ADVERTISEMENT

Best Delaware Wrestler in last 15-20 years

DESportzFan13

Water boy
Feb 9, 2016
I know somebody was trying to make an all time list, I'm curious to see what people say about this. I'm sure a lot of people are biased for there school, just want to see people's opinion.

Yeah concord, I'd probably have to say Alex Meade. 2x Ironman & 2x Beast champ is impressive to me, although he wasn't a 4 timer still probably my pick.

Only started following the sport when my son decided to wrestle and I definitely did not grow up in Delaware, but these are some noteworthy mentions. I know Fleetwood won Beast of the East once since he falls under my time and that Craighton won 3 times since he coached my kid. Not sure of the others on this list.

DELAWARE'S FOUR-TIME WRESTLING CHAMPIONS

Includes school, years and weight class

Jim Terry St. Andrew's 1957-60 (120-112-120-127)
Kurt Howell Newark 1983-86 (98-105-112-119)
Randy Brown Laurel 1984-85, Delmar 1986-87 (98-119-126-132)
Sheldon Thomas St. Mark's 1989-92 (103-103-112-119)
Damien Craighton William Penn 1993-96 (171-171-189-189)
Bruce Kelly St. Mark's 1995-98 (112-119-119-125)
Andrew Donofrio St. Mark's 1999-2002 (119-140-145-152)
Sean Dolan St. Mark's 2007-10 (103-112-119-119)
Codey Combs Sussex Central 2008-11 (125-140-145-152)
Brent Fleetwood Smyrna 2011-14 (103-106-113-120)

There is no contest with this question. IMO Alex Meade was the best wrestler DE has ever seen. Obviously other wrestlers have more collegiate accolades but based strictly off high school there is no doubt Alex Meade

Gotta mention Jason Moaney here, 2X state champ, Champ of the 1st ever beast of the east where he was outstanding wrestler, and champ at the high school nationals. Bumped up and beat Craighton in the team dual championship final. Jason also went on to win 2 national titles at NIC.

Last edited:
@AllHeart28 I definitely understand, he dismantled Molinaro in the Beast finals his junior year. Although that was years ago, Molinaro just won the Olympic trials this past year!

Meade was on Dream Team and ranked top 5 in nation every year in high school except freshmen year. Also 2 time beast champ. Would wrestle Andrew Howe (3 time NCAA finalist and NCAA champ) in Junior Worlds and barley lose. Also as DE sportzfan stated he majored Molinaro in Beast final who was Olympic 65kg for USA and two time NCAA champ. He also beat Nick Marable as a freshmen at Okie State. Nick Marable was two time NCAA finalist and also the first to ever beat Burroghs in freestyle. Meade was ranked 7th in nation as true freshmen most of the year at Okie State, but went 2 and 2 in NCAA. After that year he had some personal issues, wrestled for WVU for a year but wasn't himself....then quit the sport.

Reactions: DESportzFan13
Another two who could be for discussion is Jordan Sianni (4 time finalist, 3 the champ, ranked 4th in nation as Senior, placed 5th, 5th, 5th, and 2nd at Beast, 172/career wins which is most all time in DE for 4 years). Also Andrew Donofrio (4 time state cchamp, ranked 3rd in nation, took 2nd at Beast of East 3 times only losing to Zach Esposito who eventually wrestled for Okie State and I believe was two time NCAA Champ)

Reactions: ravensrooster2
Yeah he was cutting ridiculous amount of weight. Wrestled 140, 145, and 152 in high school but was cutting and wrestling at 141 I believe most of his collegiate career...maybe went 149 but just one year. Dude was cutting almost 30 pounds

Another wrestler who is now a good coach that no one talks about too much is Mike Welch. He was a three time finalist and two time state champ. He lost in finals to Andrew Donofrio I believe by a last second takedown. He also placed at Beast twice. Ranked top 15 nationally and also placed 2nd at Senior Nationals losing by a point in the finals

Reactions: ravensrooster2
They keep coming to me lol.....Tommy Abbott was a beast too. 4 time placer...I believe 4th, 3rd, 1st, 1st. Also ranked top 15 nationally and placed 2nd at Beast. Also a Division 2 National Champ as a sophomore! and placed 4th as a true freshmen. Had to stop wrestling to take care of his child. Very good father...must take after his old man :)

Reactions: spartakos
@RR
Elite wrestlers get a discount at Crossroads!
just saying of course

Lol sparatkos. I was good but I wasn't on the level of those elite guys. They were a notch above me. Maybe if I wrestled all year round. Would a should a could a. Merry Christmas to everyone.

Another name people don't talk about is Jamelle Jones! Jamelle, Meade, Tommy Abbott, Connor McDonald, Ian Moser, Chris Diaz all around the same time

All great names. We developed an all star team one year and kicked ass at Del State. I believe this was our lineup.....
103 conor McDonald
112 ian Moser
119 a Meade
125 Jeremy shaw
130 Nate fleming
135 Andrew riley
140 matt cathell
145 Andrew Bradley
152 myself..nick Dominelli
160 Andrew bokinski
171 aj Edwards
189 kammail alghanee
215 kenxerski?
HWT Kenny Zell or an brooks

Reactions: concord87
That's a sick lineup, I remember when Connor McDonald and Ian Moser wrestled in the conference and state finals. Great matches, wish we had nside and all these videos back then.

@AllHeart28 Either that year or I think it was the next, I'll never forget Cathell wrestled a stud from Florida and abused the kid. The coach from FL asked if they could wrestle again after the dual because his kid was frustrated and got "caught". Matt wrestled him again and did the same exact thing to him. Was so fun coaching those teams back then!

Lol yeah Cathell was the definition of on orthodox wrestler. If you saw him on the street you'd think you could kick his ass lol. But Matt was a bad dude. He was always ranked top 15 in the nation in College but could never crack the podium. Luke Rebertus was the same way as he was ranked top 15 every year at Navy but never cracked the podium when I thought he would. I wrestled PA, NJ, FL, CO, and other state champs and nationally ranked wrestlers and IMO Luke Rebertus was the best wrestler I ever wwrestled. He beat me 8 to 2 . I think Luke may have the career wins record at Navy. I think he also was a two time placer at Beast taking 2nd his senior year. He barely lost to a kid who was a NCAA champ that went to Penn State. His name escapes me though...tall lanky kid

So back to the original question. And this is very hard to do as all of you understand ;
1. Alex Meade
2. Jordan Sianni
3. Andrew Donofrio
4. Bobby Telford
5. Pat Atkinson
6. Codey Combs
7 Janelle Jones
8. Nick Schenk
9. Luke Rebertus
10. Brett Fleetwood
11. Conor McDonald
12. Tommy Abbott
13.Ian Moser
14. Sean Dolan
15. Mike Welch
16. Matt Cathell
17. Brian Willis
18. Andrew Bradley
19. Chris Diaz
20. Mike Miller

I did from 2000 and after so if they graduated before 2000 then they were not included on the list. I know there are many others that can be considered on this list. I did my best ranking them! And this is JUST based off what they did and accomplished in high school. The list would he totally different if we included college.

Yes Cathell was unorthodox with how he wrestled. He would stand straight up in neutral and do the most funky moves I've ever seen. I never had the privledge of wrestling him but I did have the privledge watching him. You would have had to watch him wrestle to understand what I mean when I say unorthodox. And believe me I do not mean that word negatively at all: it is just the type of wrestler he was which was not the traditional style.

I'm more of the late 80's through the mid 90's era. Don't know enough names to make a list of the past 10 years. Just saw Hight wrestle a few times and thought he was great talent.

And my list was based upon strength of competition within the state. That's why most of my choices are between 2000 to 2009. Those days had full freshmen, JV, and Varsity lineups. Those days also had 10 to 15 placers in Beast every year with Two or three guys making it to the finals. Also would have ten to fifteen wrestlers go division 1 on scholarships. After 2009ish it has went down quite a bit. That is not knocking any of the wrestlers after 2009, because Delaware still produces some quality wrestlers. It is just the days of having a few nationally ranked guys in each weight class is not there anymore.

I saw hight wrestle as well and was impressed. He could be a top 20 IMO but not a top 10. Too many other guys with the same amount or more state titles who placed higher in Beast and who had a higher national ranking.

So back to the original question. And this is very hard to do as all of you understand ;
1. Alex Meade
2. Jordan Sianni
3. Andrew Donofrio
4. Bobby Telford
5. Pat Atkinson
6. Codey Combs
7 Janelle Jones
8. Nick Schenk
9. Luke Rebertus
10. Brett Fleetwood
11. Conor McDonald
12. Tommy Abbott
13.Ian Moser
14. Sean Dolan
15. Mike Welch
16. Matt Cathell
17. Brian Willis
18. Andrew Bradley
19. Chris Diaz
20. Mike Miller

I did from 2000 and after so if they graduated before 2000 then they were not included on the list. I know there are many others that can be considered on this list. I did my best ranking them! And this is JUST based off what they did and accomplished in high school. The list would he totally different if we included college.
What about Ott from Cape at 220 He was tough

a oldie but goodie, Jay Matheus
definitely a athlete..
would of loved to see Jay and Micah at the next level!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT