ADVERTISEMENT

State Tournament

Did anyone attend the games? Any highlights to report? Can't believe Appo scored 29 against Saint Andrews. Was anyone there to witness that?

Look at the time stamp on oldlaxguy's post. Those were his predictions. CR beat Concord 20 - 2. Don't know the other results but probably close to what he predicted although SA would have to be really terrible for Appo to score that much

Finals:
Sallies over Delmar 17/2
Tower Hill over St Marks 12/6
CR over Concord 20/2
Appo over St Andrews 16/10

Last edited:
Finals:
Sallies over Delmar 17/2
Tower Hill over St Marks 12/6
CR over Concord 20/2
Appo over St Andrews 16/10

Funny that Appo a team that everyone thought was so good can only beat a 5-9 St. Andrews team by 6. It really shows their weak schedule and just weak scedules of many of the public highschools in delaware even though they get more points for playing more bad public schools just because the public school teams have good records for beating other bad public schools. Friends gets the 9 seed but would absolutly demolish everyone but a tower hill sallies archmere cape or cr. even though they lost to all those teams by 1 or 2 goals. System is so messed up with whole bonus point system. Noone here can honestly tell me milford is better then Dma, Archemere or Friends. Why dont they just follow lax power that is pretty acurate.

The seeding system definitely needs to be tweaked. Not because teams are getting in, but because of seedings.

That last comment about St. Andrews
Is ridiculous. Look at their schedule. They are a very good team.

Appo only plays bad teams they are forced to play. Glasgow was in their conf. The minute they moved down to Flight B, Appo dropped them.

Scheduling good teams is a two way street, thy have to have room for you. Not like Appo has been dodging anyone or playing with point totals so they can sneak in the playoffs.

Look at who they added for their next cycle, not exactly a weak schedule anymore. They scrimmaged Conestoga and LaSalle, they'll take on great teams whenever they can.

The teams that are left and a feW already eliminated have done all they can to get their seedings, the system is what fails after that.

You can only play who is on your schedule and when their are only 10 teams in the state that can really field a team it makes it tough to have a complete schedule.

St.. Andrews had a brutal schedule, but that does not make them a good team and Appos weak schedule does not make them a bad team.

I don't care who scrimmages who, that doesn't count and has zero bearing on a season. What it does is give you an idea of where you stand as a program.

i am glad to hear that Appo was able to drop Glasgow. That is what is best for both teams. I am still 100% against the fact that the staff at Appo felt the need to score 28 on them, and what that accomplished, but not my team.

For the 8th year in a row the same four schools, Sallies, Cape, Tower Hill and CR will supply the finalist for the state title game. I thought Archmere had a shot to make it this year, but as is usually the case, Cape came up big in a State Tournament game to send the Auks home.

If you had to pick one of the three....Cape, CR or Tower Hill to knock off Sallies who would you pick?

For this year....I would say CR!
If we go by the current standings, its going to be tough for TH to beat Sallies in the semis (although it can happen)
So that leaves CR against Cape, their last meeting was tight, but I think CR will beat them this go around.
Just my thoughts!

I would think that it would be Cape/Sallies. I saw the cape cr game and was not that impressed with cr. Beside #5 going to his left they didn't have much else on the field, but you don't win 14 games or however many they have won without being good. Sallies will ultimately win the whole thing. For Cape to have made it this far after graduating 17 isn't a bad feat though.

Of the 3 other teams I was most impressed with Tower Hill. At times they can be "very" good on attack. I only saw CR play once and that was against Sallies so it is hard to judge them off that game. I was not impressed though as Sallies scored on CR at will. I walked away from that game finding it hard to believe CR beat Tower Hill. If there was ever a chance for Sallies to lose in the semi's this would be it. I think Sallies beats any of these teams 9 times out of ten but Sallies has lost before in the states against teams they beat easily in the regular season so nothing is impossible. My bet is that Sallies will be playing Cape in the finals and wins the rematch.

I think that tomorrow nights Sallies Tower Hill match up will be a better game than the final on Saturday.

Depends on which Tower Hill team shows up, the one that played Appo to a one goal win or the one that beat Archmere and Cape. I'm hoping that it is the latter and we all get to see a great game.

Shoot, I was wrong, no CR. Was anyone at the CR/Cape game? The score looked tight, was that how the game went?
Another Sallies/Cape year! I'm all for Dynasty, but a little diversity would be nice!
Looks like Cape girls have their own Dynasty going on too!

CR made too many unforced errors to win the game. They possessed the ball for long periods of time without getting a shot off...then an errant pass would end the possession. In the third period I do not think Cape gained possession until the mid way point and Cape still won the period. Cape had leads of 5 to 1 and 9 to 6. CR closed the first gap by being more aggressive on offense and again at the end of the 4th period they were more aggressive with number 25 working his way in to get off a couple of good shots. Cape played a clean game and did what they needed to do in order to win but I bet CR is kicking themselves because this was a winable game for them.

As for the final against the Sals I do not think there is any way that CR could have found a way to win. Even if the Sals played a lousy game (Like they did against Bishop O'Connell earlier in the year.) The Sals are too fast, too strong and too talented in relation to CR. Now Cape on the other hand..... For some reason Cape has figured out a way to negate the Sals physical and skill advantages in State Tournament finals. The Cape kids are talented as well just not to the level and depth of the Sals. The games against great out of state programs (Gonzaga, Severn, Bullis) help Cape because they see teams with similar size and talent as the Sals. Also, I am sure we can attribute some of the success against the Sals to great game panning on the part of the Cape coaches.

For Cape to win they will need to win the majority of the face offs and keep the Sals in the 7 to 8 goal range because Cape is going to have trouble scoring more than 7 or 8 against the Sals especially 6 on 6. The Sals have a "great" defense. The Hill School from Canada won almost "every" face off against the Sals, scored 6 man up goals including 4 during a non releasable penalty and still only managed 11 for the game.

I'm wondering if people are reading more into last year's title game than reality allows. The Sals have pretty much had Cape's number over the years. Going back to 2006 by my reckoning, they are 9-1 in the series.

When you look at the records the Sals "have" dominated the series since 2006. Since then Cape and the Sals have faced each other twice in the State tournament final with Cape winning "both" games after the Sals beat Cape convincingly during the regular season. The two have faced each other 11 other times not including the title games since 2006 and the Sals won all 11 meetings.

Sallies should win by double digits.

Previous games and records have nothing to do with Saturday's game. I don't think that a young well well coached Cape team can stop what Sallies will bring. Even with their shortcomings everywhere but the cage they are still the biggest fish in a small small pond.

Old lax guy. Why are you hating on the state champs with the back handed compliment?

I am not hating on Sallies. It is actually a statement as to the drop off of the other 3 teams in the final four and then the drop off of teams 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Was there an in state team that was competitive with sallies?

Is there an in state team that they did not want to face or thought may give them a game?

They played the 16, 8, 4 and 2 seed in the playoffs and won by double divers in each game.

To me that is a huge gap in talent....therefore in MY OPINION a big fish in a small small pond.

The inequality in lax extends over to the girl's side as well. Cape Henlopen has won girls lax for 7 years in a row. They must be a whale in a small pond.

It really doesn't matter too much about big/small pond, Delaware is a pretty small state to begin with. You could have easily held this tournament with just eight or maybe only four teams, if you stop and think about it. At the end of the day it's about growing the sport and in 10 or 20 years I suspect there will be a few more teams worthy of a tournament spot. For now, hats off to the State champs!!!

This fish does well swimming in bigger ponds. Tough to schedule in and out of state swim meets when no one wants to play.

Last edited:
WoodenStick. Who is the fellow in your avatar. I am curious.
Also, look for Smyrna lacrosse program to step up!

I think there are alot of programs that are on the verge of stepping up. But unfortunately, some folks in this State think that unless you can currently play at the level of Sallies, you are unworthy of even being in the same playoffs with them.................Perhaps we're looking at this all wrong. What would happen if we were to not let Sallies in the Delaware playoffs? Think about that for a minute. We would probably have a pretty competitive playoff throughout and most everyone would be alot happier, including Sallies because they would not be forced to play these teams that are obviously below them.

I bet If Sallies could jump to the inter ac for lacrosse only and not effect their other sports teams, that they would do it in a second.

As for a more competitive playoff without Sallies..look at the scores, there were only 4 out of 15 competitive games (2 goals or less) this year. Cape/Archmere - Tower Hill/Appo - Cape/CR and Dover/Milford.

In my opinion leaving Sallies out only allows at most 8 other teams the chance to win a State Championship.

I'm not sure I would use your 2 goal or less logic to determine if games were competitive or not. Often times in Lacrosse, especially in a playoff atmosphere where it is win or go home, the team that is down will start pressing in order to make things happen which can often lead to more inflated deficits which normally might not be the case. For example, in the Championship game, I'm sure Cape was taking chances once down that they normally would not take which probably led to some easy goals for Sallies.

FBLAX23/ I am interested in your opinion. What games did you find the most competitive if not using the score as an indicator.

I can't really comment intelligently because I was only able to see one playoff game and it was one of the ones that you mentioned that were close in score. I just think that although score differential is an obvious indicator, there are certainly other factors that can determine the "closeness" of a Lacrosse game besides the final sc

@Bummy Alf Jacques, stick artisan/craftsman from the Onondaga Nation in Central New York (Syracuse area). He is a master and builds the type of sticks that I used during my formative years... http://artvoice.com/issues/v11n16/sports_feature

As for the Sallies dilemma...I've floated the following idea MANY times! Each year well over 120 kids try out for the team. Currently, Sals fields three teams - Varsity, JV, and Freshman/Developmental. My recommendation is to create a fourth team that would not play for the state championship and will play only at the next level, with all Hill Academy - type opponents. If a player is selected for the out of state team, they would not be eligible for in state play - to keep the locals happy and to ensure that no gamesmanship is being played for the state title. The second team would be the in-state Varsity team that would play for the title. JV and Frosh would continue, as is, and develop. More kids would see the field - more kids would contribute. And, the program would continue to improve. It's crazy that the Sals sideline has 50+ kids dressed for a varsity game. Many of the kids never see the field but like the idea of being a member of the "Varsity" team - and some "Varsity" won't play JV. Silly to me as you would think that kids would want every opportunity to play, to perform and to get better.

@FBLAX Disagree with your observation. Saturday's result was not a result of Cape's pressing to make things happen. Sals came out Saturday night with a scorched earth mentality and with play at a higher and faster level than was shown in the regular season - with exception of the Bronxville, Shawnee and Hill Academy games where they played at a more competitive level. Note that each of them are out of state teams - tops in their respective worlds.

Two of three Sals losses were dumb losses. Malvern in overtime - the Malvern jinx - and the loss to the Virginia team due to abysmal play. Both could have gone the other way. Against Hill, the 3 minute unreleasable in the 3rd destroyed the momentum that they built in the first half. It's next to impossible to play man down for three minutes against a team as talented as Hill - #3 in the county - a stupid and questionable penalty that had devastating results. BTW, Bronxville was #15 nationally going in to the game.

Woodenstick, you write a very nice synopsis about the Sallies season, what you fail to understand is that the rest of us could care less about how Sallies does in all of their out of state games. Seriously, the best thing that could happen to Delaware sports is to completely take Sallies out of the equation. You think the playoffs should be reduced to 4 teams (only those who can possibly compete with Sallies). So your answer to the disparity in Lacrosse is to remove 12 teams from the playoffs. My suggestion is to just remove just one, Sallies! Keep the 16 team field, the games would be competitive, and everyone would feel as though they have a chance going in. Take your opening round game this playoff season. You face Delmar, a School which barely has more boys in their entire school than the amount you report goes out for Lacrosse at Sallies. In fact, you have almost double the amount of boys at Salesianum than the next largest school in the State. Your right, it's time for a change in this playoff system.

Unless you are a flat out hater of Salesianum than the rest of us "do" care how Sallies does against the national programs. I think it brings more credibility to Delaware lacrosse because Sallies is beating most of the good out of state teams it plays and even beating some great teams like Georgetown Prep and Saint Ignatious California. I think we all should be pulling for Sallies to beat the out of state programs. We should be pulling for Cape to beat the great teams they play like Gonzaga and Bullis. Sallies likely would have been an end of year top 15 team last year if "in state" Cape hadn't of beaten them. I think TH, CR, Archmere and up and comers like DMA and Appo should schedule at least two or three "really good" out of state teams. I'm not saying they should play Malvern or Gonzaga caliber teams but they should be taking a shot at some of the other good teams that Sallies and Cape play. Its not like losing to an out of state team will affect their chances of making the tournament as all of the above will get in. But I think it will definitely raise the overall level of play for the Delaware teams if the good teams bite the bullet and play some tough out of state teams

On a side note I noticed Lax Power has 7 Delaware teams at a power rating of 90 or higher. I think that's the most we've ever had at the end of the season.

FBLax - you obviously did not read my post with a potential solution to your problem. I agree completely, Laxde...DE Lacrosse should do all possible to raise the bar with better competition at the HS level - and continue to push the game forward at the youth level.

This is the same topic that was being discussed 11 seasons ago. Very little has changed, maybe a state champ or two, but not much in the dominance of programs. Unfortunately, there have been teams that are very good, but very few programs that are very good.

ADVERTISEMENT