ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should the Playoff and/or the points system be revised?

Jawnsky

All-Conference
Sep 21, 2012
DE
This topic has been a very popular issue since I asked whether or not the playoff system was in need of some type of revision.Since we have an election coming up-Jawnsky says let the people decide!

@Tea...no damn political/financial crap.
@Spartakos- no limit on pictures-especially if they involve nice "revisions"

I voted no until a viable plan is in place. If a workable plan is in place I would be willing to support it providing that the selection process NEVER involves the decision of a committee. I do agree that the process could be improved.

I voted yes. I believe we should use a lottery system and just pick teams at random.

Use an independent rating service such as the Dunkel Index. Take the top 6 teams at season end. They are trying to do this at the FBS level now.

@ sparty- LOL.....need pics man.

@ stripes- what if that committee include officials and did not include coaches of team(s) in contention? Say points determined top 5 in D1 and top 7 in D2 and last seeds were via this blue ribbon panel?

@dove-we may not agree on everything but that is a good start....im on board with that being at least a part of the process

@ ikey- WTH??? ....however-that would be very interesting though.....WP runs the table at 10-0 and ends up watching :(

Jawnsky,
It's great we've got some thoughts and ideas coming forth. As an official, I wouldn't want to serve on a committee that would be part of that process. I can't speak for others. How about additional bonus points based on all opponents wins? This would help address the strength of schedule aspect. Or would that be redundant based on the seven and nine win opponents bonus?

Originally posted by vertical stripes:
Jawnsky,
It's great we've got some thoughts and ideas coming forth. As an official, I wouldn't want to serve on a committee that would be part of that process. I can't speak for others. How about additional bonus points based on all opponents wins? This would help address the strength of schedule aspect. Or would that be redundant based on the seven and nine win opponents bonus?
Vert- it is good discussion and I certainly understand why an official would not choose to be on a "committee"......it would be a tough task for anyone, but any such selection process has to include football people. And you guys see enough football so I would respect any official if they did opt to serve on this "committee".

.....I like and am in favor of some sort of change to the points system and your thought is a good start IMHO

On a funny note- can you imagine if they left it up to posters on this forum to get to select 1 team in......now that would be a trip!

people would be gifting people and what not!

Can we shorten the regular season and expand the postseason thus abandoning the point system and separate Division championship play altogether? In this format teams play 7 regular season games crowning winners in the Henlopen North & South, Blue Hen Flight A & B, Indy, Diamond State, NonConference, and the Catholics. With conference runners up added, we would have a 16 team tournament ending in week 11. The troubling part of this playoff system is obviously teams lose games. Could this be rectified in a way that allows ADs to meet after week 7 to fill-out a ten game schedule for the non-playoff teams? Just a thought...

This post was edited on 11/1 11:26 AM by foshizzle88

We should leave this system alone...it works great...has there ever been the wrong team to win a state title since this system took place ????

This has been a strange year in the Public School conferences and I think this lends itself to a questioning of the points system. Again, there is no way that a committee should be picking which teams make it and which ones don't. Looking at the nuts and bolts of it, you are talking more about who should be the last team in. Let the points handle that argument, something a team has earned throughout the year.
As to adjusting the points system I don't see a way to do it, unless you go to a system like soccer uses.

Would the system be fixed if they used the rankings in addition to the points as part of the formula? Not sure how they would factor it in but would be better than just the existing points. Rankings usually factor in strength of schedule better than points systems perceived strength of schedule.

Point system is fine. Why fix something that isn't broke? ( and for those claiming that it's broke lets hear some factual evidence to support that claim )

Originally posted by wingstopaws0912:
Point system is fine. Why fix something that isn't broke? ( and for those claiming that it's broke lets hear some factual evidence to support that claim )
Fact Tower Hill and Friends will both make the D2 playoffs. They both played extremely weak schedules. The 9 teams Friends has played this year are 13-57 on the season. Not one has a winning record. They played 6 games against teams with 2 or less wins. Friends could be the 3 seed in the tournament! Tower Hill got crushed by 5-4 DMA 34-14. They have played a couple other games against teams with winning records but I don't exactly call Conrad and Perkiomen teams powerhouses. Tower Hill played teams with a 29-47 total record. Only one of the two should make it. Teams like DMA who have played big time games against teams with a 45-36 season record should be in the playoffs if they finish 6-4.

I would love to see a playoff system with the a championship @ D1 between the top 3 public, #1 seed gets bye #2 vs #3 winner plays #1 for semi, Top 3 private same format, winner of public vs private ! Winner State Champ

If DMA had beat the auks.....they would be in the playoffs period !....are we really going to cry about teams that lost 3 /4/5 games...once again you get up to 10 chances to make the playoffs...just win and your in !

Originally posted by sportn2011:
If DMA had beat the auks.....they would be in the playoffs period !....are we really going to cry about teams that lost 3 /4/5 games...once again you get up to 10 chances to make the playoffs...just win and your in !
Yup your right DMA lost to Archmere. No one is crying about DMA not getting in. If Archmere lost they would have been out too. One team makes it out of the Diamond State while 2 come out of the tough Indie. Sound fair? The issue with the points system is teams that play no one and don't belong get in because they basically beat JV teams. How can any team deserve to be in the playoffs not playing 1 game against a team with a winning record yet? After 9 games their competition win loss record is 13-57. Yet they could have a 3 seed? DMA would finish 10-0 if they played Friends or Tower Hills schedule. So would 10 other teams in D2. The system promotes scheduling cup cakes to get in the tournament.

The stickler in the system is the D1 and D2 points thing.. I get the premise but it does promote D2 teams to seek out bad d1 teams for those 6 points.. Kind of the opposite effect the system was trying to have which was to keep D1 teams from stacking up D2 teams.. (in that aspect it works for the D1)

The system IMO was written for D1 and the effect on D2 was an afterthought..

An example will be if Rising Sun ends up D1 points for Freinds even if they lose to Tower Hill they will still be the 3 Seed. Rising Sun is 0-9 and being out scored 260-64 . Might be the worse D1 team in the country .. (if they officially end up D1 enrollment)

Going to 8 teams in D2 was a good move.. Think about if it were still 6.. Tower Hill and Friends could be in and Archmere and HVT could be out? That alone shows you its flawed in someway..

One way to counter it would just for D2 boost the bonus points to say 2 for playing 7 win team and 4 for playing 9 win.. That would off set teams playing cupcake D1's for an easy 6 JMHO

This post was edited on 11/6 9:24 AM by ravensrooster2

RR- that's not a bad thought to help with this process.....especially D2

I want to put this out there and maybe someone can shed some light on this if it is not possible......is there any chance of just using whatever enrollment #'s are for any given school for the year the game is actually played? As opposed to when the contract is set up.....

Ex: Sals set up a 2 game deal with MLK and this year MLK is D2 but in 2015 MLK becomes classified as D1 as enrollment increases........would this work?? Or is it just not equitable?

Old timer those are some very valid points. However I feel as though every team should have to play in some type of conference and not be independent, and maybe ( please dont kill me for this lol ) start football season a few weeks earlier to make a 12 game schedule. I think that would help some of the S.O.S issues with points system still being the same.

I don't think starting the season earlier is an answer. I have a problem with school starting before Labor Day. They should somehow revise the points system. It is almost like you are penalized for playing up.

You can call me old fashioned, but I liked the tournament better when it was just 4 teams.

Semi Finals and Finals.

I am not trying to be a wiseguy with this last point, but rather I am asking, how many times have the 5 or 6 seed won the Division 1 tournament since they expanded?

Also, in Division 2 how many times have the 5-8 seed won?

I understand that tournament berths are great for programs and their development, but I really think 4 was a great number.

Originally posted by Ozzie19:
You can call me old fashioned, but I liked the tournament better when it was just 4 teams.

Semi Finals and Finals.

I am not trying to be a wiseguy with this last point, but rather I am asking, how many times have the 5 or 6 seed won the Division 1 tournament since they expanded?

Also, in Division 2 how many times have the 5-8 seed won?

I understand that tournament berths are great for programs and their development, but I really think 4 was a great number.

This year an 8 seed could win D2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT