3rd Team - Gentile, Archmere 12

Utility
1st Team - Fraley, Caravel 11
2nd Team - Small, Dover 12
3rd Team - Burton, Wm Penn 11
3rd Team - Orzel, Archmere 11

Coach - Billy Cunningham

Last edited:
no idea on Hidalgo, I thought he would be in player of the year conversations before the year. Maybe his numbers were down this season, if they even look at those things when they vote all state. Maybe other's were inflated. All I know is that if I had to put a team on the field from this year's players, he'd be my catcher. And I really like the other's that made it, all strong players. Just like Regan's bat a bit more.

Does anyone know how the process even works for all state? Does a coach nominate and then vote? Do they just vote on positions and the top vote getter is first team, next is second team....

I am going to bet you have to make 1st team All Conference team to even be considered for All State. Looks like McAllister from Middletown took 1st team in the Blue Hen. If this is true it is a really dumb rule. The 2 best position players in the state could easily be in the same conference. Out of all the players that made it for catcher the only player I did not see was McAllister. Hidalgo was the most impressive defensive catcher I watched all year.

Someone tell me how Regan Hidalgo the catcher from AI does not make any team?
If there was a set guideline i'm sure he would have. Seems to me that it is make it up as you go kind of thing. Some of the players on the teams were HOT in the beginning of the season and faded out mid to end of season but still made one of the teams. Let's look at Fraley from Caravel he has been lights out from everything I have seen and it's not him and Walter on the 1st team pitching. Fraley listed as utility player. Is that the easy way out because he should of been 1st team in the outfield and on the mound??????? Kid is a STUD with not disrespect to Walter because he also had an awesome year but Fraley should of been player of the year.

Reactions: JustDeFan
I am not debating that Fraley didn't have a good year, but lets see his stats before saying he should have been player of the year. Walter put up stats that are unbelievable, 9-1 record, 0.22 era, 134 K's, and he only walked 13. Those numbers are not inflated either, kid is playing D1 next year for a reason, he has the goods and will deliver for the U of D next season. Yes Fraley is a great player also and remember only a Junior, so we all have the opportunity to watch him for one more season. If I was in the room I would have been very comfortable voting for either one of them for player of the year.

In regards to the process. Here is what i know. If you make all conference 1st team, you then are eligible for All state. So possibly in the case of Hidalgo, if he was second all conference, he wasn't even eligible for all state. Thats how i understand it to be. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I think both are very good. Now if your not in a conference, i'm not sure how they weight that as far as all state goes. But i'm pretty certain about the conference component.

I don't see how Fraley wasn't part of the mix pitching. The only thing i can think is that he didn't start many games early. He was more off the bench. Yes, lights out, but that goes a little more unnoticed. In my personal opinion both were awesome, but i would have to lean towards Walter because of his total dominance from inning 1 to the final inning of SO MANY games from the beinning to the end of the season. And just to be clear i'm not knocking Fraley, he is great....nor am i commenting on the kids that were honored. Congrats to them all....congrats to those that didn't get recognized like a Hidalgo that weren't on there due to the process, a technicality, or whatever the reasoning. There were many that deserved recognition for having a great season.

Some additional names that i thought worthy to include that weren't on the list were:

Harris, TH (7-1)
Sean Gilardi, St Marks (6-0)
Kyle Hinton, Sallies
Reeder, Milford
Buglio, NCS
Hutchins, Dover
Thomas, Dover

Some i saw, others i seen their production on the teams website consistently throughout the season. Just my opinion.

I was surprised not to see Hinton's name anywhere on the list too.

I'm assuming Brandon Fraley is Jake's brother? Any idea where Brandon is looking to go after Caravel?

@oldskool42 There is non conference team voting too. Includes St Marks, Caravel, Sallies, St Es and NCS to name a few.

Hinton might not of gotten first team all non conference. Not sure how that happened based on the All State results at his position.

I am not debating that Fraley didn't have a good year, but lets see his stats before saying he should have been player of the year. Walter put up stats that are unbelievable, 9-1 record, 0.22 era, 134 K's, and he only walked 13. Those numbers are not inflated either, kid is playing D1 next year for a reason, he has the goods and will deliver for the U of D next season. Yes Fraley is a great player also and remember only a Junior, so we all have the opportunity to watch him for one more season. If I was in the room I would have been very comfortable voting for either one of them for player of the year.
Also, Factor in the teams that both played as well.

In regards to the process. Here is what i know. If you make all conference 1st team, you then are eligible for All state. So possibly in the case of Hidalgo, if he was second all conference, he wasn't even eligible for all state. Thats how i understand it to be. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I think both are very good. Now if your not in a conference, i'm not sure how they weight that as far as all state goes. But i'm pretty certain about the conference component.

I don't see how Fraley wasn't part of the mix pitching. The only thing i can think is that he didn't start many games early. He was more off the bench. Yes, lights out, but that goes a little more unnoticed. In my personal opinion both were awesome, but i would have to lean towards Walter because of his total dominance from inning 1 to the final inning of SO MANY games from the beinning to the end of the season. And just to be clear i'm not knocking Fraley, he is great....nor am i commenting on the kids that were honored. Congrats to them all....congrats to those that didn't get recognized like a Hidalgo that weren't on there due to the process, a technicality, or whatever the reasoning. There were many that deserved recognition for having a great season.

Fraley had 80+ Ks in 45 innings..... WOW!!!!! Like I said I'm not taking anything from Walter he did have an awesome year. Just saying they need to make a process and stick to it.

Congrats to ALL the players picked for either list/ team. Well deserved and Congrats even to those who were not even mentioned and I'm sure we all know who they are. It's not hard to figure if you follow the game.

Total of 3 games remain and then we say goodbye to another High School Baseball Season.

Congrats to All the SENIORS and we all hope you follow your dreams...... Class of 2015 !!!

I feel Gilardi and Hinton should have made an appearance on the list. Congrats to all who made it especially Nate Thomas, first team all state as a freshman is a huge achievement

I'd say, how does non tournament teams have 4 all staters? Makes no sense. All state meetings are so corrupt!
Agreed. With what WP received you would have thought they were in the State Championship. I don't think they even made the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT