ADVERTISEMENT

Are Student Athletes This Fragile?

Players now have the ability to do what coaches have done forever (see Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Shaka Smart, etc.) Personally, I have no problem with it.

OK. I understand. Where do we set the guardrails? Like I am unhappy with Coach Jones after game #4 ....should I be able to transfer and play right away? I know that is a straw man argument but what should be the parameters? Was the sit out a year rule for undergrad transfers too restrictive?

OK. I understand. Where do we set the guardrails? Like I am unhappy with Coach Jones after game #4 ....should I be able to transfer and play right away? I know that is a straw man argument but what should be the parameters? Was the sit out a year rule for undergrad transfers too restrictive?

The same as the Business or Biology majors that are unhappy with their professor and or a student that is rethinking their college choose and transfers to another college. If they are truly STUDENT/Athletes then why not follow the same rules? I understand that players get scholarships so it's a different scenario, so I would propose that you can transfer at any time for any reason any play right away but you are ineligible to receive any financial aid in any shape or form.

I understand that players get scholarships so it's a different scenario, so I would propose that you can transfer at any time for any reason any play right away but you are ineligible to receive any financial aid in any shape or form.

OK. I am sure you don’t mean in season transfers here. You’re making them pay their own way is more draconian than making them sit out a year but I get your point.

Maybe I am not expressing myself well here. Frashilla’s Twitter is saying that players are leaving programs because they don’t like adversity which I am interpreting as being criticized by their coaches. (Maybe it is a bad interpretation as is a lack of playing time the same as criticism?) That is my kicking off point. ..and the lead question is “are players too fragile?” Obviously, I ain’t fragile, as you guys criticize me all the time. I welcome the exchange...

Last edited:
I believe playing time is at the heart of this. So many of these players go through AAU being told how great they are. Then they get to college and find out that everyone is that great. Or the coach that recruited them leaves. Or they find that the school they selected just isn't the right fit.

I should mention that scholarships are one-year deals, not four years. Sometimes, particularly in football, a coach overrecruits, expecting a certain number of players not to return. When he has too many players, he just lets certain players know they don't have a ride anymore.

I don't really have a problem with players transferring. It would be nice for programs to develop an identity over 3 or 4 years, but that's just not the reality today.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
The transfer portal seems to be spreading to the high schools as well. There is a always an aunt or grandmother in another town to move in with.

The transfer portal seems to be spreading to the high schools as well. There is a always an aunt or grandmother in another town to move in with.

While I see the issues with college sports with paying scholarships and such, but at the Middle/High School level there should be no issues. I've always advised that every parent should DO WHAT'S BEST FOR YOUR CHILD, PEROID!!! I'm surmising that that aunt or grandmother is paying schools taxes or a kid parent's are paying his private school tuition then why not? All school programs are not the same. Just like in college a player could be in a shitty situation or at a school where there's a total lack of effort giving to athletics.

I think it is. i think you should be able to play the next year. it's not like Coach Jones isn't going to use that scholarship on someone else next year. Or that Coach Jones in sports like baseball won't just cut you the next fall if it isn't working out or pull that partial scholarship he offered.

Especially in football they want to make sure they use their full allotment of scholarships, so they fill out the back end of the class with long shots and then hit the same transfer portal to recruit over them and bury them as back ups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT