ADVERTISEMENT

18 game season is a joke

Jan 14, 2014
I realize kids play most of their ball in the summer, but 18 games in a high school season? I mean come on, what good does 18 games do you. I think all schools should play at least 25 games. 18 is not enough, that's like 55 at bats at most. You could be a really good hitter and start the year off 2 for 20 and not have time to recover from that bad start. This is also why you see some kids hitting .500

This post was edited on 3/31 11:34 AM by larrybirdcity

Because they are high school students. They are playing 2 to 3 games over an 8 week schedule, with less than ideal weather for the first 3 weeks at least. How many games were postponed last week? And how many games were played with temperatures in the 30s or in the snow? If you count scrimmages and playoffs, these kids are playing 20+ games in a high school season. Seems to be about the right number of games.
Funny that there is a current post on this site complaining that pitchers are throwing too many innings already. Playing more games each week would add innings to these pitchers workloads. You can't have it both ways.

Use/develop more pitchers and play more players. Come on! I went to a small school in New England and we played 20-25 games a year plus the state tournament. Had 4 starters and several other 1 inning pitchers. Everyone played on the varsity roster. I have watched several teams in Delaware play the same 9-10-11 kids every single game. So dumb. Someone gets hurt then you don't have anyone with experience to play. If they are good enough to make the team let them play.

Ask Kentucky basketball. They had to use a kid named Marcus Lee yesterday. Someone they never used much during the regular season at all. They had to play him. Had no choice. Anyone see his line today? 15 minutes 10 points 8 rebounds (7 on offense) 2 blocks 0 fouls 0 turnovers. My point is how are you ever going to know who can play if they never play.

548 - I understand your point. But I don't agree with you that playing a few more games SHOULD increase pitchers workloads. It should force the coaches to use more pitchers because there already are innings limits per week.

I don't see a problem with kids playing 3 games a week. The kids would love it. They are on the field 6 days a week anyway (2 playing 4 practicing), why not do 3 playing 3 practicing.

As far as the weather, lets remember that this was the coldest winter probably ever. And as far as rain, yes we are going to have rainy times. I think we just need to work around it of course.

So my proposal or compromise would be the following:

23 game season. 9 week season. Start 1 week earlier and play 3 times a week basically every other week. So 4 of the 9 weeks, teams would schedule a third game on Saturday. So Tues, Thurs & Sat for example. The other weeks in which you only play 2 games, would leave an open day to reschedule postponed games.

OPENING DAY - Sat Mar 15 (everybody plays). So of you might say OMG, its too cold. Remember most years its not that cold for all of March. This was the coldest March ever, BUT Sat 3/8, Sat 3/15 & Sat 3/22 were all 57 degrees and warmer in the coldest March ever. Most years it will be just fine. Also along with this proposal i would move the March 1 spring start day back to February 1st. So teams could do tryouts earlier and start practicing earlier. So you would have opening weekend, then for the next 9 weeks your schedule has : 4 weeks of 3 games that week and 5 weeks of 2 games that week. I think its that simple.

To address the cold, we set a temperature limit??? Maybe no game can be played when the temperature is expected to be below 40 degrees during the game??

Worst case scenerio, if weather is extremely bad in a season, teams play as many games as humanly possible than if games just can't be made up, playoff points are totaled up and divided by the number of games actually played.

This post was edited on 3/31 3:45 PM by oldskool42

weekends and spring break---play a lot!!!--TEAMS COULD PLAY A DH EVERY SATURDAY-pitching rule is innings more game=more innings=more pitchers

the state diaa shoots down every proposal-teams could play 30 games with less time out of class[agai
n weekends and spring break]

example

henlopen north

play only hen north teams for conf games-play only dh every saturday-6 dhs =12 games

season is 8 weeks play 2 non conf game during week[wow sounds like college baseball]

16 non conf +12 conf =28

still have spring break for games

EASY!!

Woodgreen....30 games is hardcore. I like it though. I agree with your idea regarding double headers on saturdays.

More games means more umpire fees, buses ect..which is why i think they dropped it from 20 to 18 a couple years ago.

But I agree that 18 games is a joke. Little League teams with 12 man rosters and pitch counts play 20 over 9 weeks, certainly a high school team could handle more than that.

Double headers on Saturday would be great, would force coaches to develop more pitchers and utilize their rosters.

A lot of these kids have been playing double headers on Saturday followed by win or go home games on Sunday since they were 12 during the summer. Maybe wait until mid april to start them, due to weather.

I agree Furious. The kids are certainly used to playing a lot of games with travel. 5-8 games over two days on a weekend sometimes.

I'm sure that costs are associated with more games. But yet another reason for weekend double headers. One bus ride, two games. Better yet, most of the kids on varsity drive, would it be so wrong to have the kids drive themselves to the saturday games. Especially if it was local. I guess there could be some liability issues maybe? But i don't see what the difference is if a kid drives himself to a home game at his school on a saturday or to an away game.

But i really like the idea of coaches using more of their rosters. Pitchers especially, but also getting more kids innings and at bats. The reality is that 2 games a week could be 14 innings or possibly less. So how many at bats does that translate to per week, maybe 6-7. Thats assuming the coach doesn't slide a backup in to get an at bat at the end of a game. You make it 3 games and/or double headers, the coaches would get more guys in the game.

Originally posted by FuriousFour:

More games means more umpire fees, buses ect..which is why i think they dropped it from 20 to 18 a couple years ago.
That's what I seem to recall was the reason.

I like the idea of adding doubleheaders on weekends. That could add some games, get some more playing time for non-regulars while not adding cost significantly. How do we make this happen?

Get DIAA to change the rules, then you can make a longer season with more games. Until that, not going to happen

Fees...what other fees are associated with a DH on Saturday? Cost wise you are paying the bus company the same rate whether they are there waiting for 2 hours or 4 hours. They wont use any more or less gas. Umpire fees thats easy...one team pays the bill for the first and the other for the 2nd game.

So the bus company isn't going to charge you more for the extra two hours they have to pay the driver? You obviously have never chartered a bus. Good luck with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT