ADVERTISEMENT

HS Division 1 & Division 2 Playoff Points

HSftballlaxFan

D1AA Prospect
Oct 4, 2008
Here you guys go......I tried my best. Hopefully everything is accounted and correct. I have been wrong before, as mentioned in previous posts, out of state games are tricky, because its not the enrollment of THIS YEAR, but the enrollment total the day the contract was signed. Please feel free to question and explain where I messed up.

When it comes to D1, the Parathesis (sp?) points are assuming a William Penn win tonight against Concord.
As far as D2, I have not yet received a final of the Brandywine/Hodgson, Wilmington Friends/Tatnall, or Tower Hill/St. Andrews games, therefore "IM ASSUMING" the favorite team wins, to give their points. Will fix their points if outcome is different.

Have Fun!

HS PLAYOFF POINTS (*) = A William Penn win
William Penn - 37/(42)
Middletown - 37 (+1) = 38
St. Marks - 30 (+1) = 31
Cape Henlopen - 34
Salesianum - 22 (+1) = 23
Sussex Tech - 35
Newark - 37 (+1) = 38
Concord -27 (+1) = (28)/32
Smyrna - 23
A.I. Dupont - 20 (+1) = 21
Appoquinimink - 10 (+1) = 11
Charter - 9
Delcastle - 17
Glasgow - 16
Caesar Rodney - 16 +1 =17
Dover - 12 +1 = 13
Polytech - 17 +1 = 18
Sussex Central - 16

TOP 6 MAKE PLAYOFFS (if started today)
#1 William Penn (Bye Week)
#2 Middletown (Bye Week)
#3 Newark vs. #6 St. Marks
#4 Sussex Tech vs. #5 Cape Henlopen

HS PLAYOFF POINTS
Brandywine - 12 +1 = 13
Christiana - 4 +1 = 5
Dickinson - 12 +1 = 13
Hodgson - 18 +1 = 19
Howard - 14 +1 = 15
Mckean - 0 +1 = 1
Mount Pleasant - 12 +1 +1 = 14
St. Georges - 30
Archmere - 22
Conrad - 20
DMA - 17/24
Delmar - 12 +1 = 13
Indian River - 14 +1 +1 = 16
Lake Forest - 30
Laurel - 22 +1 = 23
Milford- 7 +1 = 8
Seaford - 5 +1 +1 = 7
Woodbridge
Tatnall - 8 +1 = 9
Tower Hill - 20
Wilmington Friends - 28
Caravel - 24 +1 = 25

TOP 8 MAKE THE PLAYOFFS (If started today)
#1 St. Georges vs. #8 Tower Hill/Conrad
#2 Lake Forest vs. #7 Archmere/Tower Hill
#3 Wilmington Friends vs. #6 Laurel/Archmere
#4 Caravel vs. #5 DMA/Laurel

This post was edited on 10/18 8:43 PM by HSftballlaxFan

Middletown owns tiebreaker over Newark (Most Opponents Wins)

St. Georges owns tiebreaker over Lake Forest (Most Opponents Wins)

HS, looks good, but i do have one question. It looks to me that Salesianum may have four DII teams on their schedule again this year. Like you said out of state teams can be tricky, so I'm posting this as a question not a correction.

DMA is obviously DII, Glen Mills and Poly Prep were both DII last year and it appears that both were home and home contracts (besides current enrollment figures reflect that they would still be DII if either or both were new contracts this year). So that leaves Martin Luther KIng. The PIAA has their enrollment at 852 as of October 15th, 2013. That is the most current figure that I can find. This contract was likely signed sometime between this date and before the begining of the 2014-15 school year. It looks as though new enrollment totals aren't released untill after the begining of the current school year starts. So it seems to me that the PIAA figure is likley the figure at the time the contract was submitted.

If this is the case and Salesianum does have four DII teams on the schedule their current point total would be 22 + 1 = 23.

Can anyone confirm or refute this?

PIAA MLK Profile

Yes, I have four D2 teams for Sallies. I believe I also have 3-4 D2 teams for Cape.

My question, and this is to anyone really. I know for some schools it is tough to schedule games, so you pretty much take what you can get, but knowing that points are so crucial in Division 1, why would a team schedule any more than one D2 team? Its not going to affect Cape Henlopen that much besides seeding, but for Salesianum, where your two or three losses could be death row. Funny scenario, what if Concord pulls the upset tonight over Penn? St. Marks is out of contention and would most likely have to win out to even just get a 6th seed. Sallies already has to win out and pray for bonus points.

So my question, why would you schedule more than one D2 team. Ive never been a fan of D1-D2 games for teams that are usually in playoff hunts. Those points can determined playing on the road against a Sallies, Middletown, St. Marks than playing a home game against one of the lesser.

And your right, I accidently counted the Poly Prep game as a win. Sallies has 22 +1 = 23

This post was edited on 10/18 8:42 PM by HSftballlaxFan

Couldn't agree more with you on the scheduling HS. I guess coaches and AD's figure win your games and let the chips fall where they may. I'm of the philosophy that you can't win it if your not in it, so schedule to give your team the best chance to make the field.

I have they same as you for Cape, either 3 or 4 DII teams, but it doesn't look as though it will matter as far as them making the field, just their seeding.

FYI.. The PIAA numbers are grades 9-11.. Just like MPSSAA.. The numbers for DIAA will include grade 12 ... cant use those

Wow, The Sals are tied for 8th in D1 with Symrna? They definitely will need help to make the playoffs.

I think the PIAA numbers are male only for football. That would definitely make MLK a D1 school. The PIAA website says MLK has 507 males in grades 9-11.

Originally posted by ravensrooster2:
FYI.. The PIAA numbers are grades 9-11.. Just like MPSSAA.. The numbers for DIAA will include grade 12 ... cant use those
I didn't know that RR2, any insight as to why they don't include 12th gade? Just curious.

AP boy, The PIAA site lists numbers for both male and female. 507 male and 345 female for 852 total students.

Of all the sites that I can find enrollment figures for MLK most reflect around 850 students, I did find one that lists around 1080, so who knows?

I guess if your doing points do 2 projections one if they are DI and one for DII.

If they are DII Sallies can only get a max of 46 points, thats probally on the outside looking in. If DI they can get a max of 48, better odds but I would think they need help.

Most years the last team(s) in for DI are usually around 45-46. But with both conferences being top heavy, this year the number looks to be around 48-49.

Thanks for the info RR2
This post was edited on 10/18 10:39 PM by cduk13

Originally posted by APboy:
I think the PIAA numbers are male only for football. That would definitely make MLK a D1 school. The PIAA website says MLK has 507 males in grades 9-11.
You're right in that the PIAA only uses male enrollment to determine classification. However the DIAA uses total enrollment for coed schools and doubles the enrollment for single sex schools to determine classification.

The cutoff number to determine division classification for this year is 1098, so based on the 852 enrollment for MLK grades 9-11, their 12th grade class would have to be 246 or higher to qualify as DI in Delaware. I get the feeling that MLK is right around the 1098 count , and that none of us will know for sure untill the playoff field is officially set by the DIAA.

The only way to accurately do the play-off points is you have to have access to what the OOS school put as their current enrollment when the game contract was made.. That is the number that is used. If its a two year deal that number is the number for both games even if the school has a spike in enrollment the next year..

The only way to accurately do the play-off points is you have to have access to what the OOS school put as their current enrollment when the game contract was made.. That is the number that is used. If its a two year deal that number is the number for both games even if the school has a spike in enrollment the next year..
You're right, one can never be 100% accurate when trying to track points. I have been attempting to do it yearly since the mid 80's, and have found that if you strive to get as accurate information as possible you can greatly increase your chances of getting it right. That is all that I am trying to do here with MLK. I'm well versed with the process and system after attempting to track the points all these years, but I am impressed with your knowledge of the system considering that you have only been around Delaware high school football for 4-5 years.

Originally posted by cduk13:

You're right, one can never be 100% accurate when trying to track points. I have been attempting to do it yearly since the mid 80's, and have found that if you strive to get as accurate information as possible you can greatly increase your chances of getting it right. That is all that I am trying to do here with MLK. I'm well versed with the process and system after attempting to track the points all these years, but I am impressed with your knowledge of the system considering that you have only been around Delaware high school football for 4-5 years.
Thaksn Cduk.. fyi my post wasn't directed to anyone in particular .. I know you know the drill.. Was just a general statement on the topic directed to the masses..

I figured as much RR2, I just threw it out there in case anyone new to the board was wondering if I had a clue on how the playoff point system works. I thought it might help fool them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT