ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-Finals at Abessinio??

lax3135

Towel boy
Mar 10, 2006
All semi-final games are being played at Abessinio Stadium?? Can someone explain this insane logic to me?? Sanford has to play Sals in their home stadium, and Cape has to ride 1.5 hrs to play Archmere who has to travel maybe 10 minutes? How does this make sense?

Reactions: 84rider
All semi-final games are being played at Abessinio Stadium?? Can someone explain this insane logic to me?? Sanford has to play Sals in their home stadium, and Cape has to ride 1.5 hrs to play Archmere who has to travel maybe 10 minutes? How does this make sense?
Semis are played at higher seeds home field. DIAA must have thought Archmere's field wouldn't work bc of the small bleachers.

They just played WF there yesterday. Nothing changed as it's still a playoff game. It's nonsense from people who think they don't have to answer to anyone.

I always thought semis and finals were played at neutral sights (except for last year). Weren’t the semis held at Caravel and finals at CR in 2019? I guess they changed that rule?

It’s all about the $

also Archmere is home so Cape was coming up no matter what but Archmere lacrosse field is small so more $ at Abssino.

sallies is the higher seed so Sanford should travel to them.

DIAA has gotten away from neutral sites since the current administrator took over. In all sports.

As for the Archmere game, the girls' soccer team is also home on Wednesday afternoon in a semifinal. There is not enough seating at the lower field where boys lacrosse played Friends to accommodate the expected crowd for Cape. If they played soccer followed by lacrosse, you'd have to allow for clearing the bleachers, moving the soccer goals, etc. If soccer went overtime, lacrosse would be bumping up against sunset.

Playing lacrosse at Abessinio makes total sense, as did having the Archmere-DMA football playoff game there. Why prevent people from seeing the game when that doesn't have to be the case?

DIAA is supposed to support itself, and postseason ticket sales are the primary revenue producer.

Thank you! Finally someone gave an answer that makes some kind of sense. I don’t agree with semi-finals being played at higher seed (as it has ALWAYS been held at a neutral site), but I can see at least some logic in what you said.

DIAA has gotten away from neutral sites since the current administrator took over. In all sports.

As for the Archmere game, the girls' soccer team is also home on Wednesday afternoon in a semifinal. There is not enough seating at the lower field where boys lacrosse played Friends to accommodate the expected crowd for Cape. If they played soccer followed by lacrosse, you'd have to allow for clearing the bleachers, moving the soccer goals, etc. If soccer went overtime, lacrosse would be bumping up against sunset.

Playing lacrosse at Abessinio makes total sense, as did having the Archmere-DMA football playoff game there. Why prevent people from seeing the game when that doesn't have to be the case?

DIAA is supposed to support itself, and postseason ticket sales are the primary revenue producer.
And in all fairness Abessinno stadium is pretty awesome. My kids have played there, CR, Dover, Cape, Archmere, Appo, Caravel, etc. and Abessinno is the best by far. Top notch facility.

Thank you! Finally someone gave an answer that makes some kind of sense. I don’t agree with semi-finals being played at higher seed (as it has ALWAYS been held at a neutral site), but I can see at least some logic in what you said.
Trust me. We're on the same page. I think everything from the quarterfinals on in just about every sport should be on a neutral field/court. But, like I said, the executive director has made it quite clear that she's not a big fan of neutral fields until the finals.

And in all fairness Abessinno stadium is pretty awesome. My kids have played there, CR, Dover, Cape, Archmere, Appo, Caravel, etc. and Abessinno is the best by far. Top notch facility.
Completely agree. The renovation is amazing and it is a great venue for any sport. I wasn’t aware that DIAA was moving away from neutral semi-final sites. With that in mind, having it at Abessinio is a good idea. Who you guys got moving on to the finals?

Completely agree. The renovation is amazing and it is a great venue for any sport. I wasn’t aware that DIAA was moving away from neutral semi-final sites. With that in mind, having it at Abessinio is a good idea. Who you guys got moving on to the finals?
Who you guys got moving on to the finals?
There are two teams in Delaware and everybody else.

Anyone know how the tickets are working this evening. Does a ticket to Archmere vs. Sanford allow me to also watch the second game, or are they clearing the stadium?

Anyone know how the tickets are working this evening. Does a ticket to Archmere vs. Sanford allow me to also watch the second game, or are they clearing the stadium?
Gotta imagine you pay 1 and get both games

Just bouncing off of this thread, I think it’s honestly disrespectful to some of these teams that it’s come to this. Obviously there’s a top heavy presence in North Delaware for lacrosse, but the girls just played at DSU!

DIAA needs to step their game up when it comes to this. If anything, these games should be played at the UD stadium. Other states use their big venues for championships (ie. Naval Academy), and even baseball sticks to the Frawley stadium.

Championships should be treated like the spectacles that they are. Playing it on a renowned field holds more weight, making it that much more exciting.

No excuse for this.

ADVERTISEMENT