder pads. Some of the better programs--Coatesville, St. Joes, Lasalle, Downingtowns--never stop. I know that one of the Downingtowns hold Saturday practices beginning in January. I am pretty sure that Coatesville has a week of practice the week before pre-season practice kicks off in August.
When Cardinal O'Hara's coach passed away last summer, I went to their football website and was shocked at how packed the summer was with football. Lifting, speed work, 7on7s, you name it.
The kicker is that most of the kids know that it is not voluntary if you want to play. On the same note, it keeps the kids involved, gets them more prepared for the season(maybe even safer), and has to make for a better product. It is a bit of a double edged sword.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT