14 Salesianum 1-2

15 Middletown 3-2

16 Conrad 3-2

17 William Penn 3-3

18 Concord 2-2

19 Polytech 1-2

20 Caesar Rodney 2-2

Thanks for putting out the top 20.

I can't argue with your top 4 St Marks, Caravel, Arch & Dover are solid there i believe.

The biggest differences i have with your list:

CR at #20. Despite there 2-2 record they lost by 1 run to # St Marks and lost by 1 run to your #11 Sus Tech. You also have them behind Poly, who they beat.

I think you have Charter #6 & DMA #9 too highly ranked. I think they should slide down to just ahead of Mt Pleasant. I think all three have played very weak competition and despite their 4-0 records i think there are 10 teams better then them at this point, at least from the competition they have played thus far.

I also think you have AiDupont#12 too high. I'm not sure i like Ai ahead of Mtown, since Mtown beat Ai.

I think you may take some heat with Sallies at #14. I think Sallies is better than half the 13 teams you have ahead of them, but i understand that at 1-2 its tough to slot them ahead of 4-0 and 5-0 teams at this point. I personally have them at #11.

I appreciate your opinion.

Oldskool42, you are probably right about where some of these teams are ranked. It's not a perfect ranking but things should play out in the next couple of weeks. The rankings are my best guess based partly on results and partly on expectations.

The reason for this Top 20 list is to spark some debate. Thanks for starting the discussion.

Solid list of teams...regardless of rank. I think Dover truly offers the public schools a chance at a title this year. Sussex Central could certainly be included in the rankings, but they don't have much of a sample size to this point.

I think CR is (will) deserve a better slot than 20. I know they are ranked there because of their record but they played two great games againt Tech and St. Mark's. They should move up the list in the near future. I also think Sallies and MTown should move up the listing too.

Mr Met, i would have Sussex Central in the top 20 but probably right at the end, maybe 20th given they got embarrassed by Sallies 18-2. I would certainly see others view that at this point with that big loss, that Central shouldn't be top 20 yet.

1Avidfan, i thought Middletown was gonna surprise a little this year. I had them as my darkhorse pick in a weak Flight A conference. Not that i thought they will contend for the championship or anything, but good enough to surprise in Flight A. They still may do so by the end of the season, but thus far i'm not sure what they are all about. I think DETOP20 got them right at around #15 (ahead of A I who them beat): Breakdown:

Lost 3-11 to Archmere. Played well early but let game get out of hand at the end.

Win 7-6 over a not so strong Dickinson team (who barely beat Howard by 1 run).
Win 4-2 over a decent A.I. team.

Lost 2-1 at home to an improving, but yet NOT that strong, WmPenn team

Won 7-3 over Concord by scoring four runs at the end of the game. Honestly think the jury is still out on Concord (especially after losing 11-0 to Conrad).

This post was edited on 4/7 3:12 PM by oldskool42

Did not see that L until after post. Won easily over Milford but they apparently aren't much to get excited about. Central is always in the thick of things, we will see how things play out for them in the North.

What do you guys know about Conrad? 11-0 over Concord is certainly not what one would expect from them.

Oldskool, you are definitely on point! Look forward to this weeks games to see how everyone fairs!

Mr. Met,

I like Conrad. They have had a decent team the past two years, with good records and just missed out on the playoffs by a couple of bonus playoff pts due to a weaker schedule. They are young again, with only a couple of seniors while most of the kids have played together for at least 2 or 3 years. This year they stepped up the schedule dropping a second game with the weaker teams in their division and playing better teams like St Georges, Mtown, Ai, St E, Concord, Wood. I thought maybe that would be biting off too much with such a tough schedule given they already have DMA, Archmere twice, St Marks, Mt P. But they are already 2-1 against those new teams on the schedule. I see no reason why they couldn't beat Mtown, Ai and Wood. They are 3-2 now and should win 4 of the next 5 (probably losing to St marks). If they contintue to play well after that, i could certainly see them winning 6 of their last 8 and getting to 12 or 13 wins. But unless they beat DMA & Archmere next time around, they will be sitting on the bubble counting bonus playoff pts for the third straight season.

honestly i dont think Archmere should be ranked that high. they dont have any real playmakers, havent played anyone thats even relatively decent, and we all know they are perennial underachievers.. at least for the past 4-5 years

SanfordScout03, maybe they shouldn't be ranked #3, but they are easily a top 10 team right now. I think you may be a little unfair in your criticism. I don't know what you mean by playmakers, but they have been scoring lots of runs and their pitching has been great. Also, they are 4-0 against some pretty solid teams - Middletown, Penn, Conrad, and Poly. Lets see how they do against St. Marks tomorrow.

Scout,

I seen Archmere play a couple of times so far and I think they are a pretty good team. They beat up on Mtown and shutout Penn and Conrad and beat Poly. Are those teams powerhouses, no! But Mtown, Conrad and Poly are all decent teams that will be there at the end fighting for a playoff spot i believe. As far as playmakers, Deely and Voge are both good pitchers. Deely has a scholly if i'm not mistaken and Voge is 2-0 with a 3 and 4 hitter.

As far as #3 who knows at this point. Its a little early for rankings. But honestly, other than Dover, i don't know who else i would put ahead of them.

I'm not sure how they are perennial under achievers. In 2013 they were 13-5, losing in the first round, but 4-1 to ST MARKS is very respectable. This year their schedule has 7 teams that made the playoffs in 2013 with 12 teams that had .500 or better records last year.

I am anxious to see Archmere play St Marks. That would truly be a real test.

SanfordScout, critiquing me on my rankings is fine, but I don't want this post to be used to pick on any schools.

I have a sick feeling in my stomach that St Marks is going to win the darned thing AGAIN this year. Ugh....

That team is good even losing a couple of starters to graduation as well as 2 extremely good players not on the team this yr. I believe Caravel and Dover have the horses to challenge them this yr. Time will tell.

@sparty, i thought that shirt was all mine for the St Marks pics i posted wtf
images

I hope it doesn't happen, never like to see it, but it's starting to look like at least one team has a shot at running the table with a winless season. Anyone want to try and guess the team I'm thinking about?

@8yaz if I have to take my best guess, I'd say Howard has the best shot of going winless. Hopefully not, wouldn't wish that on any team.

Kenny and OT22, both good guesses. It was McKean I was thinking about.

They play each other twice. That'll probably decide it!

I'm hoping that the baseball gods will somehow see that they split that series so they both get at least one win this year.

This post was edited on 4/12 8:43 AM by 8yaz

Howard I do think will win a game or 2 they have a solid pitcher in Troy Thomas but their coach needs to use him a little bit smarter than he has of recent.

Stenta Cup I would guess he threw around 140 pitches on Sunday alone and then against Glasgow yesterday he threw over 150, that is way too many for any kid. Coaches need to take care of these kids a little better. That kid will be lucky to last the whole season if this continues his arm might fall off.

Yaz Not sure why McKean has started so bad this year. They were 6-12 last year with only 1 senior on the roster. The juniors that pitched and caught last year have not showed up in one box score.

Originally posted by oldtimer22:
Yaz Not sure why McKean has started so bad this year. They were 6-12 last year with only 1 senior on the roster. The juniors that pitched and caught last year have not showed up in one box score.
Not a program I pay much attention to. I just happened to see that, judging from the scores, they haven't been very competitive in their games this season. Not really a program that's made any noise in years. Anyone know the last time McKean made the playoffs? How about Howard's last playoff appearance?

8yaz. Howard actually have had only one winning season in the past 20 years and actually won their first round playoff game. McKean was in playoffs between 2003 and 2006.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT