ADVERTISEMENT

Beast of the East Seeds

5swipes

Towel boy
Dec 20, 2015
i saw a lot of love for the Delaware boys. Some very concerning, Loma Thomas at 220, JT Davis at 160 and the glaring Chris Handlin at 182. He just lost by major decision in a dual meet but was seeded 15.

Having Loma Thomas seeded #12 in the biggest and toughest tournament in the country is a JOKE. His coach lied to get him a good seed. He should be ashamed.

So what did Loma Thomas do to get seeded? Not trying to be condescending, I just followed him last season and legit don't know what about his resume would justify a seed.

Reactions: Dearslayer302
All this tells me is they seed like the top 8 or 10 with a close eye then see where the can get a Delaware kid in at from 11-16.

So what did Loma Thomas do to get seeded? Not trying to be condescending, I just followed him last season and legit don't know what about his resume would justify a seed.
I just googled to find out who he is. These kinds of seeding headscratchers only harm the reputation of Delaware wrestling in the eyes of people in the region. I don't know the kid, and I hope he does well. But if we can't respect the Beast, how can others in the nation when you compare it with the Ironman and other tough tournaments.

Here are the Delaware kids that are seeded:
106 - N/A
113 - #12 Zach Spence, Salesianum & #15 Will Rayne, Indian River
120 - #7 Robbie Rosser - Milford
126 - #14 Anthony Caruso, Cape & #15 Cam Hayes, Caesar Rodney
132 - #14 Rashad Stratton, Sussex Central & #15 Nick Natarcola, Smyrna (Former Sanford Nico Chilson is #16 from Rootstown)
138 - #11 Jackson Dean, Caesar Rodney
145 - #11 Greg Baum, Smyrna & #15 Kyle McDonough, Sanford
152 - #11 Andrew Brooks, Sanford
160 - #10 Avery Mayan, Polytech & #12 JT Davis, Smyrna
170 - N/A
182 - #15 Chris Handlin, Cape
195 - #2 Tony Wuest, Smryna
220 - #12 Loma Thomas, McKean
285 - N/A

Most of the seeding seems to be on point.....however, they messed up on that one. They felt bad and wanted to give Delaware a gift. We’ll see if he even makes the podium.

@Deerslayer302 you mean the podium in Delaware right? Because he'd be lucky to see the Blood Round at a tournament like this.

Reactions: proudscfan
@Dearslayer302 I am Loma Thomas head coach. First and foremost, he is a hard working individual who works hard in season and off season playing multiple sports. Second, how would I lie when all the information is on track wrestling? What YOU should be "ashamed" of is knocking students who are kids without knowing those individuals themselves or the coach for that matter. Loma was very successful in the state of Maryland before he transferred to Mckean High School where he took 3rd in the state last year. Let me also remind you that JayJuan Jones from AI High School who placed 8th at the Beast last year Loma beat on FOUR SEPERATE OCCASIONS. If you ever have a concern and want to speak in a negative light about myself or any of my wrestlers feel free to contact me personally.

Having Loma Thomas seeded #12 in the biggest and toughest tournament in the country is a JOKE. His coach lied to get him a good seed. He should be ashamed.
I'm not sure if you big talkers that aren't involved on any level understand seeding but coaches can't lie. Our kids records, opponents they have beaten and tournament placements are all on track wrestling. It's not 1993 still dad!

Reactions: wtc76
I dont want this to be taken as bad mouthing our own kids. I support every kid from up north to down south. However look at the numbers? We had roughly 10 kids seeded last year and I think we had 5 kids in the blood round, 2 of which placed. And when you get majored in an in state dual meet to a kid unseeded then you should not be seeded. Correct myrealname?

Reactions: TrueBlue16
When did he get majored in a duel meet? He has only wrestled in two duel meets and one tournament this year and only loss coming in the finals. He weighed 245 last year and worked on and is in great shape weighing in at 215. He has switched from HWT to 220 because the 60 to 70lbs difference was too much weight. Loma wualify do for MD states as a freshmen and sophomore but didn't place at HWT. Both years had a record of about 32 and 5. Last year he had a record of 23 and 4 while becoming a conference champ and 3rd in the state while also beating a nationally ranked opponent and a wrestler who took 8th at the beast multiple.times. This year he participated in some tean DE functions having about a .500 record in those events. When he wrestles the way I want him to, he is an animal. He is a "yes sir, no sir" type student and humble as well. As I stated in previous posts, in later years no one asks "were you seeded at beast or states" they ask "did you place at beast or states"

Reactions: Dahammer23
5swipes is talking about Handlin. Loma beat a kid that placed at the beast last year four times!

I dont want this to be taken as bad mouthing our own kids. I support every kid from up north to down south. However look at the numbers? We had roughly 10 kids seeded last year and I think we had 5 kids in the blood round, 2 of which placed. And when you get majored in an in state dual meet to a kid unseeded then you should not be seeded. Correct myrealname?
Aren't you an official @5swipes? Kids have bad matches whether it's from a bad cut, sickness or many other reasons. How about we all be happy for our kids and cheer them on this weekend rather than trash them over things that aren't even in their control. I'm sure @Sals78 or any of the Beast guys would be willing to discuss your opinions on their seeding criteria. Maybe talk to them in person like an adult instead of hiding on here coming at kids.

@Dearslayer302 I am Loma Thomas head coach. First and foremost, he is a hard working individual who works hard in season and off season playing multiple sports. Second, how would I lie when all the information is on track wrestling? What YOU should be "ashamed" of is knocking students who are kids without knowing those individuals themselves or the coach for that matter. Loma was very successful in the state of Maryland before he transferred to Mckean High School where he took 3rd in the state last year. Let me also remind you that JayJuan Jones from AI High School who placed 8th at the Beast last year Loma beat on FOUR SEPERATE OCCASIONS. If you ever have a concern and want to speak in a negative light about myself or any of my wrestlers feel free to contact me personally.
He is a good wrestler, his one loss coming to Balback this year in the Finals @ YellowJacket Invitational

Being involved with a lot of National Tournament seedings, I believe Beast is very fair. If we are talking Delaware wrestlers. With what people are saying about Handlin, he placed last year and that gets him points over Wright. Wright didn't wrestle last year.

As someone who has known @AllHeart28 for almost 25 years, I would vouch for him not begging for his kid getting seeded. This kid pry earned it, but I get offended by saying his coach did this. His coach earned every right in Delaware sports to say what he says. You would be surprised if you knew who you were talking about!

I think there is a lot of confusion on this forum. I was referring to Handlin with the major. I was weary about Thomas being seeded however I do know he beat JJJ last year. I did not realize it was four times, I also have had a conversation with Loma before and he is a very respectable kid. That being said he probably did deserve a seed after last years matches. See that is what mature people do, accept they were wrong or that your argument is more correct and accept it. I understand that the seeding process is very difficult and strenuous, there are 55-70 kids per weight with different season lengths, strength of schedules, etc. I'd love for Delaware to have the kids from our own state do well, I really do, but numbers don't lie when it comes to how many place compared to how many get seeded.

Reactions: proudscfan
I just am not a fan of Delaware parents and wrestlers talking poorly about other Delaware wrestlers. What made the state great when I was in high school is that in national tournaments such as these, we all routed for one another. We were happy as hell if ANY Delaware wrestlers placed or were seeded at these national caliber tournaments. It didn't matter the school, all of DE wrestlinf was routing for that wrestler. When we used to have one or two DE wrestlers in the Beast finals every year, Delaware wrestling fans would pack the house. All of you who speak negatively on TEENAGERS as adults is immature enough, but we must get back to our roots and come together as a state to improve as a state and support ALL of our wrestlers and programs.

i remember loma wrestling for jm bennett in md. he was a pretty good hvywght from what i remember. i think when he was a freshman he upset a really high ranked pvt school kid and got launched in the rankings. the skill level at 220 is such that it would not surprise me if a strong kid like him placed or came close.

Loma ended up receiving a bye and then lost 3 to 1 because he tried a desperation lat drop. The kid he wrestled was good defensively and ended up beating the number 5 seed the next match 3 to 2 to make the quarter finals. Loma ended up winning his second match 12 to 3 and wrestled well. He then wrestled a kid from Malvern Prep and it was tied 1 to 1 in the 3rd period. Loma then did an illegal hold which caused him to lose 2 to 1. He wrestled well and had some tough matches against wrestlers who should place IMO. I told him how close he was to being nationally good in a tournament such as this only losing by two and then by one. I also informed him that it's the national wrestlers who find the way to win those close matches by one. That's what makes the good wrestlers great and he has some more work to do before he hits that next level. Let's all show our support tomorrow to those boys who made it to the second day and pack the house with Delaware wrestling fans!

Jackson Dean looked to have been seeded suitably. Lost 3-1 in sudden victory to the 3 seed who finished 5th and the 8th seed 7-3 who finished 7th.

Reactions: wrestlingdad15
Jackson Dean looked to have been seeded suitably. Lost 3-1 in sudden victory to the 3 seed who finished 5th and the 8th seed 7-3 who finished 7th.

Its heartbreaking to see Jackson come 1 win away from placing. He also beat the kid who took 8th in the pre quarters 9-5 I believe. He has 2 more years to get on that podium. Proud of all the Delaware boys that showed up and gave it their all.

This tournament (as you all know) is very hard to place in especially as an underclassman in the middle and upper weights. If you look back to prior DE wrestlers in the state such as Alex Meade, Luke Rebertus, Ryan Wolfe, Andrew Bradley, Matt Cathell (the list goes on and on) all did not place as freshmen and sophomores. These wrestlers then went on as Juniors and Seniors to place top 3 and/or make the finals or win the tournament. Dean is a hell of a wrestler and we have the privilege to see how he does in the future.

To update my earlier post both wrestlers who Loma lost to made it to the blood round and one wrestler lost by a point to the wrestler who took 6th and the other by 3 to the wrestler who took 5th. Sometimes in this tournament you can get bad beats and have a tough road to place against placing wrestlers and other times have the easier road (and I use the word easy lightly in reference to this tournamnet).

What we are seeing is DE wrestlers improve each year as we are having more and more DE wrestlers place or make it to the blood round. I believe we had two wrestlers place but we also had 4 others make it to the blood round. It is in my hopes that we continue on the up and up and get back to those 1998 to 2010 years when we would have about a dozen wrestlers place with 2 or 3 of them in the finals. It's going to take the whole DE wreatling community getting involved with our youth and spread the knowledge to the parents of how wreatling improves their children as people and is more than just a sport.

Reactions: Dahammer23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT