ADVERTISEMENT

Henlopen North Conference Rankings Preview

Feb 22, 2021
With the season starting on Tuesday, I’m looking to get some opinions about the upcoming season. Based off a few scrimmages and looking at returning players this is what I’m expecting the season to go. I think the top 2 could be debatable.
1. Cape Henlopen Last Year:13-5
I think Cape returns 9 players from last years team that already has a ton of experience. Cape should be loaded this year and should be one the favorites to win it all. I think them and Sussex Tech are going to be 1A and 1B all year. I gave the slight advantage to Cape because Tech lost a lot of pitching from the last year and I think that might be the difference especially during a playoff run

2. Sussex Tech Last Year: 14-3
Definitely don’t want people to think that Sussex Tech isn’t talented anymore. G.L. Jefferson is one of the best coaches around and has built a great program. Year in year out he always has his teams ready to compete. I’m looking forward to seeing the challenge he has in replacing a lot of leadership he lost. Ellingsworth, Dimes, Adams, and Shockley will be missed greatly. However, he returns Grant Allen who is on the best arms down south.

3. Sussex Central Last Year: 14-4
The Knights who lost conference POTY in Chase Boyle and other impactful players still have a talented group of players. Coming back is Braden Anderson who could arguably be the best player in the conference this year is lights out. Start the season against two decent teams in Delmarva Christian and Polytech will be tested early again this year.
4. Smyrna Last Year: 9-9
Smyrna who I thought was going to have a better record last year struggled with pitching. However, they did make it further than I think most people thought they would. They lost both starting pitchers from last year in Drummond and Netsch but still have a few arms to make some noise. I believe Wiley and Strauss will have to really productive in order for them to have a successful year.

5. Dover Last Year: 9-9
Will be Dover’s first year without Dave Gordon at the helm. Spadafino has a tall task in front of him. Dover does return Chambers and Yoder who were both productive last year for the Senators. Dover does return a lot of pitching which will help them stay in games but the offense might be limited. Dover did pick up a transfer from Smyrna and will have a lot of young guys playing a key role in how their season turns out.
6. Polytech Last Year: 8-10
The Panthers lost a lot of keys players last year. Polytech will have the task of replacing a lot of key contributors with potential underclass with little experience. Not sure if Poly will have the pitching to compete with other teams in the conference.

Sussex Central is the team to beat down south. Tech and Cape will be right there with them. Haven't gotten a confirmation, but heard Cape lost arguably their best player to a terrible knee injury. Awful if true.

CR and Smyrna can hit, but may lack a solid arm.. Dover's best players are young.

Reactions: Mark_Dickinson
Sussex Central is the team to beat down south. Tech and Cape will be right there with them. Haven't gotten a confirmation, but heard Cape lost arguably their best player to a terrible knee injury. Awful if true.

CR and Smyrna can hit, but may lack a solid arm.. Dover's best players are young.
Really unfortunate if that rumor is true. I also heard that Central picked up the SS from Sussex Academy last year. I believe his name was Tidwell but was a really good player and should only be a freshman this year I think.

Reactions: Woody_Wood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT