ADVERTISEMENT

Football Question: Joe Gibbs Offense

Uncle Bumfuzzled

D1AA Prospect
Sep 11, 2012
My X and O guys, explain Joe Gibbs Offense to me. Would it work today in the NFL? Would it work in HS FB?

A lot of guys here are too young to remember The Hogs and The Smurfs.

I know the Redskins (now WFT) won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QB's. I can remember them going long stretches in games without throwing the ball.

Always liked Joe Gibbs.

Last edited:
I know you need one of these guys.. I don't think they make them in College anymore though..

john-riggins.jpg

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
As for the JG-O, I found this explanation that covers it pretty well.. confusion to disguise simplicity sums it up lol

JOE GIBBS: 1-Back:

Joe Gibbs' ideas was get a mobile big man, put him in motion behind the line and call him an H-back. He could get a running start on his block, he could fake the block and be a receiver, or he could be a decoy who took a linebacker or safety with him while the play went the other way.
The beauty of Gibbs' offense was its simplicity. It featured three basic running plays, four passing plays and hundreds of formations and shifts designed to disguise the play.
Until Gibbs retired after the 1992 season, the Redskins' offense was the creation of an offensive coach's mind.

Joe Gibbs FEATURED only a handful of plays. plays. There WERE more (of course), but these were ALWAYS in the game plan, always CALLED the most, & always put in FIRST:

1. Inside Zone
2. Counter (DUECE/TREY/GAP)
3. Hitch Pass (he called it "BEDROCK")
4. Up Route (Fades off Hitch).

About the only other things he did with any regularity was a Play Action (off Inside Zone and/or Counter), and a DRAW play.

MORE of Joe Gibbs' thinking:

JOE GIBBS ON "AUDIBLES"

"The Redskins probably audible less than any team in the NFL. This is because with all the shifts and motions that are used — it eliminates many plays that we might audible to (because of finished alignment of skilled players). Also, the clock is a factor, as the shifts and motions use up most of it. The two plays most frequently used as "audibles" are the following:

1. PASS: "HITCH" (191) — can be thrown from most any look we are in. Also, is good vs. everything, because it converts to an "Up" vs. "press" & "roll" coverage.
2. RUN: "DRAW" (20/30 PAINT) — is a great run audible because it can be run from most any look we are in.

Last edited:
When you think about it, it's kind of opposite of what is done today where as the offense audibles based on the defensive sets and coverages so in a way the defense dictates the offensive play call.

Gibbs offense with all the shifts and sets forced the defense to audible/shift to what they think the offense is running.

who is gaming who? hmmmm

Last edited:
Thanks, Bib. I know the game has changed. I think I will go look at some of the Gibbs’ WFT Super Bowl highlights. I am still amazed that Gibbs won a Super Bowl with Mark Rypien as QB.

Thanks, Bib. I know the game has changed. I think I will go look at some of the Gibbs’ WFT Super Bowl highlights. I am still amazed that Gibbs won a Super Bowl with Mark Rypien as QB.

The 3 SB winning QB's for the "Skins" all shared 2 things in common. They threw a great deep ball and were great at the play-action ball fake.

The 3 SB winning QB's for the "Skins" all shared 2 things in common. They threw a great deep ball and were great at the play-action ball fake.
True...but the QBs were all different. Joe Theismann was at the end of the line. He still had some mobility but was aging (Alex Smith). Doug Williams was Flacco / Plunkett like...could throw the ball threw a brick wall and had the mobility of a brick wall. Where did Mark Rypien come from? Who was he? The unknown Super Bowl QB...

My X and O guys, explain Joe Gibbs Offense to me. Would it work today in the NFL? Would it work in HS FB?

A lot of guys here are too young to remember The Hogs and The Smurfs.

I know the Redskins (now WFT) won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QB's. I can remember them going long stretches in games without throwing the ball.

Always liked Joe Gibbs.
I think we kind of got our answer with Gibbs 2.0. I remember being at FedEx when on the Skins third play of their first game under Gibbs (2.0) Portis went 64 yards for a TD and we all thought he we come Super Bowl!! But sadly it never really materialized. Portis hated the counter trey and later in the season Gibbs and Buges went to a more zone scheme to accommodate Portis who came from Denver and their zone scheme coached ironically by another coach named (Alex) Gibbs. I'm friends with Joe Jacoby...be interesting to get his opinion.

FCA...as Bib knows I like connect the dots of some things and I usually overreach.

Good convo material with Jacoby..I believe the Skins had 3 different running backs on those 3 SB champs. The Hogs as the critical component of the offense were a constant. I think Jacoby was the only one who actually started on all 3 SN teams. Gibbs was a great coach..Joe Bugel? Was the O line coach...

Last edited:
FCA...as Bib knows I like connect the dots of some things and I usually overreach.

Good convo material with Jacoby..I believe the Skins had 3 different running backs on those 3 SB champs. The Hogs as the critical component of the offense were a constant. I think Jacoby was the only one who actually started on all 3 SN teams. Gibbs was a great coach..Joe Bugel? Was the O line coach...
They had numerous RB's Riggo, Byner, Riggs, Ervins, Rodgers, and who can forget Timmy Smith!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT