ADVERTISEMENT

All Conference Selection Question?

amp34

Towel boy
May 19, 2016
How does pitcher go 6-1 in Flight A for Appo, beat Cape and not get 1st Team All Conference. I have no horse in this race or a kid in high school. I just continued to be baffled by the politics in DE High School sports especially baseball and how these selections are made. DE High School baseball coaches are just that, coaches. When will they understand it is not about them? Oh well I welcome comment as this is an honest question. Thank God for Travel baseball, because if it was based only on the sorry ass 18 game DIAA schedule, DE kids would be in big doo doo trying to go to college.

How does pitcher go 6-1 in Flight A for Appo, beat Cape and not get 1st Team All Conference. I have no horse in this race or a kid in high school. I just continued to be baffled by the politics in DE High School sports especially baseball and how these selections are made. DE High School baseball coaches are just that, coaches. When will they understand it is not about them? Oh well I welcome comment as this is an honest question. Thank God for Travel baseball, because if it was based only on the sorry ass 18 game DIAA schedule, DE kids would be in big doo doo trying to go to college.
Because he wasn't one of the top pitchers and actually he was not the best pitcher on his team

From what I read, what I have heard and the few games I have seen, #5 Davis is their best pitcher but is very under rated.

Amp34 I wouldn't put all DE Baseball Coaches in that statement. There are several coaches that are out there that are 100% behind their kids. They talk to the college scouts and put their players in the best position to be looked at and to succeed. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. As you said, they are coaches and they are put in those positions for a reason....that reason isn't to make the game about them it is to make it about the kid.

what I seen he might be the 3rd best on the team

He may not be the best, but he started against Sallies, St. Marks, Middletown and Cape, earning the win against Middletown and Cape, and pitched very well against Sallies and St. Marks. Like I said, he may not be the best, but he has pitched very well against the best teams in the state and he's only a sophomore. Very bright future for him and Appo going forward.

You can’t go by records in HS. Obliviously Wegs is their #1 he is throwing against the best teams they face. Davis is a stud he’s probably an ace at many other schools. We’ll see but if I was Appo and was faced with a one game playoff I’m definitely throwing Weglarz.

You can’t go by records in HS. Obliviously Wegs is their #1 he is throwing against the best teams they face. Davis is a stud he’s probably an ace at many other schools. We’ll see but if I was Appo and was faced with a one game playoff I’m definitely throwing Weglarz.
then why didn't they throw wegs st George's and Hodgson that was appo biggest games

You don’t consider Cape a big game? Cape was #1 at the time to when they beat them. St Georges game? Dude they beat them 17-2 they could of used anyone against them it looks like @truthaboutsports

Your argument was because he didn’t pitch in a blow out win and against Hodgson in which he appeared in relief makes him not their #1 LOL. Btw not that it’s any of your business but my son goes to Dover have no relation to Weglarz family at all.
just my opinion and I think we find more people agree with me then disagree

That’s completely fine everyone has their own opinion. Appo would say he’s their “ace” based off the bigger games he thrown in.
And I know a few people that seem both these kids pitch a lot of more than me and you put together and I'm just going off there word

just my opinion and I think we find more people agree with me then disagree

I think we can all agree that whether he is their ace or number 2 or even number 3 for that matter, he is a fine young pitcher and that Appo is set up nice going into the tournament. We all know that it takes more then one pitcher to go deep into the playoffs and if he's your 3rd best pitcher, you can do some damage.

Reactions: DEJUICE and 84rider
Well here is what OldSkool had as of May 20

Pitching Record (let me know if Im off on records)
7-0 Mullen (Friends)
7-1 Insley (Wm Penn)
7-1 Wilkerson (Wm Penn)
7-2 Nelson (Friends)
6-0 Finocchiaro (St Georges)
6-1 Silan (Caravel)
6-1 Weglarz (Appo)
6-1 Matthews (Newark Charter)

I think people need to appreciate kids that are good. Senator you are absolutely right. DEJuice - I respect your opinion and you are correct as well regarding coaches. I support all kids, but to say Weglarz is not that good for those who have said it you're crazy!!

I don't get hung up on which pitcher is #1 or #2. All of the good teams have at least 3 pretty good pitchers and their coach will go with the one that is ready to go in the next game. There are only a few teams have that #1 pitcher that is clearly above the rest.

Happens nearly every year. Last year we had a kid who went 5-0 on the year and 3-0 in conference with a 1.05 ERA who also got 2nd team. Wins versus Tower Hill, St. E's, Sussex Tech, CR, and Lake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT