ADVERTISEMENT

8/20-8/21 Scrimmage observations

I was at the DMA scrimmage today. They had the Quad scrimmage with Archbishop Curley from Baltimore, Cheltenham and Lincoln out of Philly. First impression is I thought that DMAs defense looked pretty good overall. When they did 10 plays each the defense was stout for 90% of the time except one time against each team they ended up giving up a big pass play that either scorer or ended up at the 1 yard line. It is something that they will have to be worked on. On offense they were able to love the ball against all 3 teams. When they moved into actual game situation the defense was able to force punts and were able to score on offense pretty easily I thought. Dev Greene is a beast to take down and when he gets into the open field he is tough to catch. The QB seemed hesitant to let the ball fly downfield and settled for either short passes or taking off and running. CJ Coombs seemed to be open often but he was usually running Flys and posts. I thought the o-line played pretty well. They looked big and stout and have a good mix of ages on it with 2 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore, and 1 freshman. I will say too that senior Kevin Decker player OL/DL last year but he looks a lot more natural at the linebacker position and was all over the field. With him and Coombs they have some good senior leadership on the defensive side of the ball. This is coming from a DMA fan though so if anyone else was there and saw things different I welcome an alter stick perspective. Definitely next Friday when DMA travels to take on St. Joe's will be an eye opener for many of them.

• Wow
Reactions: BackinBlack86
I was at the DMA scrimmage today. They had the Quad scrimmage with Archbishop Curley from Baltimore, Cheltenham and Lincoln out of Philly. First impression is I thought that DMAs defense looked pretty good overall. When they did 10 plays each the defense was stout for 90% of the time except one time against each team they ended up giving up a big pass play that either scorer or ended up at the 1 yard line. It is something that they will have to be worked on. On offense they were able to love the ball against all 3 teams. When they moved into actual game situation the defense was able to force punts and were able to score on offense pretty easily I thought. Dev Greene is a beast to take down and when he gets into the open field he is tough to catch. The QB seemed hesitant to let the ball fly downfield and settled for either short passes or taking off and running. CJ Coombs seemed to be open often but he was usually running Flys and posts. I thought the o-line played pretty well. They looked big and stout and have a good mix of ages on it with 2 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore, and 1 freshman. I will say too that senior Kevin Decker player OL/DL last year but he looks a lot more natural at the linebacker position and was all over the field. With him and Coombs they have some good senior leadership on the defensive side of the ball. This is coming from a DMA fan though so if anyone else was there and saw things different I welcome an alter stick perspective. Definitely next Friday when DMA travels to take on St. Joe's will be an eye opener for many of them.

wow I didn't realize DMA is going to go hit SJP. Will it be a game like scrim? but yeah you are right if any of DMA's players are feeling themselves a bit too much they will get an awakening.

From what I hear it is going to be treated as a real game so I do think it is going to be 4 quarters of play and not the 10 play offense 10 play defense type. They are also hoping to have a varsity game, jv game, and hopefully a freshman game so everyone on the team gets a chance to play. I think it will be good preparation because they open the season with Bonner & Prendergast which according to maxpreps is ranked 25th in the state of Pennsylvania, for what that is worth. The boys do seem excited though to go head to head with a top flight program.

From what I hear it is going to be treated as a real game so I do think it is going to be 4 quarters of play and not the 10 play offense 10 play defense type. They are also hoping to have a varsity game, jv game, and hopefully a freshman game so everyone on the team gets a chance to play. I think it will be good preparation because they open the season with Bonner & Prendergast which according to maxpreps is ranked 25th in the state of Pennsylvania, for what that is worth. The boys do seem excited though to go head to head with a top flight program.

yeah B&P has been recruiting up the last couple years like a couple of the other Philly Catholic teams Lansdale and Neumann-Goretti going from roster sizes of about 50 to 80. Should be a tough game for you guys. It will be a game featured on the confidence pool slate. :)

Thats what I like about the new coach he is at least trying to get these boys some big games and at least they are early and get them ready for their in conference games.

I went to the St Georges, St Mark's scrimmage, then shot over to DMA. Both teams looked pretty good. Both teams had big linemen and a couple of talented running backs. Not much passing from either team. I was surprised to see St Mark's hang in with a strong Class 3A team, that was in the final four of D1 last year.

DMA looked impressive against the out of state teams. Devon is Devon. He's so much quicker than everyone else. Longago was accurate with his assessment. BJ looked good running the ball. Needs work in the passing game.

Without trying to sound like a homer or an AHole, the Middletown v Dover scrimmage just was uneven. What was supposed to have been a game like scrimmage at the last second for switched to something of a 15/15, 15/15, 10/10, 20/20 ordeal. (Not sure of the exact numbers).

first play out of the gate Dover was hyped, almost like game atmosphere, however after that first initial tackle it only went downhill. The Senators very seldom threw the ball and when they tried to run it they got nowhere. All but one drive did they manage to cross midfield. The one time they did the refs were doing a good job with not letting both QBs get hit, and when a Middletown defender ran past the QB to “ease up, and not tackle him” the ref let the Dover QB finish the play and ran passed the 50. Is what it is lol. It’s preseason for them too.

I think I recall the the Cavs 1st team scoring 3 times, 2nd and 3rd teams scored in the range of 5-7 times. The running back group is crowded at all 3 levels, with Kevin Ignudo, Mike Pearson, Josh Roberson, Tucker Desheilds, and Tyler Bolden. The receivers gained constant separation and gained plenty yards after catch. Other than the first snap, the offensive line did a solid job.

All 11 on defense was continuously around the ball. Made a couple of turnovers, one big hit by safety Jonny Wiltshire was one that really stood out to me. Dovers line didn’t get much penetration against the Cavs defense at all.

it’s just one scrimmage though. I plan on attending Smyrna/Hodgson scrimmage this Thursday at 5.
Longago, do you know if the ST. Joe’s scrimmage this Friday is at 11 for sure? I would like to attend if I can get out of work

Last edited:
Without trying to sound like a homer or an AHole, the Middletown v Dover scrimmage just was uneven. What was supposed to have been a game like scrimmage at the last second for switched to something of a 15/15, 15/15, 10/10, 20/20 ordeal. (Not sure of the exact numbers).

first play out of the gate Dover was hyped, almost like game atmosphere, however after that first initial tackle it only went downhill. The Senators very seldom threw the ball and when they tried to run it they got nowhere. All but one drive did they manage to cross midfield. The one time they did the refs were doing a good job with not letting both QBs get hit, and when a Middletown defender ran past the QB to “ease up, and not tackle him” the ref let the Dover QB finish the play and ran passed the 50. Is what it is lol. It’s preseason for them too.

I think I recall the the Cavs 1st team scoring 3 times, 2nd and 3rd teams scored in the range of 5-7 times. The running back group is crowded at all 3 levels, with Kevin Ignudo, Mike Pearson, Josh Roberson, Tucker Desheilds, and Tyler Bolden. The receivers gained constant separation and gained plenty yards after catch. Other than the first snap, the offensive line did a solid job.

All 11 on defense was continuously around the ball. Made a couple of turnovers, one big hit by safety Jonny Wiltshire was one that really stood out to me. Dovers line didn’t get much penetration against the Cavs defense at all.

it’s just one scrimmage though. I plan on attending Smyrna/Hodgson scrimmage this Thursday at 5.
Longago, do you know if the ST. Joe’s scrimmage this Friday is at 11 for sure? I would like to attend if I can get out of work
As of now it is at 12 but will be at northeast high school in Philadelphia. I can give you the address if need be. Also if the times change at all I will post

From what I am hearing it will be game like, special teams and all. Not sure on the other ones

don't know much about them but I think this is Early College HS first season in football. They cancelled their first scrimmage and now show "postponed" on their second one against Friends. Wonder if they have enough to field a team.

don't know much about them but I think this is Early College HS first season in football. They cancelled their first scrimmage and now show "postponed" on their second one against Friends. Wonder if they have enough to field a team.

I just noticed Dante Jones is listed as their HC. I know after Dover he went to Wesley as a safeties coach. I didn't realize he took over this team. but yeah looks like they are having an issue with fielding enough players to me. Teams on their schedule should be working on a back up plan if they want to play a full slate.

1​
8/26/21 10:37 AM

9/17/21​
Fri​
7:00pm​
Laurel HS
A​
Laurel HS/MS
2​
8/26/21 10:38 AM

9/25/21​
Sat​
12:00pm​
Glasgow HS
A​
Glasgow HS
3​
8/26/21 10:40 AM

10/1/21​
Fri​
7:30pm​
Odessa High School
A​
Odessa High School
4​
8/26/21 10:41 AM

10/8/21​
Fri​
Seaford HS
A​
Seaford HSSpecial Presentation
5​
8/26/21 10:41 AM

10/16/21​
Sat​
11:00am​
Charter School of Wilmington
A​
Charter School
6​
10/22/21​
Fri​
6:00pm​
Seaford HS
H​
7​
Fri​
Polytech HS
A​
Polytech HS
8​
8/26/21 10:45 AM

11/6/21​
Sat​
11:00am​
First State Military Academy
A​
First State Military AcademySenior Day!
9​
11/12/21​
Fri​
Indian River HS
H​
TBA

If I recall he was hired as Glasgow coach but did not get a job in the school and felt that would impact his ability to coach so left. This wa during Christina district budget/referendum and no teachers were being hired.

Don't know how true this is but I've heard that DSU Early College HS is to be moved to the Wesley College (DSU Downtown) site and take over the Wesley Athletic fields . So if they can pull some more students at least they would have decent sports facilities to build off of.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
@Woody_Wood i did. I left after they put the backups in. My first impression is I’m not impressed with Hodgson, they are light years away from their 2019 championship team. Their QB Barker is solid, he can put the ball where only his receivers can get it but they have to work on their snaps. Every play the snap was either too high, too low, or too wide, it disrupts the flow of the play. The running back would have to regather himself and by that time hed be tackled cause the line struggles in blocking.

For Smyrna, I’m a huge fan of Wayne and Yamir and Smyrna will go as far as they take them. DeMoe is a weapon for them as well, he saw constant separation, no matter who was lined up against him. Edge has a good ball to him but over threw his guys quite a bit. Basically the same assessment I had during the 7v7 game I saw. It’s still early though, which I think is why they threw the ball so much, to try and get him acclimated to his wide receivers a little more. They didn’t run Wayne much at all but I don’t have any doubts in him making the plays he needs to be successful.

At the moment, until I see something otherwise, I still see a Middletown/Smyrna 3A championship game. The only other teams that would disrupt that is Salesianum and Sussex Central but I haven’t seen them yet. All in due time though. But those two both love to run the ball, Central’s Wing T and Sallies Power I. The news journal article on Sallies today, DiNardo stated they have more speed now and will try to throw more but they won’t stray away from who they are. So we will see. Me personally, I can’t wait.

@Woody_Wood i did. I left after they put the backups in. My first impression is I’m not impressed with Hodgson, they are light years away from their 2019 championship team. Their QB Barker is solid, he can put the ball where only his receivers can get it but they have to work on their snaps. Every play the snap was either too high, too low, or too wide, it disrupts the flow of the play. The running back would have to regather himself and by that time hed be tackled cause the line struggles in blocking.

For Smyrna, I’m a huge fan of Wayne and Yamir and Smyrna will go as far as they take them. DeMoe is a weapon for them as well, he saw constant separation, no matter who was lined up against him. Edge has a good ball to him but over threw his guys quite a bit. Basically the same assessment I had during the 7v7 game I saw. It’s still early though, which I think is why they threw the ball so much, to try and get him acclimated to his wide receivers a little more. They didn’t run Wayne much at all but I don’t have any doubts in him making the plays he needs to be successful.

At the moment, until I see something otherwise, I still see a Middletown/Smyrna 3A championship game. The only other teams that would disrupt that is Salesianum and Sussex Central but I haven’t seen them yet. All in due time though. But those two both love to run the ball, Central’s Wing T and Sallies Power I. The news journal article on Sallies today, DiNardo stated they have more speed now and will try to throw more but they won’t stray away from who they are. So we will see. Me personally, I can’t wait.
Thanks for the detailed assessment!!!

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
@Longagoplayer im hearing it’s been somewhat of an even scrimmage with DMA and St. Joe’s? 10-7 but St. Joes had someone get wide open for a bomb to go up 17-7 at the halfway point? What’s your take on it so far?

@Longagoplayer im hearing it’s been somewhat of an even scrimmage with DMA and St. Joe’s? 10-7 but St. Joes had someone get wide open for a bomb to go up 17-7 at the halfway point? What’s your take on it so far?
It's 31 to 7 in the second half. Had to leave. St Joe's is really good. That's all that I can say.

I know all of this, but when I got that it was 10-7 I was kind of taken back so I had to ask. Lol The later it went that it seemed like DMA was getting tired. They got guys playing both ways when SJP are really good 3-4 deep R every position

Last edited:
I know all of this, but when I got that it was 10-7 I was kind of taken back so I had to ask. Lol The later it went that it seemed like DMA was getting tired. They got guys playing both ways when SJP are really good 3-4 deep R every position
Plus every other player there seems to be the son of a former Eagle or the son of an Eagle coach.

So I just got back from a lovely traffic filled 95 in Philly lol...you were correct DMA came out the gates with a pick 6 and played even for the first half with it being 17-6. A blown coverage caused a wide open touchdown. DMA was able to move the ball some in the first half but a big tackle for loss would end up cause 3rd and long and they just couldn't muster enough first downs. Second half was all SJP. They made adjustments and more or less pounded the ball and then would hit a big strike to advance way downfield. I will say SJPs QB was very good and if not for dropped passes it probably would have been worse. The SJP defense is fast and tackle really well and their coaches have them well prepared. I asked my son, who is a lineman, what they were doing and he just said they moved around a lot and deployed stunts and overload blitzes that they were unfortunately unprepared for. With a lot of DMA playing both ways and as hot as it was they the second half they looked spent and SJP just took it to them. I do hope that they do realize that they were able to hang with one of the best teams in the country for a while and show that they should be able to play with anyone in Delaware. The coach should have a lot of game tape to find positives and to help correct the negatives before next week's scrimmage with St. Georges.

Delcastle and Middletown got cancelled at the half. The Lightening started to get out of hand, but keeping my assessment short, it really was a no contest, probably never should have happened. Delcastle had about half the amount of kids as the Cavs, and just was outmatched. Middletown sat a couple starters too.

I went to the Delmar/Seaford/Bennett tri-scrimmage yesterday. Everyone looked a little rusty the first couple of plays, but overall:

1) Bennett was not impressive.

2) Seaford looked better than they have the last three years. They had at least 8 coaches there, who were active and enthusiastic, as well as close to 30 players (which is a far cry from the 16 they had last year). They will most likely be better than they have been the last three plus years, but I don't think they will seriously compete for the championship of 1A, although they might make the playoffs.

3) I'm biased for Delmar as most of you know, but they looked good. The usual preseason mistakes, but once they worked those out over the first couple of plays, the defense was stuffing both Seaford and Bennett every play. The offense was driving with ease on both teams. Delmar will almost certainly compete for the championship again this year.

Last edited:
I missed Odessa,Cape,Conrad Tri scrimmage but from what i heard from my step son was that Capes “1s” didn’t play much at all and that Odessa and Conrad competed well but either way neither we’re really stopping Cape.

I made it to the last half hour of Appo/Mount. Mount is HUGE! A little slow off the ball in my opinion, QB is very athletic and was pretty much running for dear life. Appo looked good they have a HUGE RB i wanna say like 260 LBs and was not going down easy even when Mount went at his legs, big QB made a mistake and threw a pick but also threw a beautiful TD and another long ball that was dropped by a receiver.
Overall, Mount looks like they can compete in the Divison 2 conference with size alone and QB being as athletic as he is. Appo would be pretty good this year if it weren’t for that tough schedule they have from week 3 and on.

I'm going to slightly disagree on the Seaford/Delmar/Bennett scrimmage.

Bennett I agree, has a lot of kinks to work out.

I felt more like Seaford showed a lot. Now, Delmar had far more rotations going on than Seaford did because they had far more kids out there so it's hard to say how much of it was truly 1 vs 1s but Seaford certainly held their own. Threw the 1st 2 or 3 rounds of downs head to head Seaford had outscored Delmar (I didn't stay the whole time as it was 1000 degrees).

Again, Delmar wasn't "playing to win" they surely have their own agenda of ironing out position battles and seeing what and who is going to work for them this year. Given the competition Seaford will face from here out even if you feel they were edged out by Delmar here they won't face a team like that in the next 10 games. Given that Seaford starts very few upper classmen I think they should feel incredible about their chances going forward, this year and beyond.

Delmar will no doubt be solid and also have a lot of good underclassmen from what I'm hearing. They'll always be prepared and rarely beat themselves.

I'm going to slightly disagree on the Seaford/Delmar/Bennett scrimmage.

Bennett I agree, has a lot of kinks to work out.

I felt more like Seaford showed a lot. Now, Delmar had far more rotations going on than Seaford did because they had far more kids out there so it's hard to say how much of it was truly 1 vs 1s but Seaford certainly held their own. Threw the 1st 2 or 3 rounds of downs head to head Seaford had outscored Delmar (I didn't stay the whole time as it was 1000 degrees).

Again, Delmar wasn't "playing to win" they surely have their own agenda of ironing out position battles and seeing what and who is going to work for them this year. Given the competition Seaford will face from here out even if you feel they were edged out by Delmar here they won't face a team like that in the next 10 games. Given that Seaford starts very few upper classmen I think they should feel incredible about their chances going forward, this year and beyond.

Delmar will no doubt be solid and also have a lot of good underclassmen from what I'm hearing. They'll always be prepared and rarely beat themselves.
Seaford scored on the very first play from scrimmage, which was Delmar's first play of the preseason. Delmar wasn't lined up when the play started and Seaford ran it around the corner for a TD. Seaford also scored on the fourth play from scrimmage due to a blown coverage. That was it. Seaford didn't get any more scores, first downs or completions after that, and had negative yards total afterwards.

As I said:

The usual preseason mistakes, but once they worked those out over the first couple of plays, the defense was stuffing both Seaford and Bennett every play. The offense was driving with ease on both teams.

Last edited:
It was also Seaford's first play of the preseason.

I'm not totally disagreeing I just thought Seaford showed pretty well given their competition and Delmar didn't scream dominant team although if they came out and went 9 and 1 I wouldn't be shocked because that's what they do.

It was Seaford's 20th play from scrimmage. Seaford and Bennett opened the scrimmage.

I agree Delmar didn't initially look their best, they were rusty and it took 4 plays for them to get into the groove on defense. Their offense looked good from the start. But they need to improve if they are going to win the championship (like every team).

That's what scrimmages are for.

Last edited:
It was Seaford's 20th play from scrimmage. Seaford and Bennett opened the scrimmage.

I agree Delmar didn't look their best, they were rusty and it took 4 plays for them to get into the groove on defense. Their offense looked good from the start. But they need to improve if they are going to win the championship (like every team).

That's what scrimmages are for.
Ah I thought you were referring to previous scrimmages. Seaford had one canceled so this was their first action against an opponent

Ah I thought you were referring to previous scrimmages. Seaford had one canceled so this was their first action against an opponent
Delmar's first scrimmage was canceled as well. It was scheduled against Wicomico and then changed to Washington for reasons I don't know and then it was canceled because Washington couldn't get enough players to make a team.

Reactions: Hometeamsports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT