ADVERTISEMENT

Longer Baseball Season

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
This is the point of the season we all realize baseball is more than half way done for most teams and we wish there were more games. So i will start the whining....

I really would like to see more games. At least 21 games, but preferably 24 games. I know there are financial considerations, team depth issues, weather considerations and scheduling. But i think those can all be worked out. I really do. And trust me, i don't want to do anything to risk the health of the kids. In fact i would propose some quick safety issues like no games when temps are under 40 and stricter pitching limits, especially in the beginning of the season.

But lets add Saturday games every week. How great would it be for us working folks to actually get to our kids games. In fact, lets have Saturday double headers. We had some great non conference 1 and 2 runs games this weekend like Penn/St E, Mtown @ Arch, Concord @ Conrad, New Charter @ Sallies. Why not play 2 ??? I know if its a rainout you would have 2 games to makeup, but then play on Sunday to make it up. You certainly wouldn't have to schedule every weekend as doubles, so there would be room to make up games. As far as transportation, double headers would keep that cost down if its an issue. Double headers would help with scheduling as well. If you agreed to play one on Saturday, why not play two. Even if we only add 3 games to the schedule, it wouldn't be that hard.

Now if thats just not possible then i say expand the playoffs. Two ways, first i would increase the number of teams and then increase the later rounds especially two a 3 game series. Jump to 24 teams and have a play in game for seeds 9-24, one game...top 8 get a bye. We now have 49 high school teams, lets invite nearly half to the playoffs. If we are worried about adding too many days to the playoff, then we could eliminate two rounds the first weekend by playing first round play in on Saturday, with winners advancing to Sunday against 1 through 8. Or by starting the games start on Saturday with seeds 9-16 playing at noon at the venue of the 1-8 seeds. So regardless of seeding...the winner of the play in game plays that 1-8 seed afterwards around 3 pm. I personally like the first, playing on Saturday then Sunday. Then quarter finals on Tues, Semi finals thursday. That weekend is a three game championship series. Either two on Saturday, then if needed on Sunday? I would love to see the Semi's to have a best of three as well, but that would certainly require more days to complete.

We couldn't lengthen the season and lengthen the playoffs, because that would definetely require extending the season. But i think we should do one or the other. I would prefer the longer playoffs if i'm being honest. I think it gives us a chances to see more good games.

Thoughts....? I know its all a pipe dream because nothing will change in delaware baseball...but its fun to imagine.

or just move some games that might be scheduled during the week to the weekend. If you want exciting games, make them conference double headers. i think that will also give a true representation of the teams playing. Prevent coaches from pitching only one or two guys against conference teams the whole year. Also, it would be a great idea for seeing the true ability of the other players because they would be able to get a proper pre game in without the interference of classes running late and little warm up time

Best of 3 will probably never happen, which is a shame. But no reason cant get back to 20 games. Just schedule 2 double header during the season on Saturdays, and there you have it. Pay an extra 100 bucks or so for umps, and a couple hours for the bus drivers.

Would love to see expanded playoff brackets as well, too many teams with 11,12 or even 13 wins don't get to taste the playoffs.

I'd be in favor of any system that would create more games, especially games on the weekends. I consider myself to be a baseball junkie and I've only been able to make it to one game this season. Life and those 3:45 games just get in the way for me. More weekend games would be awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT