ADVERTISEMENT

How does “recruiting” ACTUALLY work?

DelaNewb

Tackles too high
Dec 6, 2021
Hey Experts!

This is a question I’ve thought of a lot and have not been able to come up with a good answer.

We always hear talk of “recruiting” kids to play sports at various high schools. We hear about it whether it’s really good 8th graders or high school kids transferring schools.

But what does this process actually look like? Is it coaches talking to kids at open houses? Are coaches contacting kids and their families directly? Are kids actually getting money to play at private schools or getting special preference at charter schools?

While new to DE, I have been around a lot of young athletes and their families and I can’t say I know of any specific cases where a kid actually got money.

It makes me wonder if it’s parents/kids saying “I was recruited to play” when in reality a coach told the kid “a big kid like you would fit in nicely on our team” at an open house.

Anyone have any specific, factual stories of kids getting recruited? Names/schools/coaches not necessary.

And not that anyone asked, but I really don’t like any recruiting at the high school level. I think it really changes the dynamic of the team…it’s coaches essentially telling kids already there “you’re not good enough and winning is paramount”. It also changes the culture of schools by giving kids who can throw a ball better preference in the community.

Anyway, curious of any actual recruiting stories.

Hey Experts!

This is a question I’ve thought of a lot and have not been able to come up with a good answer.

We always hear talk of “recruiting” kids to play sports at various high schools. We hear about it whether it’s really good 8th graders or high school kids transferring schools.

But what does this process actually look like? Is it coaches talking to kids at open houses? Are coaches contacting kids and their families directly? Are kids actually getting money to play at private schools or getting special preference at charter schools?

While new to DE, I have been around a lot of young athletes and their families and I can’t say I know of any specific cases where a kid actually got money.

It makes me wonder if it’s parents/kids saying “I was recruited to play” when in reality a coach told the kid “a big kid like you would fit in nicely on our team” at an open house.

Anyone have any specific, factual stories of kids getting recruited? Names/schools/coaches not necessary.

And not that anyone asked, but I really don’t like any recruiting at the high school level. I think it really changes the dynamic of the team…it’s coaches essentially telling kids already there “you’re not good enough and winning is paramount”. It also changes the culture of schools by giving kids who can throw a ball better preference in the community.

Anyway, curious of any actual recruiting stories.
In my opinion recruiting is when you reach out to a kid in 8th grade or at their current highschool and ask them to come play for your program and promise them playing time and other things. What I don’t consider recruiting is if a kid wants to transfer to a different school for playing time or go to a better team and the coaches do not talk to him. For recent recruiting stories I would look at Middletown (Ik it might look a little biased) They got a QB from Maryland (Austin Troyer) and a safety from Philly(Ronnell Davis) both from high profile highschools in the east coast. How does that happen. Do these kids just love Middletown and are willing to move there or is someone at Middletown in their ear and making promises. If anyone has other stories please tell them. The best way to recruit in Delaware and anywhere honestly is to have the resources and the coaches to make players better. It will attract talent and make better kids want to be there. For example Coach Judy at Smyrna is a great person and a great coach and many people respect him. Salesianum just built like a $20 million stadium that will certainly attract talent. They also got rid of the power I offense and run a spread now so I’m sure they will be very good for a long time. That’s just my opinion tho. I wonder what other people have to say.

Typical recruiting like as in college where the HC or Coordinators actively recruit or visit a players isn't what happens. Recruiting is typically done through current players, parents or maybe "friends" of the program and sometimes from lower profile assistant coaches through their connections. It is not uncommon for a coach to bring in asst coaches who have connections with the youth leagues or that were even youth league coaches themselves to get their kid and teammates to come. In Middletown's case it's obvious someone has a connection to Philly players and I would guess someone has a connection to Chris Baucia's QB Factory program.

A newer form of recruiting is scheduling higher profile or OOS games to put out the illusion your kid will get more exposure and offers if you come here. Middletown didn't schedule these games they have because they think they can win. The schedule is to encourage more players to come there. Players and parents can't help but want to go play the likes of IMG, Massilon, SJC. They all have visons of their kid shining vs those teams and getting that offer. I am certain Middletown's schedule will land them some transfers this summer.

I am not saying anything is really wrong with all this. Ultimately it's the parents/players decision where they want to go to school and play and Delaware is a school choice state. As long as there is no pay to play or special privileges going on its all good.

Coaches targeting and contacting kids already enrolled in other high schools is still taboo and should remain so. Middle School kids are fair game IMO again as long as there are no promises being made regarding tuition, playing time, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: DelaNewb
In my opinion recruiting is when you reach out to a kid in 8th grade or at their current highschool and ask them to come play for your program and promise them playing time and other things. What I don’t consider recruiting is if a kid wants to transfer to a different school for playing time or go to a better team and the coaches do not talk to him. For recent recruiting stories I would look at Middletown (Ik it might look a little biased) They got a QB from Maryland (Austin Troyer) and a safety from Philly(Ronnell Davis) both from high profile highschools in the east coast. How does that happen. Do these kids just love Middletown and are willing to move there or is someone at Middletown in their ear and making promises. If anyone has other stories please tell them. The best way to recruit in Delaware and anywhere honestly is to have the resources and the coaches to make players better. It will attract talent and make better kids want to be there. For example Coach Judy at Smyrna is a great person and a great coach and many people respect him. Salesianum just built like a $20 million stadium that will certainly attract talent. They also got rid of the power I offense and run a spread now so I’m sure they will be very good for a long time. That’s just my opinion tho. I wonder what other people have to say.

Just to be clear, I’m not looking for specific coaches/schools/teams doing any recruiting. Just curious of the inner workings.

I’m curious how it actually works? As an example, stories like “my best friend’s son was recruited by a charter/private school and I know factually that he received $3000 a year and it’s paid by boosters”.

You are asking the same question I am “how does it happen”? I don’t know. Did a coach reach out? Did a coach work at a camp and saw a kid and said “you should come check us out! You’d fit well”. Or was it more like “move down here, we’ll help you get enrolled and you’ll be a starter right away”?

Typical recruiting like as in college where the HC or Coordinators actively recruit or visit a players isn't what happens. Recruiting is typically done through current players, parents or maybe "friends" of the program and sometimes from lower profile assistant coaches through their connections. It is not uncommon for a coach to bring in asst coaches who have connections with the youth leagues or that were even youth league coaches themselves to get their kid and teammates to come. In Middletown's case it's obvious someone has a connection to Philly players and I would guess someone has a connection to Chris Baucia's QB Factory program.

A newer form of recruiting is scheduling higher profile or OOS games to put out the illusion your kid will get more exposure and offers if you come here. Middletown didn't schedule these games they have because they think they can win. The schedule is to encourage more players to come there. Players and parents can't help but want to go play the likes of IMG, Massilon, SJC. They all have visons of their kid shining vs those teams and getting that offer. I am certain Middletown's schedule will land them some transfers this summer.

I am not saying anything is really wrong with all this. Ultimately it's the parents/players decision where they want to go to school and play and Delaware is a school choice state. As long as there is no pay to play or special privileges going on its all good.

Coaches targeting and contacting kids already enrolled in other high schools is still taboo and should remain so. Middle School kids are fair game IMO again as long as there are no promises being made regarding tuition, playing time, etc.

Thanks BIB. This makes a lot of sense to me.

I guess I’m more interested in the pay to play cases or special privileges given. You hear whispers, but I’ve never heard of a factual case.

Which makes me think it’s just talk.

Thanks BIB. This makes a lot of sense to me.

I guess I’m more interested in the pay to play cases or special privileges given. You hear whispers, but I’ve never heard of a factual case.

Which makes me think it’s just talk.
Also a lot of parents will tell their buddies and what not their kid is getting a scholarship to go to this school or that when in reality they are embarrassed to say they are getting needs based financial aide. There are also instances where someone may sponsor (pay for) a kid to go to a private school. Sometimes it's a friend of their kid who want to go to school together or just someone who wants to help a less fortunate family. I mean there is no rule against me paying for a neighbors kid to go to a school. That's probably rare though. Most the money being paid is through financial aide and a the schools all use a outside service to determine the aide given. It is almost always just a percentage not the whole thing

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I’m not looking for specific coaches/schools/teams doing any recruiting. Just curious of the inner workings.

I’m curious how it actually works? As an example, stories like “my best friend’s son was recruited by a charter/private school and I know factually that he received $3000 a year and it’s paid by boosters”.

You are asking the same question I am “how does it happen”? I don’t know. Did a coach reach out? Did a coach work at a camp and saw a kid and said “you should come check us out! You’d fit well”. Or was it more like “move down here, we’ll help you get enrolled and you’ll be a starter right away”?
For private schools it’s pretty simple they promise financial aid or free tuition for their athletic ability. For Vo Techs and Charters and Military schools you simply just reach to the kid and his parents and tell them your school is better than other schools for x y and z + it is free and no school zones. For Public schools that’s when it becomes tricky and it makes me wonder how Middletown is getting so many out of state kids. For one you have to live in the state and district the school is in or choice in through some program (rumors is the schools gives people addresses to use in the district) and you have to convince the kids and his parents that the sacrifice will pay off with dealing all that hassle of moving and other factors.

For private schools it’s pretty simple they promise financial aid or free tuition for their athletic ability.

Patently untrue statement regardless what some parent may say their kid got. The only promise that can be made regarding financial aide is their school offers it and maybe something along the lines of their school has a large fund available. All private schools offer financial aide some have more than others in the coffers and they all use an outside source that the parents apply to and get approved for aide. The service usually approves a percentage that the parent should be able to pay. The application is very much like FAFSA if any of you have filed for that. SSA or SSS is the service most of them use . Go to any of the private schools website about tuition and financial aide and there will be a link to the service they use. The coaches have no influence on this as it is automated based off bills and paystubs and what not. If you don't qualify for FA then you can apply for a loan. Or a combo of Loan and Financial Aide to get it all paid for.

This is Sallies

Financial Aid​

Salesianum strives to provide an affordable education for all interested families. We have partnered with School and Student Services (SSS) to provide our financial aid review. Parents can apply for aid starting October 2, 2021, at www.sssbynais.org. The deadline to apply through SSS is December 1st. We invite you to use this link for more information on how to apply. Salesianum's school code is 7054.

You can contact the SSS Helpline at 1-800-344-8328 to assist you. Any additional questions regarding the financial aid application process may be directed to mwinchell@salesianum.org.

Financial Aid is reviewed on a yearly basis. Current Families must re-apply each year.

TUITION LOANS​

Another tuition management option is a personal loan. Salesianum has partnered with the following company to offer maximum flexibility in choosing a loan.

DEXSTA Federal Credit Union Loan
DEXSTA FCU offers unsecured personal loans that can be used to pay tuition. Families must qualify for membership. Visit www.dexsta.com for more information.

Patently untrue statement regardless what some parent may say their kid got. The only promise that can be made regarding financial aide is their school offers it and maybe something along the lines of their school has a large fund available. All private schools offer financial aide some have more than others in the coffers and they all use an outside source that the parents apply to and get approved for aide. The service usually approves a percentage that the parent should be able to pay. The application is very much like FAFSA if any of you have filed for that. SSA or SSS is the service most of them use . Go to any of the private schools website about tuition and financial aide and there will be a link to the service they use. The coaches have no influence on this as it is automated based of bill and paystubs and what not. If you don't qualify for FA then you can apply for a loan. Or a combo of Loan and Financial Aide to get it all paid for.

This is Sallies

Financial Aid​

Salesianum strives to provide an affordable education for all interested families. We have partnered with School and Student Services (SSS) to provide our financial aid review. Parents can apply for aid starting October 2, 2021, at www.sssbynais.org. The deadline to apply through SSS is December 1st. We invite you to use this link for more information on how to apply. Salesianum's school code is 7054.

You can contact the SSS Helpline at 1-800-344-8328 to assist you. Any additional questions regarding the financial aid application process may be directed to mwinchell@salesianum.org.

Financial Aid is reviewed on a yearly basis. Current Families must re-apply each year.

TUITION LOANS​

Another tuition management option is a personal loan. Salesianum has partnered with the following company to offer maximum flexibility in choosing a loan.

DEXSTA Federal Credit Union Loan
DEXSTA FCU offers unsecured personal loans that can be used to pay tuition. Families must qualify for membership. Visit www.dexsta.com for more information.
Sallies has there own pool of money Jeff Bezos step dad went there and donated $20 million for the financial aid pool. Also many other alumni donate to this pool. If you need financial aid they will give to you. They have the resources to make it happen. This is for any kid not just athletes. I know people who went there and many of them were on financial aid. Not many people pay the full price or use loans to go there. Saint Marks and St E’s is a little different they are part of the Diocese of Wilmington and they share their financial aid with all the schools in the diocese. They don’t have as much money to use so they can’t accept as many students as Sallies does.

Sallies has there own pool of money Jeff Bezos step dad went there and donated $20 million for the financial aid pool. Also many other alumni donate to this pool. If you need financial aid they will give to you. They have the resources to make it happen. This is for any kid not just athletes. I know people who went there and many of them were on financial aid. Not many people pay the full price or use loans to go there. Saint Marks and St E’s is a little different they are part of the Diocese of Wilmington and they share their financial aid with all the schools in the diocese. They don’t have as much money to use so they can’t accept as many students as Sallies does.
yes Sallies does have a large pool but you still have to qualify through SSS. Sallies gives out about 2 million a year in financial aide and academic scholarships. There are rules, you have to qualify through SSS for financial aide or you have to score in 90% national percentile on the entrance exam for academic scholarship. Athletics play no role in either programs

Tuition​

Tuition for the 2022-23 school year is $18,300.

Academic Scholarships​

Salesianum offers merit-based academic scholarships and need-based financial aid grants totaling more than $2,000,000 each year. Academic scholarships are awarded to a student based on his score on the Entrance Exam. Students scoring in the 90th national percentile or higher may qualify. Families may also apply for need-based financial aid.

So if you do the math aprox 1000 students x 18,300 tuition totaling 18,300,00 tuition due of which 2,000,000 is paid from aide or academic scholarship or 11%

11% that would be full tuition for 110 students but we knw more than that receive money.

We already know about 30% of Sallies students receive needs based financial aide per Delaware Online article.

The average Financial Aide award is probably 20-30 % of the tuition

Last edited:
yes Sallies does have a large pool but you still have to qualify through SSS. Sallies gives out about 2 million a year in financial aide and academic scholarships. There are rules, you have to qualify through SSS for financial aide or you have to score in 90% national percentile on the entrance exam for academic scholarship. Athletics play no role in either programs

Tuition​

Tuition for the 2022-23 school year is $18,300.

Academic Scholarships​

Salesianum offers merit-based academic scholarships and need-based financial aid grants totaling more than $2,000,000 each year. Academic scholarships are awarded to a student based on his score on the Entrance Exam. Students scoring in the 90th national percentile or higher may qualify. Families may also apply for need-based financial aid.
Trust me they make exceptions for people. So do most private schools.

Trust me they make exceptions for people. So do most private schools.

Trust me I was involved in placing kids from our Harco Horns program and other rec programs in private schools in the MIAA. I know the process well and also know many parents do not or they think their kid is so special the coach will get them in and for free ..lol just saying there is a process and part of the process the school nor coach has much say in and there is no free.

Not saying Sallies doesn't have people that may sponsor a kid here and there but that's good on them and nobodies business but theirs as long as the sponsorship is not contingent on the kid playing a sport

Trust me I was involved in placing kids from our Harco Horns program and other rec programs in private schools in the MIAA. I know the process well and also no many parents do not or think their kid is special so the coach will get them in ..lol just saying there is a process and part of the process the school nor coach has much say in.

Not saying Sallies doesn't have people that may sponsor a kid here and there but that's good on them and nobodies business but theirs as long as the sponsorship is not contingent on the kid playing a sport
I’m not saying it’s wrong but private schools will definitely help kids if they are good at sports get into their school.

I’m not saying it’s wrong but private schools will definitely help kids if they are good at sports get into their school.
Not any more then they would help any kid that is deserving and willing to do the work. It's really simple. If you test in and qualify for aide you will get it. Now whether they lower the entrance exam requirements or not for ballers I can't speak on. The school handles that internally.

There used to be a day when schools like Sallies or St Marks and most of the big MIAA schools there were more applicants than there were spots for. Like way more and it was very competitive to get in. Not anymore , now a days they can't fill the seats so they have had to lower standards just to try and fill up the class and of course they are offering way more aide then ever before. People may misconstrue these changes causing a demographic difference in the school as recruiting as well. It's that old stigma from the late 70's and early 80's that if there is a black kid in the private school then they only got in because of being recruited in for sports. Hopefully most of that sentiment is gone today but I am sure there are some who still think that way.

Last edited:
DIAA Board Agenda this week:
II. Action Items
A. Request to Waive Regulation 1009-2.7 by Middletown High School Student – 2022-7- 1*
D. DIAA Correspondence Received
i. Email Received Middletown Football Complaint – Residency
ii. Email Received Middletown Football – Years of Participation

II. Action Items
A. Request to Waive Regulation 1009-2.7 by Middletown High School Student – 2022-7- 1*
Someone snitched

II. Action Items

A. Request to Waive Regulation 1009-2.7

That is looking to waive the years of participation rule. Pretty sure we all know who that is for the same one they got dinged for playing an ineligible player. Good luck with that.

II. Action Items
What ever happened to AI's attempt to move down? Was that addressed in June? If so, what was the verdict? It will be hard for them to be competitive in 2A, so I understand why they want to move down. The problem with them moving is it can open a panora's box.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
A. Request to Waive Regulation 1009-2.7

That is looking to waive the years of participation rule. Pretty sure we all know who that is for the same one they got dinged for playing an ineligible player. Good luck with that.
I know why he has to do a 5th year but it is personal and I don’t want to put the information out publicly. There’s a good chance he does get it. What I’m more concerned with is the residency complaint. That’s very interesting.

What ever happened to AI's attempt to move down? Was that addressed in June? If so, what was the verdict? It will be hard for them to be competitive in 2A, so I understand why they want to move down. The problem with them moving is it can open a panora's box.
on this weeks agenda again

Reactions: Woody_Wood
I know why he has to do a 5th year but it is personal and I don’t want to put the information out publicly. There’s a good chance he does get it. What I’m more concerned with is the residency complaint. That’s very interesting.

Email complaints without evidence and proof are a waste of everyone's time.

It is a very tough one to get and very rare it gets approved. You have to prove a hardship prevented you from being able to go to school or do your school work to graduate on time and that you weren't able to play. Usually a severe sickness or injury. Do you know if this player participated in football 4 years? If its the same one I know he participated in the last 3 and was on a roster for 4.

2.7.3 Waiver of the Years of Participation Rule

2.7.3.1 "Hardship" shall be defined as extenuating circumstances peculiar to the student athlete caused by unforeseen events beyond the election, control, or creation of the student athlete, the student's family, and the student’s school which (1) deprive the student of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sports season; and (2) preclude the student from completing the academic requirements for graduation within the normal period of eligibility; and (3) deprive the student of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sport. The waiver provision is intended to restore eligibility that has been lost as a result of a hardship situation. Injury, illness, or accident, which cause a student to fail to meet the basic requirements, are possible causes for a hardship consideration.

2.7.3.1.1 A waiver shall not be granted under this section where DIAA finds that the student was academically eligible pursuant to DIAA's minimum passing work standards but was ineligible to participate under more stringent locally adopted academic standards and where the local school board or board of directors has adopted its own waiver or exemption policy.

2.7.3.1.2 A clear and direct causal relationship must exist between the alleged hardship condition and the failure of the student to complete the academic requirements for graduation within the normal period of eligibility and the loss of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sports season.

2.7.3.1.3 The burden of proof rests with the student in conjunction with the waiver process as described in Section 9.0 of 14 DE Admin. Code 1006. Claims of extended illness, debilitating injury, emotional stress, etc. must be accompanied by appropriate documentation. Evidence must be submitted to verify that the student, their parents, legal guardians, or Relative Caregiver sought assistance to ameliorate the effects of the hardship condition.

Email complaints without evidence and proof are a waste of everyone's time.

It is a very tough one to get and very rare it gets approved. You have to prove a hardship prevented you from being able to go to school or do your school work to graduate on time and that you weren't able to play. Usually a severe sickness or injury. Do you know if this player participated in football 4 years? If its the same one I know he participated in the last 3 and was on a roster for 4.

2.7.3 Waiver of the Years of Participation Rule

2.7.3.1 "Hardship" shall be defined as extenuating circumstances peculiar to the student athlete caused by unforeseen events beyond the election, control, or creation of the student athlete, the student's family, and the student’s school which (1) deprive the student of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sports season; and (2) preclude the student from completing the academic requirements for graduation within the normal period of eligibility; and (3) deprive the student of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sport. The waiver provision is intended to restore eligibility that has been lost as a result of a hardship situation. Injury, illness, or accident, which cause a student to fail to meet the basic requirements, are possible causes for a hardship consideration.

2.7.3.1.1 A waiver shall not be granted under this section where DIAA finds that the student was academically eligible pursuant to DIAA's minimum passing work standards but was ineligible to participate under more stringent locally adopted academic standards and where the local school board or board of directors has adopted its own waiver or exemption policy.

2.7.3.1.2 A clear and direct causal relationship must exist between the alleged hardship condition and the failure of the student to complete the academic requirements for graduation within the normal period of eligibility and the loss of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sports season.

2.7.3.1.3 The burden of proof rests with the student in conjunction with the waiver process as described in Section 9.0 of 14 DE Admin. Code 1006. Claims of extended illness, debilitating injury, emotional stress, etc. must be accompanied by appropriate documentation. Evidence must be submitted to verify that the student, their parents, legal guardians, or Relative Caregiver sought assistance to ameliorate the effects of the hardship condition.
He had 2 junior years. 2020 2021 he was a junior for both years. I think there is a good chance he will get the waiver based on what I have heard. However I could see the DIAA deny the waiver but who knows what the DIAA will do. Middletown has been acting really shady the past couple months and that could hurt them with this players waiver.

He had 2 junior years. 2020 2021 he was a junior for both years. I think there is a good chance he will get the waiver based on what I have heard. However I could see the DIAA deny the waiver but who knows what the DIAA will do. Middletown has been acting really shady the past couple months and that could hurt them with this players waiver.
If he participated for 4 years there is no waiver to play 5 years. The waiver is to play your 5th year of high school providing you missed a season due to an extreme hardship that also prevented you from doing your school work causing your to not be able to graduate on time but if you have played 4 your done and not eligible for the waiver.

It looks as though MT is throwing up a hail mary in effort to save face with the kids people or whatever, They should have been working on this waiver going back to last year. A month before the season is pretty late. It looks like this poor kid has been getting poor advice for awhile. 4 different high schools and what not. I am inclined to hope he gets it because he should have done gone the cyber school route to graduate and should be headed to college or a prep school instead of hoping for a miracle to even play this year. If I was his folks I would be calling St Frances or better yet Life Christian Academy el pronto.. JMHO

Last edited:
If he participated for 4 years there is no waiver to play 5 years. The waiver is to play your 5th year of high school providing you missed a season due to an extreme hardship that also prevented you from doing your school work causing your to not be able to graduate on time but if you have played 4 your done and not eligible for the waiver.
If that is the case than I would be wrong. However the player played in 2020 but didn’t finish the school year due to the personal situation. That’s why he was a junior last year. Do you know how that would work?

If that is the case than I would be wrong. However the player played in 2020 but didn’t finish the school year due to the personal situation. That’s why he was a junior last year. Do you know how that would work?

It doesn't work. We would have a history of 5th year players in Delaware if it did. The rules are pretty specific. Hardship has to meet two criteria. 1) prevented your from going to school or doing your school work 2) prevented you from playing ie... major injury, illness..

That kind of hardship you are mentioning may get you a waiver of academic eligibility if the hardship caused you not to be able do your school work or a waiver of transfer rule if the hardship caused you to change schools. It wont get you a 5th year of playing.

It doesn't work. We would have a history of 5th year players in Delaware if it did. The rules are pretty specific. Hardship has to meet two criteria. 1) prevented your from going to school or doing your school work 2) prevented you from playing ie... major injury, illness..

That kind of hardship you are mentioning may get you a waiver of academic eligibility if the hardship caused you not to be able do your school work or a waiver of transfer rule if the hardship caused you to change schools. It wont get you a 5th year of playing.
The difference is that this student was an out of state student and had to leave school early in 2020 due to a personal issue and didn’t pass his all of his classes for his junior year. Than transferred to Middletown and had to be a junior because he didn’t pass the year before. Now he is a senior looking for a 5th year. Has this ever happened before? And are you saying there is 0% he gets a waiver under those circumstances?

The difference is that this student was an out of state student and had to leave school early in 2020 due to a personal issue and didn’t pass his all of his classes for his junior year. Than transferred to Middletown and had to be a junior because he didn’t pass the year before. Now he is a senior looking for a 5th year. Has this ever happened before? And are you saying there is 0% he gets a waiver under those circumstances?
No that does not qualify. It may have qualified for an academic ineligibility waiver for him to play last year had MT applied for it prior to the season though. For one he played in 2020 and 2021 and two he was not injured or sick to where he was physically unable to do or make up school work like over past summer and this summer to graduate on time. It's not even close to meeting the 5th year waiver requirements.

In the 12 years I have been here I can't recall one hardship waiver for a 5th year being approved. There may have been one kid who got in a major car accident or something.

In high school you can't be a junior again (it can only be your 3rd year of high school once). Its all about credits. If you don't have the credits to graduate your senior year then you take summer school or come back as a 5th year senior until you earn the required credits to graduate.

I moved a lot as well as had all kinds of family issues. My Senior year I had to take English 11 and English 12 as well as two Sciences and a Math to graduate. Hell it would have been nice if I could just could have taken an easier schedule and come back a year and play football again a year older. lol

For private schools it’s pretty simple they promise financial aid or free tuition for their athletic ability. For Vo Techs and Charters and Military schools you simply just reach to the kid and his parents and tell them your school is better than other schools for x y and z + it is free and no school zones.

I know this is the rhetoric. I HEAR this exact thing.

I’m asking if this actually happens. Does anyone know factually that this is true? Perhaps a friend of yours has a kid that has this arrangement that XXXX private school promised their little Johnny 75% of tuition done by an anonymous sponsor (or something like that).

Sounds like you don’t know the answer, like me.

And man, you have it out for Middletown!

What are your specific storied that you factually know of a kid getting money for athletics?

No names or schools, just how did it go down?

In high school you can't be a junior again (it can only be your 3rd year of high school once). Its all about credits. If you don't have the credits to graduate your senior year then you take summer school or come back as a 5th year senior until you earn the required credits to graduate.

I moved a lot as well as had all kinds of family issues. My Senior year I had to take English 11 and English 12 as well as two Sciences and a Math to graduate. Hell it would have been nice if I could just could have taken an easier schedule and come back a year and play football again a year older. lol
We’ll see what happens. I feel really bad for the kid especially since if he can’t play football that will have a huge impact on his future. This Thursday’s board meeting should have a huge impact on what will happen with Middletown this season. I would not be surprised if there will be consequences in the future for the program.

What are your specific storied that you factually know of a kid getting money for athletics?

No names or schools, just how did it go down?
You’re good at football you should come to our school because are school is better and we have this and that. Can you afford the tuition? The family says no we cannot. They apply for financial aid and the coaches/school make sure they get as much as possible. I should add that if the family can afford tuition they will not help them get more money

There’s an understanding of who it is. If you do some research it is not that hard to find.
Besides the fact we discussed this on here months ago. Which really makes it weird MT waited until now to apply for the waiver. Really puts the kid in a bad situation to scramble late if he doesn't get it. Which I can't see a scenario where he would. At least not according to the posted rules

Besides the fact we discussed this on here months ago. Which really makes it weird MT waited until now to apply for the waiver. Really puts the kid in a bad situation to scramble late if he doesn't get it. Which I can't see a scenario where he would. At least not according to the posted rules
The only option in my head would be a prep school. Hopefully he can go to one if he does not get the waiver

The only option in my head would be a prep school. Hopefully he can go to one if he does not get the waiver

Most PREP programs require you to have graduated high school. He could go to one of the programs that take reclassers like Life Christian or a St Frances. He wouldn't see the field at SFA though not this year. His best bet being he has offers is to just stay at MT and graduate early even if he has to take online classes. So he might be able to early enroll n College. Early enroll figuratively speaking

ADVERTISEMENT