9​

11/12/21​
Fri​
7:00pm​
Cape Henlopen HS
A​
Cape Henlopen HS - Legends Stadium

https://www.salliessports.com/ViewSchedule?SchoolID=74&SportID=3&LevelID=1

Looks like Big S at 7 with Appo to be slotted in...apparently won’t be playing Cape or Central during reg season.

Yeah loos like Sals will have to find at least 2 OOS games

#​
Date​
Day​
TimeOpponentH/ALocationCommentsW/LScore
1​

9/24/21​
Fri​
St. Georges Tech HS
H​
Salesianum HS
2​

10/1/21​
Fri​
Hodgson Vo-Tech
H​
Salesianum HS
3​

10/8/21​
Fri​
Caesar Rodney HS
A​
Caesar Rodney HS - Rider Stadium
4​

10/15/21​
Fri​
Middletown HS
H​
Salesianum HS
5​

10/23/21​
Sat​
1:00pm​
William Penn HS
A​
Wm Penn HS
6​

10/29/21​
Fri​
Smyrna HS
H​
Salesianum HS
7​

11/5/21​
Fri​
Dover HS
A​
Dover HS

Last edited:
If I understood correctly 3A can play 2A if they so choose, but they cannot play 1A. If true, Sallies could still schedule St. Marks. Of course how the point system for playoffs is going to be reviewed.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
If I understood correctly 3A can play 2A if they so choose, but they cannot play 1A. If true, Sallies could still schedule St. Marks. Of course how the point system for playoffs is going to be reviewed.

They can go play Malvern again

tenor.gif

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Interesting early return Smyrna opens with Bergen Catholic, NJ @ BC 09/10

Smyrna has a tough ass schedule..

#​
Date​
Day​
TimeOpponentH/ALocationCommentsW/LScore
1​

9/10/21​
Fri​
Bergen Catholic HS (NJ)
A​
Bergen Catholic HS (NJ)
2​

9/17/21​
Fri​
Middletown HS
H​
Smyrna HS
3​

9/24/21​
Fri​
Caesar Rodney HS
H​
Smyrna HS
4​

10/1/21​
Fri​
Sussex Central HS
A​
Sussex Central HS
5​

10/9/21​
Sat​
12:00pm​
St. Georges Tech HS
A​
St. Georges Tech HS
6​

10/22/21​
Fri​
Dover HS
H​
Smyrna HS
7​

10/29/21​
Fri​
Salesianum School
A​
Salesianum HS
8​

11/5/21​
Fri​
Appoquinimink HS
H​
Smyrna HS
9​

11/12/21​
Fri​
Cape Henlopen HS
A​
Cape Henlopen HS - Legends Stadium
They are going to have to keep the new QB happy with some good competition.

They are going to have to keep the new QB happy with some good competition.

lol well hopefully they can keep him upright.. Smyrna gonna take a beat down.. BC is a top 25 team in the country this year. Top 50 last year and returns their 4 star Sr QB who is about to commit to Notre Dame and holds offers from Ohio State, Michigan , well pretty much the whole Big 10 and LSU, Oregon etc... They have some other 3 and 4 star Power 5 guys returning as well.. Baptism by fire for whomever the new QB is

Last edited:
lol well hopefully they can keep him upright.. Smyrna gonna take a beat down.. BC is a top 25 team in the country this year. Top 50 last year and returns their 4 star Sr QB who is about to commit to Notre Dame and holds offers from Ohio State, Michigan , well pretty much the whole Big 10 and LSU, Oregon etc... They have some other 3 and 4 star Power 5 guys returning as well.. Baptism by fire for whomever the new QB is
Wow! That is going to be interesting. I may have to take a ride North. Keeping him upright is going to be a challenge. Anyway I have been hearing some chatter that a kid from DeMatha may end up at Smyrna. Possibly just a rumor.

Wow! That is going to be interesting. I may have to take a ride North. Keeping him upright is going to be a challenge. Anyway I have been hearing some chatter that a kid from DeMatha may end up at Smyrna. Possibly just a rumor.

Could be a rumor like last year with Marshawn Lloyd coming home to Middletown. Cameron Edge would certainly help the Eagles if he does come but I don't see that happening. I don't think he would be enough to hang with BC but it would certainly make Smyrna the favorite in 3A. It would also make the Smyrna V Middletown game week 2 real interesting with Edge vs Davis

Last edited:
It looks like that St. G is playing every other AAA team in the State. That fills out their full schedule. Coach Wilson must have some advanced political skills.

• Haha
It looks like that St. G is playing every other AAA team in the State. That fills out their full schedule. Coach Wilson must have some advanced political skills.

Honestly that is what I thought the "scheduling committee" would do with only 11 teams in TripA that they would all just play each other.. Guess some wanted to keep some rivalries going like Howard vs HVT etc.. As far as I can see HVT is the only AAA team scheduled to play a AA and they scheduled 2 (Howard and Newark) so far.. unless I missed something also Smyrna is the only one with a OOS game scheduled so far

Last edited:
Seen lake posted an updated 9 game schedule with Milford week 2. That should always be the last game of the season for both teams

Reactions: 84rider
oops Smyrna not the only one with a OOS

Dickinson vs Renaissance Academy (PA)
St Andrews vs Severn School (MD)

Cape is also playing two AA teams Woodbridge and Delmar

with most the AA teams schedules mostly full some of the AAA teams are in a hard place to find games.. makes no sense really for the AAA teams not to just schedule each other for the 10 games.. JMHO

Sals has weeks 1,2 and 10 still open.. Appo is open weeks 1,4 and 10... St Marks is also open week 10 so I assume they will fill in there and Sals will open with Appo.. If St Marks will play Sals..

I have no idea why HVT is playing Newark or why Cape is playing 2 AA teams..

Last edited:
NPOA. So the maybe there is a hold up as somebody may be waiting for the word from another opponent. I believe the Sals have opened with Fr. Judge a couple of times. Judge is playing a limited Spring schedule....I am not pumped up about the Sals playing a AA opponent unless it was Howard for the City Title....and Howard is booked for this year.

That is a bit confusing about Hodgson playing 2 teams in the lower conference.
I think Newark will be up in 2 years unless Howard wins it again, which is possible. Have they announced points between classes yet?

I think the 2nd division will be more competitive. Besides the usuals over the last 2 years, DMA and St. Marks are going to be really strong within 2-3 years.

Hopefully, a step down announcement.
If Sallies does not do well this year and/or next maybe just maybe you might hear something. I just don’t think the talent is there. I think the kids are given the benefit of the doubt because they are at Sallies with all the preseason hype. I keep hearing this freshman is starting and this sophomore is starting. Are they starting because they are good players or there is just a lack of talent over there?

The 11 teams in 3A thing is starting to really bug me lol.. Concord, Howard , Mt P should all be 3A with Appo and MT going to the other division. Both Mt P and Concord have been competitive with D1 opponents and both usually win big vs their D2's

3A should be 14 teams

North Div

William Penn
Sallies
HVT
St G
Howard
Concord
Mt P

South Div

Central
Smyrna
Cape
Dover
CR
MT
Appo

How about we do it the other way and leave them where they were already fairly competitive and when they are no longer then move them down?

Problem is now the precedence has been set and no will want to move up and they will pull a "Howard" to stay down..

11 teams in 3A is ridiculous.. hell if we want to make it teams that have a chance to win the ship then lets just make 3A 6 teams

I don't have an answer. My sense is that the compromise process got us to where we are with more than a few shifts in the proposal. For example, initially it was Howard and Woodbridge in 3A. There didn't seem to be much griping when Woodbridge slid down and Cape got moved up. It's just that nobody moved up to become the 12th team.

No matter what this is better than it was...

I agree that 11 is a little unwieldy. The again when the Big 10 added Penn State they had 11 schools for a long time...

I just don't think we needed to drop from 18 to 11 in our top division. We just needed to drop the teams consistently getting clocked and giving easy D1 points to D2 teams.. Charter, Delcastle, Poly, Milford and I guess Tech although I am on the fence about Tech as they could easily turn it around put a solid 3A team out there.. That said dropping those 5 out and bringing up Howard for now was all that needed to be done and then let the formula move teams up or down every 2 years

I just don't think we needed to drop from 18 to 11 in our top division. We just needed to drop the teams consistently getting clocked and giving easy D1 points to D2 teams.. Charter, Delcastle, Poly, Milford and I guess Tech although I am on the fence about Tech as they could easily turn it around put a solid 3A team out there.. That said dropping those 5 out and bringing up Howard for now was all that needed to be done and then let the formula move teams up or down every 2 years

dFp3mekSR7TsBolaWjqTiaQ8tT4a_Fln2CFti9jr_Ok.jpg

• Haha
If Sallies does not do well this year and/or next maybe just maybe you might hear something. I just don’t think the talent is there. I think the kids are given the benefit of the doubt because they are at Sallies with all the preseason hype. I keep hearing this freshman is starting and this sophomore is starting. Are they starting because they are good players or there is just a lack of talent over there?
There is talent there. Not long ago they fielded a team that has two starting NFL players. Last year, it looked like the players just wanted to get the season over. DiNardo did well but even he looked like he wanted it to end. Sallies has reached out for new blood twice. Once, after the awful Freeberry years and a second time after the awful Brazil years. They need to reach outside the current staff for somebody young and ambitious. The Sals have a storied history with over 600 program wins. A great foundation for a young coach to build on. That's the way it looks from here.

I have countered dovetail a lot of times but not this time. My son in law thought that talent wise this last year’s edition was like the 3rd or 4th most talented team in the BDN era. He didn’t think they would win it all because he had Smyrna pegged above them.

How do you assess last year’s Sals’ failure? Was the talent overrated? Like did the SRs believe they had a pathway to the final because they made it there as sophomores? Were they therefore lazy or entitled and enabled by their supporters? Has the coaching staff lost their fire? Can’t blame Covid...everybody had to deal with that?

Maybe their scheduling dilemma at the beginning of the year was a distraction combined with the distraction of the opening of the great facility - Abessinio Stadium.

Look no matter what the reason for failure...you are what your record says. They were a 3-4 team that should have been 5-2.

I have an emotional investment because of a family ties. That’s it. Nothing lasts forever. Maybe the Big S has slipped into mediocrity. Sorry, clones. I just don’t have a firm grip on the specific reason. All of the above?

Last edited:
More OOS and 2A vs 3A games

W Penn vs Penn Wood (PA)
Dover @ Arundel High (MD)
Smyrna vs Arundel High (MD)
TH @ Pennington School (NJ)

CR @ Archmere
Central @ Milford

Sallies and MT still stuck at 7 games.. Are there Southern 3A teams sticking it to the North not named St Georges for some reason?

Something ain't right with the Arundel High games like its the wrong entry or something. Arundel doesn't usually ever have any out of conference games available let alone 2

ohh IC.. Interesting.. Arundel got dropped from 4A to 3A and moved from East to South. most of AA county is 4A East and only three AA County teams in 3A South ( Arundel, Chesapeake, Crofton) Smyrna and Dover will count as 3A maybe 4A for them in points and will definitely count as 3A for Smyrna and Dover

MPSSAA Classification Committee Recommends Sport-Specific Classifications to Board of Control

The MPSSAA Classification Committee met in early November and voted to put forth recommended sport specific region alignments for the 2021-23 academic years. The recommendations, in accordance with the classification regulations found on page 26 of the MPSSAA Handbook, will be presented to the MPSSAA Board of Control for final approval. Select the desired link below to view the sport specific school enrollment numbers as submitted by local school systems, and the region and section alignment proposals made by the Classification Committee.
The Classification Committee is comprised of a representative from each of the nine districts and a school principal representative. For the purpose of competition parity in events coordinated by the MPSSAA, member schools are divided as equally as possible into classifications based on enrollment. Enrollment numbers are submitted to the MPSSAA Executive Director by November 1st by each local school system Superintendent and include the actual enrollment of grades 9, 10, 11 in each of the MPSSAA member schools as of September 30th.

Last edited:
I can’t speak on Sallies behalf but I heard the remaining south 3A schools didn’t wanna play Middletown, so if that’s the case I would assume that’s the case for Sallies as well.

I could very well be wrong about that too.

Appo and the Big S still have to play based on the realignment structure as was voted on by DIAA. That leaves them playing either week 1 or 10.

I can’t speak on Sallies behalf but I heard the remaining south 3A schools didn’t wanna play Middletown, so if that’s the case I would assume that’s the case for Sallies as well.

I could very well be wrong about that too.

Right now here are the South 3A teams playing MT or Sallies

MT- Smyrna and Central
Sallies- CR, Smyrna and Dover

Place another team in 3A. Just play in state. Make things easier for everybody. Howard complains about not being able to compete at 3A but schedules Hodgson, probably the best team overall the last 4 years.
Some teams won’t play MTown because they are stacked. Maybe? Not sure. But Now we have Mtown and Sals possibly looking to play D2 schools. So they are punished because no one will play them. At the end of the season those point totals may keep them from the playoffs. A couple of you keep throwing out the word equity. Equity is for all just not a select few. Why are Sals and Mtown being punished?
I don’t even know if they decided on the points yet.

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
Place another team in 3A. Just play in state. Make things easier for everybody. Howard complains about not being able to compete at 3A but schedules Hodgson, probably the best team overall the last 4 years.
Some teams won’t play MTown because they are stacked. Maybe? Not sure. But Now we have Mtown and Sals possibly looking to play D2 schools. So they are punished because no one will play them. At the end of the season those point totals may keep them from the playoffs. A couple of you keep throwing out the word equity. Equity is for all just not a select few. Why are Sals and Mtown being punished?
I don’t even know if they decided on the points yet.

Shine with 11 teams in 3A it was already set up for everybody to play everyone in 3A.. 10 games .. simple stuff and no one can complain about schedules or equity because they all play the same schedule . I have no idea why they didn't just do that. Doesn't make sense to me.

Unless it was Howard again and not wanting to give up their rivalry with HVT.. or Smyrna being dead set on flexing themselves vs a national power. etc.. who knows

Reactions: Huskerman7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT