ADVERTISEMENT

Smyrna vs #8

BackinBlack86

Top 100 Prospect
Oct 5, 2018
Smyrna will now be taking on the #8 team in the country. Any chance?

8. Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.)
Record:
1-0 | Last week: 10
Last week: Beat Archbishop Hoban (Akron, Ohio) 42-7
Next week: Sept. 4 vs. Smyrna (Del.)

Not only was it a Longshot before but the team that BC just beat by 35 is the #2 ranked team in Ohio. There is always a chance but slim to none really comes to mind. If anything a good showing can have a tremendous positive effect moving further into the season for the Eagles.

Not only was it a Longshot before but the team that BC just beat by 35 is the #2 ranked team in Ohio. There is always a chance but slim to none really comes to mind. If anything a good showing can have a tremendous positive effect moving further into the season for the Eagles.
Speaking of nationally ranked teams, watching St Thomas Aquinas vs St Francis this weekend was like watching a college game. Those folks are on another planet talent wise.

Speaking of nationally ranked teams, watching St Thomas Aquinas vs St Francis this weekend was like watching a college game. Those folks are on another planet talent wise.
You should have seen Mater Dei absolutely dismantle Duncanville (TX), Mater Dei is loaded with all the D1 studs but are very well coached on top of that. Recipe for disaster

My son played with some of the new freshman at St. Francis this past spring and every one of them is built like large juniors and seniors already. Just crazy to see 14 and 15 year olds look like that.

And MT has the #17 team (St Joe Prep) around week 5
After seeing St. Joe's this weekend MT will have their hands full. Big interior lineman, fast as anything ends and solid tacklers, and they have a stifling defense. They do seem a little prone to big plays. DMA was able to rattle off a couple big runs and a couple nice pass plays, but overall that defense is legit. I know DMA wouldn't be any real competition for them but I heard they scrimmaged Dematha and SJP won like 35-0 in that game.

After seeing St. Joe's this weekend MT will have their hands full. Big interior lineman, fast as anything ends and solid tacklers, and they have a stifling defense. They do seem a little prone to big plays. DMA was able to rattle off a couple big runs and a couple nice pass plays, but overall that defense is legit. I know DMA wouldn't be any real competition for them but I heard they scrimmaged Dematha and SJP won like 35-0 in that game.
DeMatha didn't look all that good vs Holy Spirit (NJ) in the Battle at the Beach game. They won 28-7 but HS was in the game most of it. DM should have blown them out easily so.. They (DM) also had a QB transfer from down South (to replace Edge) who holds an offer or two but he was inured and had to be carted off. The back up was a Freshman who needs work on his passing..

However Jaden Bacon (former Woodbridge) did rush for a TD for DM. I wouldn't look for DM to be dominant this year in the WCAC though.

Reactions: Longagoplayer
My son played with some of the new freshman at St. Francis this past spring and every one of them is built like large juniors and seniors already. Just crazy to see 14 and 15 year olds look like that.

Biff Poggi is gone from St Frances so they will begin to look different going forward beyond this year . Look for them to be comprised of more local talent (no dorm/apts for housing anymore) as they try and get back into MIAA play. They have some work to do there as they burned some bridges particularly with the current/former (pre Biff) HC Messay Hailemariam's rhetoric about MIAA being racist and what have you when they were booted from MIAA play for not following rules. They won't have the money for the National play so they will need MIAA to let them back in.

Reactions: Longagoplayer
If Calpreps is any accurate…..their “Project a matchup” link has Middletown losing to St. Joes 49-6….and has Smyrna losing to Bergan Catholic 63-3.

I have every intention on going to the game Saturday unless I can find a stream and save the gas. The Middletown/SJP game got moved to a 5:00pm start though. Ehh!

Thank you for the info BiB...I will admit it has been almost a decade since I was around high school football and have lost touch with a lot of it. It will be nice to be able to dive back in and relearn about the local teams and the ones from the surrounding states. It appears to be i found the guy to come to with the skinny on pretty much any team out there lol.

Good news….I found a streaming site for the Bergen Catholic/Smyrna game Saturday.

locallive.tv
You have to register, and then just search the state. For this one New Jersey and it gives you BC

Did anyone have the misfortune to see IMG Academy dismantle a supposedly tough team from Ohio. They put on a running clock early in the second quarter. The announcers were stunned that the Ohio team even scheduled the game given the Huge disparity in talent.

Bergen DBs are maybe the best combo in the country. QB Edge will not be worried. Played against them many times/camps/ 7v7 etc. difference will be upfront. They are huge. Not big. Huge.
they will need to execute lots of 3rd downs. I think the game will be real tight. With QB play like Smyrna has, they will be in game all game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT