5. Sussex Tech 4-1

DII[/B]

1. St. Georges 5-0

2. Caravel 3-2

3. Lake Forest 5-0

4. Laurel 4-1

5. Archmere 3-2

AI DuPont 3-2 (2-1 Flight A) at Newark 4-1 (3-1 Flight A)[/B]

Newark was defeated for the first time last weekend losing to William Penn 51-15. Newark was never really in the game finding themselves down 30-7 at the half. QB Ben Campbell did toss his 11th TD of the season last week connecting with WR James Bond in the 2nd quarter for a 5yd TD pass. Campbell had a rough day otherwise only completing 6 of 20 passes and was intercepted 3 times. The Newark defense, which had only given up only 6 points in their last 2 games, had a rough time stopping William Penn and was dominated on the line of scrimmage by the Colonials. AI enters this game on a 2 game winning streak with wins over Appo 40-20 and St. Elizabeth 41-20. AI is led by WR Quadree Henderson, who is headed to Pitt next year, and his 8 total TD’s. Quadree has 6 receiving TD’s, 1 rushing TD and 1 Kickoff return for a TD. QB Freddie Heard has thrown 12 TD passes on the season and Anthony Christopher has 6 total TD’s from the RB position. With the season half over both of these teams are looking for a strong stretch run to make it into the playoffs. The loser of this game will have a real tough time qualifying for the state tournament and barring a major collapse by William Penn and Middletown both AI and Newark would have to qualify as at large teams. AI has defeated Newark 2 years in a row including last year 49-7. Freddie Heard had a huge game last year rushing for 3 TD’s and tossing another to Quadree Henderson. The key to this game is which team will get more stops on defense. Newark has the better defense and should bounce back in this one.

Newark 30 AI 24[/I]

Cape Henlopen 5-0 (1-0 Henlopen North) at Dover 1-4 (0-1 Henlopen North)[/B]

Cape Henlopen is undefeated so far this season at 5-0 but with wins coming against a schedule that has a combined 8-15 record it’s hard to know just how good they are. Last week they defeated Cambridge-South Dorchester (MD) 35-14. Cambridge entered the game 4-0 and last season finished 10-3. Cape is averaging 40 pts. per game on offense and has scored at least 35 points in every game. They’ve outscored their opponents 201-41 in their first 5 games. The Cape defense is only allowing 8 points per game and has scored 3 times this year defensively. The Cape backfield of Ja’von Currie and William Gibbs has accounted for over 10 rushing TD’s this season. WR Jason Wiberg 6’3 200lbs has 4 TD receptions on the season with 2 of those coming in Cape’s 35-20 victory over Henlopen North rival Caesar Rodney. For Dover another slow start doomed them last week against Sussex Tech. The Senators found themselves trailing 28-7 at the half and 35-7 early in the 3rd quarter then outscored Sussex Tech 21-0 the rest of the game which ended with Dover deep in Sussex Tech territory. The previous week they trailed St. Mark’s 24-7 at the half but outscored the Spartans in the 2nd half in a 38-27 loss. Dover has plenty of weapons on offense, QB Triston Harris passed for 229 yards against Sussex Tech and RB Devlin Locklin rushed for 151 yards, but they have struggled defensively all season. The Senator defense is giving up over 35 points per game. Dover is a very talented team and if they can put together a full game they can pull the upset in this game. Dover won 48-7 last year. This is Dover’s homecoming and it should be another very entertaining game. I’m giving the slight edge to Cape but an upset wouldn’t surprise me.

Cape Henlopen 37 Dover 33[/I]

[/I]

[/I]

Sussex Tech 4-1 (2-0 Henlopen North) at Smyrna 3-2 (2-0 Henlopen North) [/B]

Smyrna has already won 3 games this season which is 1 more than all of last season which they finished at 2-8. They also have 2 Henlopen North Conference wins beating Polytech 48-40 and Sussex Central 35-29 which is the first time they have had multiple conference wins in a season since 2011. Sophomore QB Nolan Henderson leads the way for Smyrna. Henderson passed for 404 yards against Sussex Central last week in Smyrna’s 35-29 win. He also had 2 rushing TD’s which included the game winner late in the 4th quarter. Henderson tossed 5 TD’s the previous week helping Smyrna defeat Polytech 48-40. Smyrna has scored 35 points or more in every game except their opening season loss to Glasgow 22-8. Sussex Tech held on to defeat Dover 35-28 last Friday night. Tech led 35-7 in the 3rd quarter led by Kani Kane, Patrick Griffin and Xavier Drummond. Kane rushed 19 times for 75 yards and a TD, Griffin had 14 carries for 138 yards including an 80 yard TD run and Drummond opened the scoring against Dover with a 14 yard TD run. It was Sussex Tech’s 3rd straight win since their 1 point loss at St. Mark’s which is their only loss this season. Sussex Tech defeated Smyrna 27-0 last year beating Smyrna for the second consecutive season. Smyrna has a good young team and sophomore QB Henderson is the real deal. But Sussex Tech looks to be the deeper team and has a little more experience on both sides of the ball.

Sussex Tech 41 Smyrna 20[/I]

[/I]

[/I]

Lake Forest 5-0 (2-0 Henlopen South) at Woodbridge 3-2 (1-1 Henlopen South)[/B]

Lake Forest is 5-0 for the first time since 1990 after crushing Indian River last Friday night 41-10. The next 3 games are pivotal for the Spartans, facing Woodbridge this week and then Laurel and Archmere. RB D.J. Cornish rushed for 167 yards and 2 TD’s last week against Indian River and John Flamer had 100 yards rushing on the night. The Lake Forest defense has been tough this season only giving up 11 points per game and a total of 29 in their last 3 games. Woodbridge led Laurel 20-7 last week in the 3rd quarter but 2 scores by Laurel erased the lead and Woodbridge lost 21-20. Woodbridge has now lost 2 out of their last 3 games and they really need a win this week against Lake Forest. Another loss in conference would really make a return trip to the playoffs very tough for the Blue Raiders. Last year Woodbridge advanced to the playoffs and won their 1st playoff game in school history defeating Tower Hill. Woodbridge defeated Lake Forest 21-18 last season. The Lake defense is the key to this game and they should be tough enough to defeat Woodbridge and set up a huge matchup next week against Laurel.

Lake Forest 24 Woodbridge 12

[/I]

William Penn 5-0 (3-0 Flight A) at Middletown 5-0 (4-0 Flight A) ***Game of the Week***[/B]

William Penn trounced Newark 51-15 last Saturday afternoon led by Reggie Carroll’s rushing and a great overall team performance. Carroll rushed for 192 yards and had TD runs of 4, 7 and 15 yards. Marvell Watts added 2 rushing TD’s and the Colonial’s defense scored on an interception return and forced a Newark safety. The William Penn defense held Newark under 160 total yards and limited Newark QB Ben Campbell to just 77 yards passing while registering 3 interceptions. DB Marquis Lake returned an interception 38 yards for a TD in the 3rd quarter. William Penn has been dominant this year in the 1st half of games outscoring their opposition 105-17 before halftime. Overall their defense is allowing just under 10 points per game with most scores against them coming in mop up time. Middletown has been on cruise control the last 3 weeks beating Charter 48-6, Glasgow 49-14 and last week Delcastle 44-7. All 3 of those games have been over by halftime with the Cavaliers strong run game and defense dominating play. The run game features Frank Datillo 7 TD’s and LaSanna Brew 6 TD’s and QB Vinnie Delpercio does a good job at managing the game from the QB position. Delpercio has 2 rushing TD’s and 2 passing TD’s on the season. The Middletown defense has scored 3 times and also recorded a safety last week against Delcastle while only giving up an average of 10 points per game. With only 8 seniors you could say that this Middletown team is a year ahead of schedule with most thinking this was a rebuilding season for the Cavaliers. The cowbells will be out in full force Friday night but this is William Penn’s season until someone knocks them off. The Colonials should avenge the 29-7 loss from last season and beat Middletown for the first time since a November 2011 win at Middletown 28-25. That was the last Middletown loss at home.

William Penn 30 Middletown 13[/I]

Other games[/B]

[/B]

Caravel 40 St. Elizabeth 12[/I]….. Caravel got pushed by Archmere but should handle St. E

Caesar Rodney 27 Sussex Central 21[/I]…… CR makes it 2 in a row

Laurel 28 Indian River 14[/I]…..Laurel just got by Woodbridge last week and can’t afford a slip up with Lake Forest up next

Polytech 35 Milford 14…..[/I]Poly has too much offense for the Bucs

Delmar 35 Seaford 6[/I]….. Delmar should roll

Charter 18 Glasgow 16[/I]….. Charter wins to stay out of the Flight A basement

Conrad 30 McKean 8[/I]….. 2 programs going in different directions; question is how good is Conrad?

Concord 34 Delcastle 14[/I]….. Delcastle played poorly against Middletown last week

Hodgson 32 Dickinson 14[/I]….. Jones is back for Hodgson, which is bad news for Dickinson

Mt. Pleasant 16 Brandywine 12[/I]…. Mount Pleasant defense has been playing well lately

Archmere 28 Appo 14…..[/I] Archmere with a win gets much needed DI playoff points in this one

DMA 30 Tatnall 7[/I]….. DMA should halt 2 game losing streak

St. Georges 30 Howard 14[/I]……Howard is confident after knocking off Hodgson but the Hawks are really good[/I]

Last Week: 13-3

Season: 55-16

I’m going to come up with something for St. Mark’s vs. Montclair NJ and the Sallies game.

This post was edited on 10/9 5:00 PM by fanoffootball123

I think the Lake-Woodbridge game will be a lot closer than that. Been to every game of theirs this season so far and they've played better and better each week. Problem with them I've noticed is TOs. Last week I believe they had two. Can't do that against teams like Woodbridge, Laurel, and Archmere these next 3 weeks. They better come to play on D because IMO Westcott is the player in the state. Containing him should be key. Laurels D didn't give up a single point last week(I believe). Woodbridges points came fr their D getting TOs and the return team. I see a close game. Great write-ups as always though.

FOF - if you don't mind, whenever you get a chance, could you send me an email?

Robertrjtb@aol.com

Thank you!

Lake and Woodbridge should be a close game. I guess I'm still stuck on the fact of friends beating Woodbridge. No disrespect to friends they are one of the best coached teams in the state but for them to go down there and beat Woodbridge is puzzling to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT