ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Boys Basketball Bracket

Down year for Henlopen with no first round byes? Unsure.
I could be wrong but it usually seems like the Henlopen conference doesn’t get the recognition it should…maybe it’s the lack of attention from DE news papers compared to northern DE top teams…I know Sanford beat an undefeated Smyrna team last year and I don’t remember Smyrna even getting a top 5 seed…they were like 6-7ish?

Reactions: TwidderPhil
Unsure. The damn news journal has basically given up on HS sports coverage. I cancelled my news journal but subscribe online. I buy the State News everyday and they are great on sports coverage.

The seeds are math driven so I don’t think that makes your point. As far as upstate HS Bball coverage goes…it stinks.

The last Henny BBall team to get good upstate ink was Dover on their run a few years back.

Love the Henlopen Conference. You still have community schools.

It's the fact that HAC schools have to play their division twice (14 games). That's why, for instance, the Cape girls are seeded 10th despite going 15-5 and playing 2 of the East Coast's top teams, one of Florida's best teams, and 3 of DE's top 5 programs. The rest of the Henny North was abysmal this year, so boom, 10 seed behind some teams it would beat by 40.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
So Sallies schedules a bunch of other out of state private schools, loses to most of them..this makes them the #1 seed. I'll never understand.

Reactions: 8yaz
So Sallies schedules a bunch of other out of state private schools, loses to most of them..this makes them the #1 seed. I'll never understand.
What made them the number one seed was all the bonus points they accumulated by beating the in-state teams as the majority of Sals wins were against teams over .501 which gives them 2 points for the win, plus a bonus point. A win against a team over .701 is 2 point for the win plus 2 bonus points. I am pretty sure they accumulated more bonus points than any other team.

Reactions: 84rider
What made them the number one seed was all the bonus points they accumulated by beating the in-state teams as the majority of Sals wins were against teams over .501 which gives them 2 points for the win, plus a bonus point. A win against a team over .701 is 2 point for the win plus 2 bonus points. I am pretty sure they accumulated more bonus points than any other team.

They had more BONUS points than some teams had regular points. The game is the game.

Reactions: 84rider
Unsure. The damn news journal has basically given up on HS sports coverage. I cancelled my news journal but subscribe online. I buy the State News everyday and they are great on sports coverage.

The seeds are math driven so I don’t think that makes your point. As far as upstate HS Bball coverage goes…it stinks.

The last Henny BBall team to get good upstate ink was Dover on their run a few years back.

Love the Henlopen Conference. You still have community schools.

May I suggest this website for your basketball needs:

FirstStateHoopsReport.com

I know how they got the bonus points. Just making a point that they're receiving a ton of bonus points for losing games. And there is not even an argument that they're losing games to in-conference teams and don't have a choice but to schedule them. What other state has a number 1 seed with a 10-7 record.

I know how they got the bonus points. Just making a point that they're receiving a ton of bonus points for losing games. And there is not even an argument that they're losing games to in-conference teams and don't have a choice but to schedule them. What other state has a number 1 seed with a 10-7 record.
Agreed! Only in the state of De is this possible.

Agreed! Only in the state of De is this possible.
Not really. Just picking a random state. In Wisconsin, seeding is determined by a team's own winning percentage, its opponents' winning percentage, its opponents' opponents' winning percentage and one or two other factors.

Of course, it is natural to think that Howard and Caravel should be seeded above the Sals.…but crazy stuff happens like in 2015, a 10-10 #6 seed Sals team wins the state title…(then again they had Donte)….the last 3 games in the tournament they beat 18-3 Appo, 20-2 Mount & 22-1 Poly Tech. If my math is correct those last 3 opponents had a combined record of 60-6. Enough obsessing, Bummy will take his meds tomorrow morning…

Of course, it is natural to think that Howard and Caravel should be seeded above the Sals.…but crazy stuff happens like in 2015, a 10-10 #6 seed Sals team wins the state title…(then again they had Donte)….the last 3 games in the tournament they beat 18-3 Appo, 20-2 Mount & 22-1 Poly Tech. If my math is correct those last 3 opponents had a combined record of 60-6. Enough obsessing, Bummy will take his meds tomorrow morning…

Polytech went undefeated in state losing only to Garnet Valley and was the #8 or #9 seed that year too
But yeah that Sallies was different. Donte had a crazy state tournament run

Reactions: Dropping 3's
Sals #1 Seed. Mrs. Yaz, calls Yaz’s therapist!!!!
Collecting bonus points during the regular season and getting a high playoff seed has always been what Sally’s is good at. What they aren’t good at is winning championships (except when DD and BO were there).

Yes, they have had a a few championship game losses ('03, '93, '83,'91 & '75). I won't even get into the semifinal losses. Look at some of the great DE HS players who never won a title. DeShields at Seaford and Dexter Boney at Brandywine were maybe the 2 best players in DE HS history......

Yes, they have had a a few championship game losses ('03, '93, '83,'91 & '75). I won't even get into the semifinal losses. Look at some of the great DE HS players who never won a title. DeShields at Seaford and Dexter Boney at Brandywine were maybe the 2 best players in DE HS history......

'93 was my first title game (had a distant cousin who played for Glasgow, so we all went as a family to support) and it's so wild that the guy who hit the first big shot in the Bob's history now has a son with the same name playing for Sallies.

Brandywine and Seaford never even got to title games with Dexter and Bop, which makes it even harder to believe. The 80s were probably the most competitive time in the state tournament era.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
'93 was my first title game (had a distant cousin who played for Glasgow, so we all went as a family to support) and it's so wild that the guy who hit the first big shot in the Bob's history now has a son with the same name playing for Sallies.

Brandywine and Seaford never even got to title games with Dexter and Bop, which makes it even harder to believe. The 80s were probably the most competitive time in the state tournament era.
Seaford did play in a title game with Bop. They lost a great game to Mark Harris and Sanford. I think it was 73-67.

DeShields at Seaford and Dexter Boney at Brandywine were maybe the 2 best players in DE HS history......
Boney was a real talent, from my alma mater. Saw him play many times. My recollection was he didn't have the supporting cast to go all the way. I'd throw AJ English in the mix to round out top 3.

Reactions: theWILL2WIN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT