ADVERTISEMENT

ALL STATE

8yaz

Top 100 Prospect
Mar 22, 2007

Cape Henlopen's Zach Gelof has been named the 2018 Delaware Baseball Player of the Year by the 41 members Delaware Baseball Coaches Association.

Gelof, who was named the Gatorade Player of the Year earlier in the week, hit .466 with 6 home runs and 16 RBIs for the Vikings, who will play in Friday's state semifinals.

2018 Delaware Baseball Coaches Association First Team

Catcher: Marshall Awtry, Conrad, sr.

First Base: Nick Zegna, Newark, sr.

Second Base: Ryan Speed, Hodgson, sr.

Third Base: Kevin Buglio, Newark Charter, sr.

Shortstop: Zack Gelof, Cape Henlopen, sr. (POY)

Outfielder: Austin Elliott, Cape Henlopen, sr.

Outfielder: Javon Fields, Appoquinimink, sr.

Outfielder: Nicolas Hertzfeld, DMA, sr.

DH: Noah Finocchiaro, St. Georges, so.

Utility: Joey Silan, Caravel, sr.

Pitcher: David Erickson, Cape Henlopen, sr.

Pitcher: Dominic Velazquez, Dover, so.

Coach of the Year: Marvin Dooley, William Penn

Asst. Coach of the Year: Bill Moore, Newark Charter

2018 DBCA Delaware Second Team

Catcher: Zach Pritchard, William Penn, so.

First Base: Gabe Rincon, Delmar, so.

Second Base: Luke Johnson, Cape Henlopen, so.

Third Base: Josh Maguire, Salesianum, sr.

Shortstop: Brian Gilardi, Saint Mark's, sr.

Outfielder: Mike Dellose, Archmere, jr.

Outfielder: CJ Wilkerson, William Penn, jr.

Outfielder: Bruce Greenly, Milford, sr.

Cape has a lot of good ball players. But, with all the love they get on these all state teams, they better win it all!!! To have 2-3 players getting draft considerations, 7 players making an all state team, and 0 state championships in 4 years (IN DE) would be a huge disappointment in my opinion!

Cape has a lot of good ball players. But, with all the love they get on these all state teams, they better win it all!!! To have 2-3 players getting draft considerations, 7 players making an all state team, and 0 state championships in 4 years (IN DE) would be a huge disappointment in my opinion!

If they don’t win it all yes I’ll be a little disappointed but still one proud dad and it’s been one hell of a 4 year ride i wouldn’t change it for it nothing. Trophies collect dust memories last forever. #boystomen

If they don’t win it all yes I’ll be a little disappointed but still one proud dad and it’s been one hell of a 4 year ride i wouldn’t change it for it nothing. Trophies collect dust memories last forever. #boystomen
Hearing doubt creep in?? If they don't win it will be an absolute failure, especially after all the blather on this board. Trophies do collect dust, but Rings are forever.

Hearing doubt creep in?? If they don't win it will be an absolute failure, especially after all the blather on this board. Trophies do collect dust, but Rings are forever.

No doubt creeping in whatsoever, I just know that I won’t be throwing, catching or hitting today so I can’t control shit. Failure in your eyes maybe but not mine I’m gonna be proud either way and your completely entitled to your opinion!

Buglio over maguire
It all depends on which coaches see them play during the season. I always thought that hurt Caravel kids with all the out of state games they play. Sallies plays St Marks and St Es twice plus 2 out of state games. Both limit players potential votes. Maguire is going to Maryland to play. So I guess the right people saw him play though! Because of his speed I am not sure why Maguire was not in the outfield for Sallies anyway.

Reactions: KnowitallDE

Of course, losing will be disappointing and team success trumps individual success in team sports. Having said that it is great for any student athlete to receive all state honors. It is a recognition of their hard work and efforts. Good luck to all these young men.

Cape will bring title back to Lewes come Sunday.....

I hope so but they are facing a very good team, I believe pitching will determine the outcome. Both teams hit and shag balls well. Whoever wins, it will be well deserved. Tough playoffs this year, neither team had a cake walk. Ultimately these are the two top teams this year in the state....OT, I really think Dover’s coach deserved COY imo

cant here you ??? Back means.. Kick ass and bring a title back home to Lewes.. Like i said...

I am pretty confident he was just referencing the way you phrased the statement, the way you worded it made it sound like Cape had won a state title prior to today.

Plus, lets not act like it was some grand prediction that Cape would win the title. I think just about everyone picked them to win it before the season even started.

Last edited:
Buglio over maguire

I don't know how much politics played into this decision, can you say for certain that Maguire had a better year the Buglio? I know Buglio hit a bunch of home runs for NC, but I can't say for certain that Buglio had a better year then Maguire, and vice-versa. Both are fantastic players and I wish Maguire the best of luck at Maryland and Buglio the best of luck at Delaware.

I am pretty confident he was just referencing the way you phrased the statement, the way you worded it made it sound like Cape had won a state title prior to today.

Plus, lets not act like it was some grand prediction that Cape would win the title. I think just about everyone picked them to win it before the season even started.
C

Cape won... Alot of excuses for CA.. They lost.. Move on...To me .. Dover was better than CA...

Reactions: Agelof
cant here you ??? Back means.. Kick ass and bring a title back home to Lewes.. Like i said...
I assume you mean that you can't hear me.
My question wasn't a taunt, it was a simple question of the record. As it turns out, Cape had no previous baseball titles, which should make this one all the sweeter.
Congratulations to the Cape baseball team on a tremendous championship year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT