ADVERTISEMENT

playoffs? division1 and division2

Stuck at work right now, so I don't have the points I did in front of me to post. However, the Division 2 playoffs are already set. Just not as far as seedings go. You have St. George's, lake forest, caravel, laurel, archmere, friends, tower hill, and Hodgson.

As far as Division 1 goes, William penn, Middletown, sussex tech, and st. Marks are guaranteed in, and the last 2 spots are up for grabs between, concord, Newark, cape Henlopen and sallies. It was revealed that one of the schools that sallies played was actually a D1 school after all year of counting them as a D2, so they are currently tied with Newark in points. With Cape 1 point behind. The way I look at it is winner between those three are in. Sallies holds the tie breaker over Newark, if cape and tech both win, all three will tie and sallies holds the tie breaker. If all three lose, sallies still holds the tiebreaker.

If sallies wins, tech moves into the 2nd with a win, Middletown as 3,
St. Marks as 4, concord (if they win) goes 5 and sallies is a 6, meaning two Middletown/sallies games in a span of 7 days.

This is crucial for teams as far as seedings go and could mean tough road or easy road. Don't hold me to what I said though, like I said, my points are at the house while I'm stuck in a warehouse.

Nothing new, but still remains a shame that teams that go out and challenge themselves, like DMA, Mount Pleasant, Howard, will sit home while Friends and Tower Hill play on.

Originally posted by Lazertron:
Nothing new, but still remains a shame that teams that go out and challenge themselves, like DMA, Mount Pleasant, Howard, will sit home while Friends and Tower Hill play on.
Thus the need for some change or tweaking of points/SOS aspect....heck-start small.....anything....something.

Back to back Sals v. Middletown games could be fun. History shows that it can be tough to beat a good team twice in a season. So a season split is possible.

Plus, both games would be at Middletown, tough to beat them at home, near impossible two weeks in a row.................

As my friend Sparty would say you might want to 'pump the brakes' on a Middletown/Sallies 1st round rematch.

I might be wrong, but by my calculations Middletown is locked into the 2nd seed wether they win or lose Friday night.

Even if Penn lost to Delcastle they would finish with 59 points while the best Middletown can finish with is 58.

Middletown can finish with no less then 54 points while the best Sussex Tech (or any other team) can do is 53.

Middletown:

Concord W = 6
Caeser Rodney W = 6
Charter W = 6
Glasgow W = 6
Delcastle W = 6
William Penn L = 1
A.I. DuPont W = 6
Appoquinimink W = 6
Newark W = 6
Salesianum

49 base points + 2 bonus points (Penn - 9 wins) = 51 points
If they beat Sallies: 51 + 6 (DI win) = 57 They are guaranteed to get 1 bonus point from the Concord/Newark winner (one of the teams is going to get their 7th win) for a total of 58 points and a lock for the 2nd seed.

If they lose to Sallies: they woud have 51 + 1 (DI loss) = 52 plus the guaranteed bonus point from the Concord?Newark winner and another bonus point for Sallies getting to 7 wins for a total of 54, and the 2nd seed.

Sussex Tech:

A.I. DuPont W = 6
St. Mark's L = 1
Milford W = 4
Sussex Central W = 6
Dover W = 6
Smyrna W = 6
Caeser Rodney = 6
Cape Henlopen W = 6
Woodbridge W = 4
Poly Tech

45 base points plus 2 bonus points (1 each for Cape and St. Mark's reaching 7 wins) = 47

If they beat Polytech they will get 6 points for a total of 53 points with no remaining possible bonus points.

Cduk, thanks for that explanation, it wasn't until after I got home and actually looked at the possible bonus points awarded that I was wrong. you are correct. Good job on the homework. A+ in my book.

Originally posted by HSftballlaxFan:

Cduk, thanks for that explanation, it wasn't until after I got home and actually looked at the possible bonus points awarded that I was wrong. you are correct. Good job on the homework. A+ in my book.
Thanks HS, I wasn't as much trying to correct what you had posted, as I was trying to calm down the masses. The prospect of back to back Middletown/Sallies games was creating some excitement on the board. I knew when you got home and looked things over you would see it.

I do the points backwards. I start with the maximum a team can get then subtract as they lose or their opponents reach 2 or 4 losses. So those numbers were sitting right in front of me. If you asked me what a team currently had, I would have to look into it.

It comes from playing to many March Madness pools, I never pay attention to how many points I have, but to how many I can finish with in determining if I still have a shot at winning the pool. Then again I could just be dyslexic.

Originally posted by cduk13:

Originally posted by HSftballlaxFan:

Thanks HS, I wasn't as much trying to correct what you had posted, as I was trying to calm down the masses. The prospect of back to back Middletown/Sallies games was creating some excitement on the board. I knew when you got home and looked things over you would see it.

I do the points backwards. I start with the maximum a team can get then subtract as they lose or their opponents reach 2 or 4 losses. So those numbers were sitting right in front of me. If you asked me what a team currently had, I would have to look into it.

It comes from playing to many March Madness pools, I never pay attention to how many points I have, but to how many I can finish with in determining if I still have a shot at winning the pool. Then again I could just be dyslexic.
@ HS and cduk- Thank you both for your time and effort. You 2 always have the most accurate info to provide for us mathematically challenged folk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT