Longagoplayer

In the weight room getting big
Jun 16, 2021
Hodgson 24 Newark 16 final
Glasgow 42 Dickinson 0 4Q
Cape 14 St. George 13 HT

Friends 22 MP 20

Can't believe this game ended as close as it did
The ref's absolutely stole the game from Mout Pleasant. Mount up 20-19 after driving the length of the field and converting a two point conversion. Friends 4th and 10 from the 50. Receiver cuts and falls, Mount player falls over him, ball sails over both and Mount intercepts and returns it 40 yards. Ref sees the fall, the after the Mount player is going up the field throws the flag. Can't wait for the video to be posted.

Friends gets another flag later in the drive (legit). They kick a field goal with 7 left.

Even the clock official went dead silent the last 3 minutes.

What a joke

Reactions: trapblock22
The Refs did similar things in the Delmar/Friends game. They ended up calling 25 penalties on Delmar and 2 on Friends (and the second one not until late in the 4th quarter). I'm not saying Delmar would have won that game (it's not impossible though), but the game would have been a lot closer if the Refs had called the game fairly. It's hard to get any momentum when you are getting a penalty called an average of every 5th play.

Delmar hasn't had 10 penalties in any other game this season. Probably less than 10, but I haven't been counting like I did in the Friends game.

The Ref crew for the Friends games need to be be changed.

Last edited:
I know it is hard to be a ref and I commend the guys doing it, but that being said I have seen a lot of phantom calls this year. But if one of these calls actually cost a team a game, it is a big shame.

Another thing about the Delmar/Friends game. Since Friends only has one set of stands, I was sitting in the Friends stands during the game. It was unbelievably weird seeing the Refs call penalty after penalty on Delmar without calling any on Friends and then the Friends fans loudly and repeatedly complain that the Refs weren't calling MORE penalties on Delmar. It was like they had no self awareness that the Refs were favoring their team at all.

The ref's absolutely stole the game from Mout Pleasant. Mount up 20-19 after driving the length of the field and converting a two point conversion. Friends 4th and 10 from the 50. Receiver cuts and falls, Mount player falls over him, ball sails over both and Mount intercepts and returns it 40 yards. Ref sees the fall, the after the Mount player is going up the field throws the flag. Can't wait for the video to be posted.

Friends gets another flag later in the drive (legit). They kick a field goal with 7 left.

Even the clock official went dead silent the last 3 minutes.

What a joke
The pass inference calls have been inconsistent this year. I don’t even know what high school refs in DE are looking for when making that call.

Another thing about the Delmar/Friends game. Since Friends only has one set of stands, I was sitting in the Friends stands during the game. It was unbelievably weird seeing the Refs call penalty after penalty on Delmar without calling any on Friends and then the Friends fans loudly and repeatedly complain that the Refs weren't calling MORE penalties on Delmar. It was like they had no self awareness that the Refs were favoring their team at all.
Ive noticed that in other Friends games as well.

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
The pass inference calls have been inconsistent this year. I don’t even know what high school refs in DE are looking for when making that call.
I saw one on Friday. DMA receiver runs down the sideline turns spots the ball, jumps and makes the catch. Concord defender never turns his head and keeps running. Ruling on the field offensive pass interference. No idea how that type of call can ever happen.

I'm glad I will never have to go to another game at Friends and I feel sorry for the players that have to play against Friends.
There is the old saying, only thing worse that college refs, are highschool refs.
I appreciate that they do it. They also get paid. May not be a lot, but it ain’t free!

this year in particular, there have been one or 2 that have stood out to be flat out awful. Not bad, not bad both ways. Just awful one way. As well it has been a constant theme. I will not name names. However, film has to shared with DIAA or whomever makes these decisions.

again all you hear is their doing their best.
well if it’s awful, then give me someone’s worst. It has been hard to watch in some cases.

this will come across as bashing the entire group of officials. No way. There have been crews that stopped the trash talk and unsportsmanlike garbage right off the bat. So, there are very good crews in the state for sure. Let’s hope people are watching and they do the state games.
Also- I don’t want to hear so and so has been doing this for x years.
well sometimes the game moves on.
Just sharing my observations.

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
The problem is there is a shortage of referees. What you have is what you’re going to get and it’s only going to get worse. It’s a thankless job. Hell it might be worse than coaching. I see lots of older guys out there and a few young guys learning on the job. Once the old guys move on you will have a serious referee shortage.

Reactions: Longagoplayer
I will say that a majority of the refs do a fine job and I know it's not easy, but I'm sure there are some that are not cut out for it or just are not good at it. It would probably be a good thing to get some new blood into being a referee. But I'm sure in today's world I'm sure it is difficult to draw new people in whether it be time or money or just plan old not wanting to get yelled at by old curmudgeons.

Reactions: fanoffootball123
I got out of coaching because of a-hole parents and other bs. Don’t miss it at all. I couldn’t imagine being a referee. Those guys deal with so much crap from the outside and for what a couple of bucks. Yeah I’ll pass and by the looks of it most people agree.

I will say that a majority of the refs do a fine job and I know it's not easy, but I'm sure there are some that are not cut out for it or just are not good at it. It would probably be a good thing to get some new blood into being a referee. But I'm sure in today's world I'm sure it is difficult to draw new people in whether it be time or money or just plan old not wanting to get yelled at by old curmudgeons.
The only bad refereeing I have seen this year is at the Friends game. All the other games have had their bad calls, but it wasn't blatant that the Refs were favoring one team or another.

Before the Friends game, a couple of the Refs were greeting the friends players by name, talking to them like they knew them personally, and telling them to have a good game. It was obvious that those refs had more than a passing interest in the game.

I imagine these refs do it because of love of the game, but I think I read in the article that the news journal put out about the shortage said that refs for varsity games get paid $77 bucks. Which ain't bad for two hours but with travel time and giving up Friday and Saturdays is definitely not worth that pay.

The only bad refereeing I have seen this year is at the Friends game. All the other games have had their bad calls, but it wasn't blatant that the Refs were favoring one team or another.

Before the Friends game, a couple of the Refs were greeting the friends players by name, talking to them like they knew them personally, and telling them to have a good game. It was obvious that those refs had more than a passing interest in the game.
I know that a couple of refs have approached my son before a game and asked how he was but that is only because my son has played in youth football for 4 years and he was always the biggest kid on the field and they remembered him, but that was the extent of it. I can say my kid has not had a favorable call or an unfavorable call against him.

I know that a couple of refs have approached my son before a game and asked how he was but that is only because my son has played in youth football for 4 years and he was always the biggest kid on the field and they remembered him, but that was the extent of it. I can say my kid has not had a favorable call or an unfavorable call against him.
As long as they call the game fairly it doesn't matter. I have seen Refs greeting coaches before games like old friends (and they very well might be), but they didn't let their personal relationships interfere with their objectivity. In the 40+ games of High School football I have been to in Delaware, and the many more I have been to in my lifetime, I have never seen a more poorly refereed game than the Friends/Delmar game this year.

There have been games where one bad call has changed the course of the game (Delmar/Howard 2019), but it wasn't a game long bias towards one team like it was in the Friends/Delmar game. Bad calls are going to happen as long as humans are the referees.

2 of their 3 losses came to top 4 team from Class 2A. Not a bad season for them so far after not playing last year.
And that other loss was to undefeated 9-0 St. Elizabeth’s team, so not a bad season at all for a Tatnall team of mostly freshmen & sophomores.

Reactions: Woody_Wood
As long as they call the game fairly it doesn't matter. I have seen Refs greeting coaches before games like old friends (and they very well might be), but they didn't let their personal relationships interfere with their objectivity. In the 40+ games of High School football I have been to in Delaware, and the many more I have been to in my lifetime, I have never seen a more poorly refereed game than the Friends/Delmar game this year.

There have been games where one bad call has changed the course of the game (Delmar/Howard 2019), but it wasn't a game long bias towards one team like it was in the Friends/Delmar game. Bad calls are going to happen as long as humans are the referees.
Not to be a conspiracy theorist but I wonder if any of those refs were there yesterday because it did sound like there was some home cooking at the Friends game yesterday.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist but I wonder if any of those refs were there yesterday because it did sound like there was some home cooking at the Friends game yesterday.
Friends and Mt Pleasant High Schools are less than three miles apart, so it's likely it was the same crew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT