ADVERTISEMENT

Delmar/Caravel

Caravel 28 Delmar 7 final

You have to wonder is the two long bus rides, awkward game time and just the overall oddity of this weekend have a negative effect on Delmar. You still have to play the game and not taking anything away from Caravel, but I'm sure this was a tough couple days on the Delmar team.

Their wins have been against teams who in my opinion are not very good. I will say they played Woodbridge well. Didn’t see the game but the score would indicate it.
They were dominated by Friends and Caravel. Looking ahead, I think Lake and Laurel can beat them. That being said I would not count out any Delmar team. But I just don’t think they have all the pieces this year.

Their wins have been against teams who in my opinion are not very good. I will say they played Woodbridge well. Didn’t see the game but the score would indicate it.
They were dominated by Friends and Caravel. Looking ahead, I think Lake and Laurel can beat them. That being said I would not count out any Delmar team. But I just don’t think they have all the pieces this year.
Teams play the opponents on their schedule. By your logic, Caravel isn't good because "(t)heir wins have been against teams who...are not very good" (their best win is against Delmar).

And was Caravel dominated by Woodbridge? 24-12 is only 9 points difference from 28-7. Is 9 points the difference between a close game and one where a team dominated?

So Caravel hasn't beaten any good teams and was dominated by Woodbridge. By your logic, Caravel isn't a very good team.

Which is, of course, ridiculous.

Edit: To add to this, if Delmar had played Caravel's schedule (excluding the Delmar/Caravel game), Delmar would be 7 and 1 with only a close 0-6 loss to Woodbridge. Would that make the same Delmar team somehow "better". Of course not.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Delmar was going to beat Caravel but I wonder if the game would have been more competitive if all of the challenges they were faced with this weekend

I'm not saying Delmar was going to beat Caravel but I wonder if the game would have been more competitive if all of the challenges they were faced with this weekend
They had some key injuries too and the two bus rides, one on Halloween night which disrupted a lot of Halloween plans that weren't disrupted on the Caravel side (due to the long bus ride home), didn't help the teams state of mind.

The game almost certainly would have been closer if it had been played Friday night. And if Caravel would have had to make two best rides down to Delmar, Delmar could have won.

Last edited:
Looking at the two common opponents Caravel crushed Sussex Tech and Red Lion, whereas Delmar had a bit more trouble with them.
Just like many other teams, Caravel has a couple of key injuries.
When I watched film against Friends, they did not look very good. Friends dominated the LOS. I did not expect that.
My point was I was not surprised that Caravel beat Delmar pretty easily. Caravel is a good team this year. Not sure they are on the same page as DMA and Archmere.
Maybe they will see each other again in the playoffs.

Three common opponents. Delmar played Woodbridge tough and Woodbridge beat Caravel easily. And Delmar doesn't run up the score like most teams I have seen in Delaware. Coach Hearn has a lot of class. So your analysis is flawed for multiple reasons.

When you watched the film of the Friends game, did you see the 25 penalties called on Delmar vs. the 2 that were called on Friends? Those penalties were why the score was so lopsided. If the game had been called even, the score would have around 14-0 or 14-7 Friends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT