ADVERTISEMENT

U of D Local Recruiting

outside view

Mascot
Jan 21, 2013
Went to the U of D vs. Loyola game yesterday and was surprised to see only 2 Delaware players on the roster.
When I asked around about the low number of Delaware players the common response was "he doesn't recruit Delaware, he doesn't think the programs are good enough."
Curious to get other thoughts, seems like a lot of local kids are good enough to play at Mount St Mary's, Ohio State, Boston Univ, Holy Cross, Colgate, Vermont, Army, Towson, St Joes, UNC ....seems like the Delaware programs aren't that bad and a lot of kids are being recruited by out of state, major Div 1 programs, but not by their in-state University.
Why, any other insight??

Shillinglaw has been doing this for far too long not to recognize that there is legitimate DI talent in DE. There have been a couple of really good players that went through UD. I think a lot of it has to do with in-state tuition and the amount of scholarships that he has to give out. If he has to decide between two of the same caliber athelete to offer scholarship money with families of average means, one being in-state and one out of state, who do you think he's going to give it to with how much less in-state students pay? Meanwhile, that same in-state player is probably getting offers from other schools, as well, and he's naturally going to take the financial aid that they can provide, explaining why they don't go to UD.

U of DE is now 2 - 7.

If he has to decide between two of the same caliber athelete to offer scholarship money with families of average means, one being in-state and one out of state, who do you think he's going to give it to with how much less in-state students pay? Meanwhile, that same in-state player is probably getting offers from other schools, as well, and he's naturally going to take the financial aid that they can provide, explaining why they don't go to UD.

1. Delaware parents have paid taxes to support the Univ of DE while the out of state kids' parents have supported some other school
2. Maybe it's just me, but if both kids are equally talented I would much rather see the in-state players get the money to stay in-state, especially after their parents have paid taxes to keep the U of DE operating.
3. To your point about "taking out of state financial aid"; there is really not much money for lacrosse players; it is a non-revenue sport and the MOST any D-1 team can have is 12.6 scholarships - that's 12.6 to spread across all the players. Couple that with the much higher cost for out of state tuition and there is no benefit of going out of state at least when compared to staying home. (unless you take out loans to pay back later)
I understand the U of D coach has been in his job a long time, but maybe lacrosse in DE has evolved enough now that he could begin to at least look more into the kids in DE - kids whose parents have been paying taxes to support his school?
Just an idea with SO MANY kids leaving the state for much better programs.

Also clear that the new AD is not afraid to shake things up. Lacrosse needs desperate shaking. A last minute win vs Marist isn't going to save him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT