ADVERTISEMENT

Always Remember and Never Forget...

cavaliercharlie

Good all around Player
Oct 17, 2011
Sun Village / Marcus Hook
It's that time of the year, week ten, as I stated back in June, time to get hot, the jokes over, drum roll please........

Blast from the past, when Brian and Rich Long were around, originally posted on this board March 2003, over ten years later this post still motivates me. Thank you Old Cav.

In 1966 before the first Sallies/Middletown game a lot of us players would go and watch Sallies play. Every time the Sallies fans saw us there they would call us farmers and say that we should be home milking cows.

The night of the first game one of the parents went out and bought some cow bells and gave them to some of the local parents and fans. When we came onto the field they started ringing the bells and it just caught on from then on.

It kind of died out for a few years in the 80's and then started back-up after DiNardo put Middletown back in the winning ways of Billings.

So, all those people who hate the cow bells when they play Middletown can thank Sallies for helping start the tradition.

-----------

I bought my original bell from the Middletown Agway in 1986, it has seen action ever since.

Have a great Sallies week and always remember and never forget....

"The day you beat Sallies, the day you beat Sallies in anything, it is a GREAT DAY!"

------------

I know some are tired of the same post every year for the last 1.4 decade. But, what is important is the above quote is from an original game plan older than 1.4 decade. (Dare to guess the Coach?)

To help alleviate this stigma a new initiative has been rolled out: Respect the Bell, Ring Responsibly.

Also, during halftime along with the 50/50, Cow Patty Bingo will take place. The game involves penning Sally the Cow into an enclosed area on the Sals sideline that has been divided into a grid. The squares of the grid are numbered and "sold" for a chance to win a prize. If Sally drops a cow patty on your square, you win.

Almost half century (48 yrs.)

Go Cavs!

Sure hope Sally cooperates.

@CC

you hitting the special sauce already?

you got 6 hours to go.....haha

just wondering

Spartakos.....he's not kidding.

Drove by the stadium on the way home from the gym, tailgaters already. I'll be among them in an hour or two.

But would you want anything different? I get it, everyone but Middletown hates the cowbells, and I'm not going to call some schools out but I've been to plenty of games where their fans are just sitting there, like it's a meet and greet tea party, and with the occasional score or big play you get a hand clap. That's not supportive. It's really sad in my book.

And that's a reason why some of these programs don't live up to the hype. Players feed off the energy that comes from the stands, the more energy, the better the play. Some of these "fans" wouldn't last 5 minutes at an SEC college football game, all they do is stand on the seats. The entire game, and cheer, and yell. One reason why I like southern football.

Several Tailgaters are now heading towards Happy Harry's (WG), one has a recipe for Brown Cow Laxative/Enema, the others are singing a 1977 Eric Clapton tune.........Lay Down Sally.........it's getting Cra Cra......5 hrs to go.

This is what football is all about...a lifestyle...a bond...blood, sweat and tears...

Good luck to BOTH teams. Looking forward to a very good game!

Nothing wrong with the cowbells. Middletown is always a great atmosphere for football. It's what Friday night lights is all about.

It must suck to live in that town and have to go to appo. Just saying. Well unless you play soccer

Originally posted by dovetail:
Its still Bush League.
Dove....CC's post was very cool....I am not a fan of them bells either but wish the Clones had something to equal the Cavs fans dedication and intensity. other than sour grapes......you represent very well.

I am not sure if dovetail meant that the cowbells were bush league or if He felt
That Charlie's re telling the story was bush league. (The Philadelphia League
Fans would call the Sals farmers back in the day.)

I love the cowbells.

Got ya....no biggie. I unfortunately have seen some real bad fans on travels to OOS sports events. And I mean BAAADDDD!

The cowbells were neat in their time. That time was when the Hub of the East was a small school and yes a lot of the players were sons of farmers. Today, MT is a large school and a lot of the farms are gone. Most of the players and fans today wouldn't know the the front end from the back end of a cow. Hell, we got rid of the signature chant...."see see saw saw. Hitt'en in the head with a kibassaw".

Moo moo moo moo, moo moo moo! Moo, moo moo moo.

Moo moo moo moo moo moo. Moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo. Moo! Moo! Moo!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT