ADVERTISEMENT

Public School Lax

May 18, 2010
If you think that mount, dover, concord, or polytech is even decent...then you dont know delax

So what is your point? Should every team that is not "decent" just pack up and go home? Should only teams that have a realistic chance to win a championship even bother playing? If that is the case, let's just declare Sallies the winner and skip the season entirely -

What does "decent" even mean? Should we be offended when a team reaches a certain # of bad passes, bad shots, bad slides. etc?

Is this post in response to a few kids excited about their team early in the season? I would rather see some over-optimism by guys actually out on the field, rather than the alternative - giving up, or not even playing at all.

Yes, there is a huge competitive gap between the top 10 teams in DE and the remaining 30+ teams - and there is probably a sizeable gap this year between Sallies and the rest of the Top Ten - so what?

Good luck to all players for the remainder of the year, and congratulations to non- traditional powers like Dover and DMA that are having strong seasons, and newer teams like Delmar (4th year) and Appo (3rd year) that are off to great starts.

Well why would declare Sallies the winner? I mean yeah youre right they totally won last years State Championship and every title before that. I think by "decent" laxbro is asserting that decent means a team could play with some of the contenders.

You state that Dover is having a strong season. While I will concede that they may be having a strong season for THEIR STANDARDS, if you compare them to the contenders, they are inferior. A 6-5 OT Win against Polytech, whereas when Polytech played an actual "contender" in Cape, they were annihilated 19-3. I think before you state that Dover is having a strong season, you should note that they are having a strong season for Flight A, not in the whole state. Because if Dover played top competition, they would lose by atleast 10 goals. Nonetheless, it would be nice if the gap between the top 10 teams and the remaining 30 was shortened, but until this happen I think these other 30 teams should spend more time hitting the wall, the weight room, and working on stick skills then coming on DEpreps to chat about there victories over A.I. Dupont. Also, I think that the gap isnt really between the top 10 teams in Delaware, but the top 6 or 7 ( Sallies, Archmere, Tower, Friends, Tatnall, Cape)

Dover plays Cape and CR next, so we will see how good they are this week and the next. The teams that are the top teams in DE have youth programs that feed players into the high schools. Down south you have Camden youth lax feeding mostly CR, but I'm sure Dover and Polytech as well. There is also Atlantic youth lax feeding into Cape. Delmar is a newer program, but it is now starting to see some players come from the Salisbury Lacrosse Club, which is close to Delmar. Many of the 8th, 9th, and a couple of 10th graders on Delmar's team have played youth lax, while the upper classes didn't pick up a stick until the last couple of years. Meanwhile,schools like Milford and Sussex Central don't have youth programs nearby and as a result, they will struggle each year. So, until youth lax spreads in DE, you still have a separation between the yearly contenders and the doormats of lacrosse. Not saying they will compete for a state championship anytime soon, but I think Delmar is an up and coming lax program.
This post was edited on 4/10 10:56 PM by DelmarMD

Why not put a stop to all of this. The DIAA needs to disallow any choicing into every school, public or private. If a school, public or private, plays a student athelete from outside their assigned geographical area they forfiet. How well would Sals play if they only rostered city boys? Or only north Wilmington boys on Archmere? Some of you armchair X-men crack me up.

So, I guess you've considered the ramifications of this brilliant statement prior to writing it here delfan1. What you've effectively asked for is not only over turning multiple Supreme Court rulings on segregation(Brown vs. The Board of Education, otherwise known as the seperate but, equal ruling.)busing, free trade, but, also the end of the American way..open competition. How can you ask a private school to pull from a limited geographic area when they are built to appeal to a specific set of students ? How would you apply your martial law to Vo-Techs, you can only be a carpenter if you live in a certain neighborhood ? This could be a bit of a dramatic statement, but, it seems the scope of your proposal is a bit drastic even for as serious a global issue as Delaware High School Lacrosse.

Are you suggesting Sals, Archmere, et al, couldn't compete if they were required to follow the same rules as applied to public schools?

They would compete...just like everyone else. This will never happen anyway...but the question would be how many kids play outside of their district??? I dont have that answer...would it even things out though so you wouldn't have the top 4-6 schools being so far ahead of everyone...perhaps a bit...I think it would level out a little bit more...again..its pointless argument.

Back to the main topic. Really don't understand all the put down for public school Lax. It is what it is...and to say you don't know Dellax...maybe you don't...the schools you listed are solid I'll call it Tier 2 teams...they won't beat the sals and the towers and the cape's...but they play lacrosse to the best they can. I've gotta say I tire of hearing how they suck just because they are not as good at the top schools...I'd rather they play then fold.

If you're so smart tell us all how to get better so its not the same schools at the top then!!!

They play fall and winter without their coaching staff so it is not against DIAA rules. Teams travel to tournaments during the off-season without their staffs, so it is not agsint the rules. Teams lift together during the off-season so that as well is not against the rules.

i'm just saying to get better and win it takes more practice and commitment. join a club team or have captains practice, but i guarantee that the top lacrosse programs dont leave their sticks in the shed during the winter.

Yeah well it just goes to show you get what you pay for. What these schools lack in tuition they certainly do not make up for in talent. It would be an atrocity to see great players such as Ryan Kilpatrick play under coaches that have had recently horrendous teams and seasons such as Mount Pleasant.

Definetly the three best public school teams would be Brandywine, Cape and CR other teams like concord, appo, newark and william penn and so on are just spare teams that do okay to say in thier confrance but if they make it to the tournement they usualy gets killed in the first round.

Cape hasn't lost to a DE public school since 2006. Sounds like its Cape and everyone else. 4 State Titles since 2000, can anyone else say that public or private?

And "decent" is the first word I would use to descibe those teams at the top. "Decent" teams are usually the last three teams that make the playoffs. 3 out of the 4 teams named at the top made the playoffs last year, and there are people posting Bwine is a top 3 public school, really?

I don't want to restart the whole "not even decent" argument, but congrats to Appo on their victory yesterday over cross town rival Middletown - they have a good shot of making the playoffs in just their 3rd year as a varsity program.

Yeah they do have a great chance of making the playoffs!!! And when they meet Sallies Cape Tower Archmere friends or CR they're gonna have a good chance to win too!!! Or maybe they'll get DMA..... that would be rough...

There must be some decent youth programs in the Middletown area since Appo and Middletown are now splitting a talent pool that used to feed Middletown exclusively

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT