ADVERTISEMENT

Games Today - April 30, 2015

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
Last day of April. Hopefully the rains hold off later so we can get the games in...

A lot of games today, but unfortunately not a lot of great Top 20 matchups

Central (6-5) @ Caravel (9-2). Central coming off a tough loss to Tech 7-5. Central started the year off 3-0, but is 3-5 since including 3 heartbreaking 1 or 2 run losses. Central still hanging on in their conference, but a loss here to Caravel could hurt they in the playoff points race falling back to .500 Caravel has won three straight and seem to be picking up steam through the middle of the season. Caravel won last years regular season matchup 6-0 in a 2 hit masterpiece from Bilious. Then Caravel 10-run Central in the first round of the playoffs last year. In 13 it was a similar result, Caravel winning 4-1 in the regular season then taking Central out in the 2nd round of the playoffs. In 2012 Central had a huge come from behind win over Caravel.

A.I. Dupont (4-7) @ Appo (9-3). A.I. is in a free-fall right now, after starting 3-1, they have since lost 6 of their last 7 games including a loss to Delcastle. A.I. has only scored 4 runs in their last 3 games. At the plate, A.I. is allowing almost 8 runs per game. Appo on the other hand is having a great season. Appo has lost 2 of their last 4 games, but they were a comeback win by Dover and an 11 inning showdown with St Marks. Appo is scoring almost 8 runs per game so since A.I. is usually giving up 8 runs per game, it seems A.I. might need at least 9 to win this one. But Appo has given up 2 runs or less in 9 of their 12 games this year. Garrett has been Appo's ace and he didn't pitch their last game, so i'm assuming he will be going against A.I. Garrett is 5-1 (3 shutouts) with his only blemish of the season coming against Walter and Hodgson. Of Appo wins this, they will officially know A.I. out of the conference race. In addition an 8th loss would seriously jeopardize A.I.'s shot at the playoffs. A.I. won their matchup in 2014 (2-0), in which Garrett lost a pitchers duel to Pijuan. Appo won the only 2 other meetings in their history.

Sallies (6-3) @ Tower Hill (11-1). Its the game we have all been waiting for (well for those of us waiting for TH to play tougher competition). At 11-1, Tower Hill is having a great season, but as usual most high school baseball fans scoff at their record and don't take them serious because 12 of their games are against their own conference foes that are generally not teams most would rank in the top 30 teams in the state. Its not just that their conference is a weaker one, but that they play each other THREE times. Of course all those wins add up to playoff points as well as an auto bid into the playoffs. Tower Hill in 12 games, hasn't played a single team in my top 20. Before it sounds like i'm bashing TH, they do have games scheduled remaining with Sallies, Archmere and Charter, so for Tower's sake, i would like to see them be successful so that i don't keep awkwardly ranking a 11-1 team as the 27th best team in a state with 49 teams. Now some credit. TH has won 11 straight games, since losing their opener to Milford 5-2. On the mound they have Harris (6-0) and Fagan 3-1). TH has 4 shutouts and 9 games where they only allowed 2 runs or less. Say what you want about their competition, they are doing what they should be doing to defeat the teams on their schedule. Sallies is a team i just can't figure out. Ironically i have seen them three times with their ace pitching and they lost all three, but they were great games against 3 of the better teams in the state (Caravel, St Marks and Appo). But they had less than impressive wins against Glasgow, Cape and recently needing to come from behind in the 7th to beat Newark Charter. Sallies did just beat a good St Georges team 6-1. Sallies has been really light at the plate only scoring 40 runs at the plate in 9 games. But their defense has played very well, only giving up 25 runs over those same 9 games. Sallies shutout Tower Hill last year 7-0, 8-0 in 2013 and 11-0 in 2012. I had to go back to 2011 to find the last time Tower Hill scored a run on Sallies, 18-1 Sals won in 2011. Cmon Tower Hill !!!! A lot of us are routing for you...

Conrad (7-4) @ Mt Pleasant (7-2). Conrad is having a good season. Their pitching and defense has been a pleasant surprise. But their hitting hasn't been very consistent. Their only giving up just over 2 runs per game. Their offense on the surface might seem okay (60 runs over 11 games), but take away their 25 runs against St Thomas More and their 11 runs against Dickinson and they are averaging scoring just over 2 runs per game. In fact, in 7of their 11 games they have scored 3 and under. Its going to be tough to win a lot of high school games if your only scoring 2 or 3 runs. Conrad's big highlight of the season is their 4-1 win over St marks, but that was pretty much negated when they lost to Concord who is 2-8. Mt Pleasant has been floating along unnoticed at 7-2. They have only played 2 teams that are currently in the top 20, a 2-1 win over Wm Penn and a 11-6 loss to St Georges. Conrad lost a 2-1 game last year against Mt P, but won the previous 2 meetings by close margin.

Delmar (4-7) @ Poly (7-4). Delmar started 0-5, but is trying to fight its way back going 4-2 of late with their losses to Tech & Cr, both close games. Poly, after starting 1-3, has been 6-1 since then including wins over Lake, Milford and Dover. Poly is just 1 game behind the conference leader.

other games
Bwine (5-4) @ St E (4-6). Both teams trying to stay relevant for a playoff run.
Concord (2-8) @ Charter (6-3). Concord looking to play spoiler for Charter.
Newark @ Delcastle. 8yaz might be the only person in attendance.
Glasgow @ WmPenn. Penn has put together a good season at 7-5. With 8 losses, Glasgow can only be spoiler
Wood @ Milford. Wood will try to add to Milford's 4 game losing streak.

Reactions: TouchThemAll
How did Seaford hold Dover to 2 runs after getting 10-runned in their first 4 games? Young team that's starting to come together?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT