ADVERTISEMENT

State Tournament

I did a back of the napkin calculation of the top teams and I believe Cape will be the number one seed

Sallies will be #1 and probably CR #2, after that, there are too many variables. I don't see Cape being seeded in the top 4.

Like I said it was back of the napkin and the last weeks games "will" impact the seedings but I now have Cape and the Sals tied with 40 points. I have CR with 38 and Archmere with 36. Those are the only 4 teams I looked at but I am guessing Tower Hill is in the ball park with the four teams above.. Not sure what the tie breaker would be for Cape and Sals but I guess head to head.

I didn't realize Cape would get that many bonus points, and I'm sure Appo, Milford, and DMA will be in the mix for a top four seed.

With some assumptions of the final few games, I have:
  • 1 Sallies
  • 2 CR
  • 3 Cape
  • 4 Tower Hill / Appo
  • 6 Milford
  • 7 Archmere
  • 8 DMA
  • 9 Friends
  • 10 Sussex Tech

OK, here's my stab at it.
1. Sallies
2. CR
3. Cape
4. Milford
5. Tower Hill
6. Appo
7. Archmere
8. DMA
9. Dover
10. Friends
11. Sussex Tech
12. Smyrna
13. Concord
14. Charter
15. Caravel
16. St. Georges
I'm sure to be missing some bonus points here or there, but this should be fairly close.

OK, here's my stab at it.
1. Sallies
2. CR
3. Cape
4. Milford
5. Tower Hill
6. Appo
7. Archmere
8. DMA
9. Dover
10. Friends
11. Sussex Tech
12. Smyrna
13. Concord
14. Charter
15. Caravel
16. St. Georges
I'm sure to be missing some bonus points here or there, but this should be fairly close.
What about a Sanford or St. Andrews they have beaten most of those teams.

I do not think its possible for St Georges to get in ahead of Sanford or Delmar. My back of the napkin shows Sanford and Delmar finishing with 28 points with Saint Georges topping out at 26.

Wait. St Georges and Delmar only play 14 games while Sanford will have played 15. So my guess on how the three will end up will be Delmar (2) Sanford (1.866) St Georges (1.857)

How are all the teams that played Red Lion effected considering they have 2 JV Teams on their Varsity Schedule (Delmarva Christian and Sussex Academy)?

There's no way a team that goes out of their way to schedule the bottom teams should get a playoff spot. Why would St. George's schedule Glasgow and Red Lion when your conf affiliation already forces you to play the bottom of the state, Christiana, McKean, Dickinson, Mount.

That's 6 wins vs struggling programs that are doing their best to build but constantly have coaches like this foaming at the mouth to take advantage of their situation.

Embarrassing display of sportsmanship and no interest in building anything but the coach's "rep"

Has St. G beat a winning team?

Play the game, not the system.

I agree. I don't think Milford is a top 8 quality team. They played such a weak schedule this year. Their closest games were with Delmar; a team that may not even make the playoffs.

I did the current numbers as of this morning. There is no projection just current numbers.

1) Sallies 2.57
2) Cape 2.50
3) CR 2.43
4) Appo 2.36 Appo has a higher opponent W/L percentage
5) Milford 2.36
6) Tower Hill 2.31 Tower beat DMA
7) DMA 2.31
8) Archmere 2.29
9) Friends 2.08
9) St. Mark's 2.08
11) Sussex Tech 2.07
12) Dover 2.00
12) Smyrna 2.00
12) Delmar 2.00
15) Concord 1.93
16) Charter 1.79

I didn't try to go through the other tiebreakers because I honestly was tired of running the numbers. The next three teams are Caravel, A.I. and St. George's all with a 1.77 index. Most of the teams still have 1 or 2 games left and there are 10 teams that can change bonus points for several teams. For example Tower Hill needs 1 more win to give each team 2 points and Charter is 7-7 so if they win they give every team they played 1 bonus point. Not sure if this is 100% correct but it should be close.

I'll try to do it again tomorrow with a few impact games tonight.

Teams should get extra points for playing teams that rank high nationally at the time of the calculation.

So if playoff seedings were calculated on 5/17 and Hill is in the top 20, Sallies would get a bonus +2.

It should ensure high rankings for teams that risk playing Academy of the New Church, Hill Academy, Bullis, etc.

DMA, Appo and CR should be heavily encouraged to play the best teams they can fit into their non-conf dates.

Sallies should be the clear #1 seed. Archmere and St. Marks will probably get seeded too low. Archmere needs to get really top heavy if they're staying in that conf.

Upon further review, here is another shot at the seedings.
1. Sallies
2. Tower Hill

Oops, sent it before i finished:
1. Sallies
2. Tower Hill
3. Cape
4. CR
5.Milford
6. DMA
7. Appo
8.Archmere
9. Sussex tech
10. Friends
11. Dover
12. Smyrna
13. St. Marks
14. Concord
15. Caravel
16. Delmar
And I do not agree that we should base anyone's point total on out of state or national reanings because that is basically some "experts" opinion of the rankings. It may not be perfect, but our point system generally works.

Archmere at 13-2 being the 8 seed and a probable 2nd round matchup with Sallies is a tough draw.

Sals hammered CR tonight, 17-6. Last game of the regular season for both. No contest.

I expected the Sals to win but the complete domination was surprising. CR goalie kept it respectable with some great saves in the 1st. But the Sals attack was relentless in the 2nd and it was 13 to 2 at half. Running clock started slightly after the mid way point in the 3rd.

Rankin and I believe #7 stood out as good players for CR but rest of team was over matched. CR plays a lot of non seniors so they still have room to improve

Sanford should get in over Caravel. They have the head to head over them and a better record at 11-4 vs 9-6 with similar opponents.

Hope Archmere doesn't get the 8 or 9 seed. Point system is good to get the top 16 teams. Once you have the top 16, then they should be seeded correctly.

Another shot at it:

1) Sallies 2.73
2) Cape 2.67
3) CR 2.6
4) Tower Hill 2.6 (if they beat Friends; if they lose it would be a 3 way tie with Appo and Milford)
5) Appo 2.47
6) Milford 2.47
7) Archmere 2.4
8) DMA 2.4
9) Friends 2.2 (even if they beat tower they can't pass DMA)
10) Sussex Tech 2.2
11) St. Mark's 2.14 (assuming they beat A.I.)
12) Dover 2.13
13) Concord 2.07
14) Smyrna 2.00
15) St. Andrew's 1.93
16) Charter 1.93

Archmere at 13-2 being the 8 seed and a probable 2nd round matchup with Sallies is a tough draw.

The problem is that 60% of the teams that they play don't have a winning record and they get no bonus points for wins against those sub .501 teams.

Very good team, but they need to bump up their schedule to help them come seeding time.

Another shot at it:

1) Sallies 2.73
2) Cape 2.67
3) CR 2.6
4) Tower Hill 2.6 (if they beat Friends; if they lose it would be a 3 way tie with Appo and Milford)
5) Appo 2.47
6) Milford 2.47
7) Archmere 2.4
8) DMA 2.4
9) Friends 2.2 (even if they beat tower they can't pass DMA)
10) Sussex Tech 2.2
11) St. Mark's 2.14 (assuming they beat A.I.)
12) Dover 2.13
13) Concord 2.07
14) Smyrna 2.00
15) St. Andrew's 1.93
16) Charter 1.93

I think you got it dead on, assuming Sanford beats Delcastle...

But since Caravel and Sanford have the same amount of points shouldnt Sanford get in over them based on their head to head win over Caravel and their 11-4 record (only losses coming to tournament teams) vs Caravels 9-6 record. Kind of stupid that even though friends is a top team they dont get any more bonus points on playing them because friends record is only 8-7 even though friends would beat a majority of the teams in this state. Sanford also beat Sussex Tech and if you look at the seedings 12-16 all those teams lost to Sussex Tech by 10 or more. Sanford strength of schedule is ranked higher then concords on laxpower and they are ranked 14th overall. The system needs to change.

It doesn't need to change because in the long run the teams that are good (Archmere t-hill cape cr etc) will win their games that they should win regardless of seed. Every year every team is chasing sallies so does it really matter who gets what seed. The talent in the state is still spread to far and the good teams that want a good seed (archmere and cr) should schedule better teams. The AD at these schools know how the point system works so between them and the coaches they should drop the historically bad teams from their schedule.

Man- after seeing the tourney seeds I was way off on some of the points calculations...

I don't know how I feel about sub .500 teams making the tourney. They are traditionally great teams but c'mon.

The possibility of a team scheduling nothing but powerhouse teams, getting smoked by every one, but getting 30 bonus points and making the tourney is real...is there a minimum # of wins needed to get in?

I got the first 10 right! Not sure what happened with the next 6. I wonder if there was a game in there for someone that wasn't counted . . .

Looks like the same old same old, we are not going to see competitive lacrosse until the second round. The only games that look interesting are DMA /Friends and Tower Hill/St. Marks.

Thoughts?

Saint Marks can score a lot of goals but I don't think they can beat Tower Hill. Especially if Tower Hill is making the extra passes on attack. Would not be surprised to see Friends win the rematch with DMA.

Tonight's Matchups

Sallies vs Delmar:18-2
Tower Hill vs St. Marks:17-10
CR vs Concord: 22-5
Appo vs St. Andrews: 29 - 4

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT