ADVERTISEMENT

2014 Kick-Off!

WoodenStick

Getting reps on JV
May 10, 2012
All right! After a long, cold, winter that will never end, the 2014 Lax season begins today! Not sure if the players will ever see grass but, this season shapes up to be another good one with solid teams and talent ready to go. Who, besides Salesianum, will have an impact?

It was nice to have to drop the boy off at practice early yesterday AM. Yes, it's been a long wait.

I heard Caravel had a "midnight madness" practice at 12:01 Sat morning. If that's true, that's awesome!

Glad to see Wooden Stick condition has improved enough to post . I am sure you will be less confused in the future . Bless you.

Interested to see some of the private schools play each other like T. Hill, Friends, Archmere, and St Marks. Can any of these teams stay within 10 of Sallies this year?

In the 21 years of the DE state tournament only 6 school have won the boys lacrosse title. Sallies (6) Tatnal (5) Cape (5) CR (3) Tower Hill (1) St. Andrews (1)

Can a public school beat Cape and CR in the same year? Last done 2006 Brandywine?

Can Sallies finish top 20 in nation again?

Glad to be back and out of the mothballs, MGPIE. Let's get rid of the snow quickly so the fun can begin. Hope that this year is a good one for de lax.

FF - hadn't heard that about Caravel. If so, not surprising. They have a talented young coach stepping in to take charge. Should see some good things from them. And, Archmere is lucky to get Pete Duncan. Super guy and outstanding coach!

The Sals have a very demanding schedule this year with only 5 games against in state teams including a "home and away" with Saint Marks. Attack, long pole, faceoff and goalie appear to be strong. But the Sals lost 3 unbelievably strong middies and I understand Reeder has decided to sit out his senior year. (Hopefully more than a rumor if you are on the Sals schedule). Anyway not sure what the Sals will do for middies but I am sure there were capable replacements waiting in the wings. Any intel in that regard?

There is no requirement for playing in-state teams as part of the tournament selection process. All 16 games could be played against out of state opponents.

I am a little disappointed there is no MIAA teams on the Sals schedule..
ohwell.r191677.gif

I am not knocking their schedule in anyway just an MIAA game or two would be of particular interest to me.. Especially if Sals could win one.. I could give a little back to my buddies back home who poo poo DE Lax
wink.r191677.gif

One of the toughest schedules in the country...who specifically did you want t to see them play?

Hasn't been for lack of effort, RR. As you know from other sports, much of the schedule is driven by conference requirements. Typically, the teams have just a few non-conference opponents. Trying to get one is a challenge - particularly after a year like 2013. Word is that the GTown Prep Coach wasn't pleased about the Sals aggressive play and has no desire to play again.

Sals scrimmaged Avon Grove yesterday afternoon in a five quarter scrimmage. Great chance to see the new offense without the Reeder brothers. Really tough not to have them playing but, the team will be ok. You'll see a much more balanced offense this year with solid ball movement throughout the offensive zone - last year was middie focused, this year will be more balanced. Good speed, good off-ball movement and, I think, with more practice we'll see some good play. The defense is very strong, very good d to o transition with fast LSM's with good stick skills. In goal, they're very solid. My guess is that early on, we'll see lower scoring games. Priority now is to get outside and on the field to pull all of this together.

Pre season polls and hype are nothing more than fuel for Boards like this. But, having said that, PhillyLax has the Sals #3 in the region behind Haverford and Malvern. Avon Grove came in at four.

Sals starters looked solid v Avon Grove. Scrimmage score was 8-4 Salesianum. It was a scramble to get there after the excitement at the Bob!

The Reeder brothers aren't playing? I had heard the rumor about Troy but the younger brother isn't playing? If that's true, that's good for the rest of the state because that kid was an incredible faceoff middie.

Wooden Stick did not see Sallies play Avon Grove was on vacation in Hempstead New York. Talked to Fritz and Chuckles
The Cheap who were impressed by both teams.

Why is the younger Reeder not playing? To me he is the bigger lose then Troy. Last year he crushed most of his face off opponents and as a freshman he was only going to get better. So any news on why he is not going to play?

He wants to focus on football.
Agree that losing both Troy and Colby is tough. Both are very talented, solid players and good leaders. Great kids, too.
This post was edited on 3/11 8:56 PM by WoodenStick

I have to agree with laxdeusa, the younger Reeder basically turned the game into a make-it-take-it for Sallies. Troy was obviously a dominant offensive player but in my opinion a really good faceoff man is more important. Of course, knowing Sallies they probably have someone almost as good ready to take over!

"Of course, knowing Sallies they probably have someone almost as good ready to take over! "

For what its worth, the Sals Freshman team last season finished 9-0. Glad to see Colby Reeder prep for football. He played very good, aggressive defense last year at 180. Would be nice to see him report in August at a solid 200.

So to get back to the issue of the younger Reeder giving up Lacrosse to focus on football:

Please help me understand how giving up lacrosse is going to improve the younger Reeders chances of playing for the college football team of his choice? Does he have the size, speed, quickness and skills to play at the next level or doesn't he? In my day if you were a good athlete you played three sports during the school year and if you were good enough the college scouts would find you and you played at the next level. We didnt have to "specialize" to get noticed. We were either good enough or we weren't. My guess is that if the Reeder kid has the goods, then he will get noticed and play at the next level. I fail to see how droppng lacrosse will improve his chances of playing football at the next level. Am I wrong here? And if I am what am I missing?

Sals scheduled v Malvern Wednesday @ 5:30 - Baynard Stadium. Let's hope the weather cooperates. First game for Salesianum, 5th for Malvern.

The Sals had a game scheduled for Saturday night at Washinigton College. What happened?

I will be surprised if the Sals beat Malvern. The lose of Colby on face offs is huge. Malvern always seems to have a great kid dong face offs and last year the only guy to beat Colby was the kid from Malvern.

Who will face off for the Sals now that Colby Reeder has been forced into early retirement from the sport?

Two kids - Terry TJ Logue and Liam McGiveney. Both solid and both have done very well through the winter and spring. Colby and Troy will be missed but others are in line to have an impact.

Malvern beat the Sals 6 to 5. I was not at the game but I have heard that on face offs the kid from Sallies played very well and held an edge on clean face offs. Also hear the Sals were great in goal and on D. Sals middies had trouble in transition and while Malvern was very crisp passing the ball the Sals had way too many turnovers. Can anyone confirm?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT