ADVERTISEMENT

All State and Player of the Year Award

8yaz

Top 100 Prospect
Mar 22, 2007
When does the Delaware Baseball Coaches All State Team and Player of the Year get announced?

On 6/4 of last year you posted that they were finally available. Another week maybe?

OK thanks. Maybe next week then. Interested in seeing who gets Player of the Year.

Thoughts?

Fraley?

Player of the Year was already announced Pete Grasso A.I Dupont High.

I was out of town a few days, but from what I am told several players have been told if they have made All State and Blue/ Gold game.

Originally posted by Gophils123:
Player of the Year was already announced Pete Grasso A.I Dupont High.
Grasso? Is that official? I didn't think they released any names yet. At least they aren't posted on Debca.org.

8yaz,

Yes unless the player was given bad information cause, I heard from players at A I he was told. Players have also been told about All State, but that is not listed on Debca.

This post was edited on 5/26 9:04 AM by Gophils123

Thanks GoPhils. And if that's the case congratulations Pete Grasso and all the other players who have been told and we don't know about yet.

I find it interesting that there are only two players on the All-State team from the two teams that will be playing in the championship game on Tuesday.

What's really interesting, all the Middletown (MOT) kids on both rosters.
How tough would they be if all the kids didn't " transfer ". That's something to think about.
Is Middletown that bad? Or Caravel and St Marks that good?
I was told yesterday by a close friend, that they have been having some serious problems and have multiple State Troopers stationed there. Public school is not the same as when you were a student Yaz, many many years ago.

These All State teams kill me. I have seen a player make second team one year then have a better year the next and not make the team.

What's also interesting is the pitchers that make all-state in another position also. If these guys are on the mound 9 or 10 games a year how can they selected as an all-state player in another position if they have only played that position half or less than half of the season? Not taking anything away from Grasso because I think he is a great kid and deserves to be on the team as a pitcher, but I believe his record was 8-1 and I believe he sat out a game due to injury. That would mean he only played 8 games at SS. How could he make it over other players who played a full season there??

Originally posted by Jagreb12:

What's also interesting is the pitchers that make all-state in another position also. If these guys are on the mound 9 or 10 games a year how can they selected as an all-state player in another position if they have only played that position half or less than half of the season?
That's actually a pretty good point. I think you should only be allowed to make All-State at one position.

Hey guys cause voting has very little or nothing to do with defense all about the offensive numbers. No one cares about good defense those numbers are not sexy on paper.

This post was edited on 5/27 10:45 AM by Gophils123

@ gophils I agree defense is overlooked. If they don't score you can't lose!

Brad Nowell the second basemen from St Mark's is outright outstanding in the field. As fundamentally sound player as you will find. Makes every play. Has fantastic range. If I had a younger son playing I would have them watch the kid play defense. Great hitter too but a line drive hitter. Not hitting home runs. Tough out on base all the time. Why a player like that would not even garner votes is beyond me.

I agree players should not be able to make All State at multiple positions especially if one position is pitcher and he is on the mound half the season. No way you can compare a everyday position player to a part time position player.

Brad Nowell is a very very good second basemen and I agree with all you said regarding his play. I believe he fell victim to not making 1st team All Conference, Mctaggart from St E. made 1st team Conference, maybe Brad was 2nd team, not sure? If that is the case Nowell was not eligible for All State. The St E player also made 1st team All State this happens every year to some good ball players get overlooked due to this rule. You could have the two best second basemen in one conference only the 1st team recipient is eligible for All State.

8yaz...... yes Grasso is headed to play in college he is going to a fantastic D-3 baseball school Salisbury Univ. People I talked too before this season said he was getting looks late last summer from Del State and others. He is a real good player not sure he is a college shortstop, but he can play many positions very good academically also.

This post was edited on 5/27 8:18 PM by Gophils123

Just to give a perspective from a different viewpoint:

I don't see a problem being recognized at two positions. If your the best pitcher and SS, then be recognized as such. If you can prove it at pitcher in 9 games, then you can prove it at SS in 9 games. And it is about the bat which you prove during 18+ games. These are all good athletes and I can't imagine there's enough difference in fielding percentage to make much of a difference. And if you don't score, you don't win.

The fact that there aren't multiple players on the teams playing in the final goes to the point that HS baseball is a team sport where coaching also plays a big part in getting there.

Cswfan,

The question then becomes is he really the best ss? Your analogy of him being the best pitcher in 9 games really doesn't compare to being the best ss in 9 games. 9 games on the mound is considered a full season for a high school pitcher and as I said in a previous post, he did an excellent job on the mound and deserves the accolades he received as a pitcher, however 9 or less games at ss would be considered part time. If other position players who do not pitch and have very good batting statistics were to miss half of their games should they be all state players?? I don't believe players should be rewarded at other positions because they excelled at their primary position. From all indications Grasso is an average to slightly better than average ss. Once again, not a knock on the kid so please don't come at me if you think I'm bad mouthing the kid. I have seen him play several times during the travel season (by the way, he did not play ss all summer on his travel team) as well as several A.I games. In my opinion, Stevens from Appo and Disabitino from St. Marks should have been ranked higher than him at ss. I know but don't agree that it's all about what the kids did at the plate but I will tell you that both Stevens and Disabitino had very good years at the plate. There may be others who should have warranted more consideration, however I only mention these two because I have seen both of them play multiple times.

@Gophils Not being eligible for the All State team because you don't make first team all conference is another dumb rule. You could have the 2 best overall players in the state playing the same position in the same conference and one is not eligible for All State. How dumb is that rule?

If that is the rule how did Hudson and Nardo make second team at shortstop. Both from the same conference?
This post was edited on 5/28 8:31 AM by oldtimer22

Originally posted by oldtimer22:

Not being eligible for the All State team because you don't make first team all conference is another dumb rule. You could have the 2 best overall players in the state playing the same position in the same conference and one is not eligible for All State. How dumb is that rule?

Another valid point

I personally feel that you shouldn't get 2 spots on all state for baseball. 9 games at a fielding position isn't good enough to qualify. Plus, lets face it...all state isn't "fair", and kids are being left off. So don't tie up two spots with one kid.

I also don't like the process of only 1st all conference players are considered for all state. We

Unfortunately, defense doesn't have much to do with all state at all. Or fairness for that matter. I am pretty certain a kid on the all state list had as many ERRORS as games played, but yet made all state. I would never put the kids name out there, but thats just terrible. The kid is a good hitter, but actually not phenomenal or anything this year.

Kids get all state on reputation, good "marketing" by the coaches and offensive output (or perceived output). It is, what it is.

But honestly, i don't know what you can do much differently. NO ONE sees enough of the kids during the season to make a good assessment of who is better than who. Most coaches don't see more than a game or two of any of the other kids. We have no media coverage. The Diaa can't do it. We know the stats aren't accurate...and nobody keeps defensive stats. So your left with the process we have.

My only suggestion is maybe having more than 1 All state at each position, at each level. You could have 2 catchers 1st team all state, 2 catchers 2nd team all state and 2 catchers all state honorable mention. This way more kids do get recognized.

Unfortunately...I have to agree about the voting procedure for the all state kids. I will not name names or programs, but the numbers that are presented to the coaches are WAY off. And yes, I have heard that defensive stats are not accounted for when it comes to voting. This unfortunately also occurs at the conference meetings as well. As fans, coaches, players and all others who watch these kids play, it should be obvious that certain kids get screwed with this process. And, as you also stated, there is no fix to the problem unless the scorebooks are done correctly, kids are not given extra hits/RBI's/etc.... You can argue and moan all you want, but the system is the system until something changes...

Oldtimer
This is what I was told last night regarding your question. How do two players at the same position in same conference make All State if you have to make 1st team all conference. I was also confused and had to ask around to get the answer.

At the Conference meeting each conference is given one additional nominee for 1st team all conference. It can be used on only one player at his primary position, but only one player for each conference. This is done in case you have two of the best players in one conference at the same position. This is voted on by the conference coaches and both players are awarded 1st team all conference and eligible for all state voting. So yes, you must make 1st team all conference to be eligible for all state.

Still a dumb rule where a great player could be left out. New Rule. Anyone who makes first or second team all conference is eligible. Problem solved.

Oldtimer22. I agree with you. But i say why leave ANYONE out? Throw ALL the all-conference players into the mix. What does it hurt? The second team all state player should be the 2nd best player in the state at that spot, regardless of his conference.

Part of this rule is to make sure the weaker conferences get representation. I don't think thats fair or needed for all state or for automatic bids into the playoffs. Your conference affiliation shouldn't have anything to do with statewide awards.

I agree with all the points that "oldskool" suggested.
To give recognition to more players, in each and every sport. It should not only be based on "conference selections", as some conferences have stronger teams/players and then players within a competitive conference suffer.

Also, if a coach has a son or relative on a team, they should step down from selecting players.

An example would be like umpires/referees in various sports. The officials/umpires "red line" themselves if they have any ties to a certain program (coached, a child playing for the program, etc...). It just keeps everyone that umpires impartial, fair playing field. Then there are no issues of calling a fair game though and though.

"Politics" will always play a part of the selection process as well.

Good luck to all!

Great article in the News Journal on Pete Grasso today. He had the best offensive stats of any player that made 1st team. So yes, in my mind he deserves to be 1st team All-State SS. Give credit where credit's due.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT