ADVERTISEMENT

GAMES TODAY - WED MAY 14, 2014

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
Two good matchups today.

#6 Sussex Central (11-4) @ #1 St Marks (14-2). Central has three tough games remaining playing St Marks, Caravel and Polytech over the next few days. They could concievably lose all three and possibly miss out. As i see it, win one of the three and they are in. Central is coming off back to back 10 run wins. But the last time Central played a private school from up north, Sals rocked them 18-2. Now Central faces the #1 team in the state. Central is led by Clay Conaway (4-2) on the mound. Conaway has beaten Smyrna, CR, Lake and had a complete game 1 run loss to Tech. At the the plate Central is led by Oliphant, Williams and Marcelle. St Marks has already locked up a playoff spot and are the front runner for the #1 seed. St Marks is coming off an extra innings win against Tech over the weekend. This wil be St Marks 10th game against a top ten opponent, going 7-2 thus far. St Marks is led by Phillips (6-1) & Spagnolo (5-0) on the mound and despite playing the toughest schedule in the state are giving up less than 3 runs per game. At the plate, they are led by Dominic Disabatino who leads the state in homeruns with 6 as well as Holdren & Perry who both have 2 HR's apiece. St Marks likes to play downstate teams, they are 6-0 this year against CR,IR,Dover,Seaford, Smyrna and Tech. Central is 4-2 against those same teams (losing to Dover and Tech). St Marks won last years matchup 11-1 with 3 long balls and Phillips getting the big win.

#2 A.I. Dupont (12-3) @ #9 Smyrna (13-4). A.I has three games remaining and shouldn't have any trouble making it to the post season (short of a collapse). A strong finish will land them a home game for sure. A.I. had won three straight games before their 7th inning collapse earlier in the week against Hodgson losing 7-2. A.I. has very good pitching with Conner Pijuan (6-1) and Brian Kasey (4-2). A.I. is giving up less than 2 runs per game and have SEVEN shutouts this year, which is tops in the state. Smyrna has pretty much locked up a spot in the post season with points, but a win here in their last regular season game could possibly get them a home game. Smyrna missed the playoffs last year after going 13-5. Smyrna has won 4 straight games coming into this. Smyrna is a pretty good team defensively as well as they are only giving up 3 runs per game. They have three 4-game winners in Dulin, Richardson and Everage.

Nice win. Is Smyrna for real?

This post was edited on 5/14 7:26 PM by 8yaz

St Marks 11 Sussex Central 0
Billy Philips pitched a 1 hitter striking out 13 in 5 innings.

Originally posted by Bigpep2001:
Have you been sleeping?
Was looking for an opinion from someone familiar with the team and has actually seen them play. I haven't. All I have to go on is their record, which can be deceiving.

Fair enough. Defensively I think smyrna can play with any team in the state. Offensively their bats have been hot and cold, although Corey everage was hitting over .500 most of the season and probably finished somewhere in the 425 to 450 range. The are smart on the bases and take advantage mistakes by opposing defenses. Pitching has been surprisingly good considering john Richardson missed 5 games with a severely bruised knee due to a collision in center field during the Newark game. Their no. 2 pitcher shawn dulin broke his pointer finger on his throwing hand during an at bat at Cr and hasn't played since. He should be good to go by next Saturday.

Smyrna is one of those teams that are solid and keep the games close. Look at their scores against decent teams.

W Lake 5-2
W Tech 5-4 (scored 4 in 7th)
L Sus Central 2-3
W Newark 3-2
L Dover 0-5
L CR 2-5
L St Marks 0-3
W POly 3-1
W Sals 6-4
W AI 3-1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT