ADVERTISEMENT

Strength of Schedule

oldlaxguy

Tackles too high
Apr 2, 2010
Top 10 Lax Power Rankings and their Strength of Schedule:

CR 1/14, Archmere 2/11, Appoquinimink 3/26, Sallies 4/1, DMA 5/22, Cape 6/3, Tower Hill 7/5, Milford 8/30, Sussex Tech 9/9 and Friends 10/7.

Of the top 10 Sallies has the toughest schedule and Milford has the lightest.

Top 10 Lax Power Schedules and their Lax Power Rankings:

Sallies 1/4, St. Marks 2/15, Cape 3/6, St. Andrews 4/15, Tower Hill 5/7, Tatnall 6/29, Friends 7/10, PolyTech 8/24, Sussex Tech 9/9, Charter 10/17.

Does a soft schedule help or hurt teams as they get ready for the playoffs?

Definitely hurts teams. If teams are playing very weak schedules, when they make it to the playoffs and have to face Cape, Cr, and especially the sals, they are not prepared due to the soft schedule. A tough schedule can do no harm other than a loss or two.

Soft schedule hurts teams getting ready for the playoffs. Cape played four tough Md opponents and the Sals only soft opponent is Saint Marks so both Cape and the Sals will be ready. After watching Tower Hill move the ball so well against Archmere and DMA I thought the Hillers would have a shot at the Sals but after they got waxed by Kennett I have changed my mind. I have not seen CR play so I don't know if the cake schedule will come back to haunt them or not. I am guessing the Sals are better than CR. Friends played CR tough while the Sals pulled the starters shortly after the half against Friends. They play on the 9th so we shall see.

It's a fine balance, you try to set a schedule that will challenge your team, without destroying it. The fact that there is such a huge gap between the top and bottom in Delaware doesn't make it any easier. I already discussed Milford's weak schedule on another thread, but it will probably hurt them come playoff time. IMHO they are not ready for the big boys, but not having SSX Tech/ Dover on their schedule is a big miss on their part. They are decent and I think the youth program looks to be taking hold, it has been fun to watch.

I don't think having Sussex Tech or Dover on Milford's schedule makes them any better. In fact I went to Dover Friday night and watched Dover and Delmar, and Dover is really not very good right now.

SOS matters come end of year, yes many teams should look to improve their SOS. IMO teams should also look out of state for competitive games.

2 points per win, 1-2 bonus points per game based on opponents win/loss percentage

This determines tournament seeding. You go 15-0 vs teams that don't have good records you'll make the tourney but as a lower seed (maybe 10-15 seed).

Teams that go 10-5 but play good teams could host games...even a 9-6 team with a great schedule.

I believe it's bonus points for a team that goes .501 and .701, or 8 wins/11 wins in a 15 game season

Wolverine52, so a team gets one bonus point for playing any team that has 8 wins regardless of the winning percentage of the 8 win team?? Teams get bonus points for playing teams with 8 wins and 8 loses or even 8 wins and "9 or more" loses?? Is that accurate?? I always thought the rule was playing a team with .501 for one bonus point and .701 for two bonus points.

No no...must have a .501/.701 win percentage...in a regular 15 game season (Delaware) that's 8/11 wins respectively.

If a team only play 14 games, for example, then they would need 8/10 wins for bonus points

You need to play a tough SOS to stand a chance at winning the tourny. Playing Blue Hen doesnt get you ready for Sallies, CR, Cape, etc.

Personally I would like to see Appo step up and play Cape, Sallies and maybe a MD/PA team. It would get them ready for the playoffs. They are a perfect example of a team not ready due to weak scheduling.

ADVERTISEMENT