From PerfectGame.org. Are there others?

2013 Tyler Aiken, Sussex Central, Campbell
2013 Jake Fraley, Caravel, LSU
2013 Alec Hoeschel, Charter, Yale
2013 Garrett Hudson, Sussex Central, VA Tech
2013 Kyle Mace, Dover, Del State
2013 Diaz Nardo, Cape, UD
2013 Tyler Williams, Caravel, Del State

Congratulations men, and best of luck to all.

Congrats to all listed, but Jake Fraley, LSU? Big time ball there!!

This post was edited on 10/17 11:29 AM by 8yaz

Perfect Game graded Fraley a 10.0 at their 2012 National Showcase in Minneapolis ("Potential very high draft pick and/or Elite level college prospect").

It can be difficult to appreciate just how good some of these kids are if you haven't seen them play with and against other elite ballplayers.

Been hearing for a while now Jake should go high in the draft

What I find very interesting all these players have already committed are excellent players and are clearly good enough for large out of state programs to find them and recruit them .

These are some quality D-1 programs so how in the world were over half of these players listed not selected to All State? Only two of the nine listed were selected by Delaware coaches to All State.

Congrats to all these young men and their families I know they all have worked hard and deserve it.

This post was edited on 10/20 9:32 AM by Gophils123

This post was edited on 10/20 9:34 AM by Gophils123

Probably because it was what the other players did on the field during the 18 game HS season and not what they did during the summer playing in showcases and travel ball.

It also shows that the selection process for All state in all the sports is very questionable at times. But i do agree with Delpsufan that All State should be based on their performance during the high school season in Delaware.

But colleges are paying attention to kids at showcases during the summer. Its easier for a kid to standout in high school, where the kid may be the only top notch quality kid on the team versus questionable competion. But at showcases, the playing field is very level...top pitchers going against top hitters and vice versa.

I agree many of the names listed shined in showcases vs top competition. Others who play well during the 18 game high school season would may not do as well against the top competition these guys played against in summer and showcase ball.

I still can not believe they were less deserving of All State honors by having a unproductive high school season. Most were doing showcases at the same time or directly after the high school season ended. These kids were hands down some of the best players in the state last year. Maybe some fell victim too the fact that if they did not make first team All Conference and were not eligible for All State. Not sure why we have this rule in place cause you could have two or three of the best players in one position in the same conference. Maybe some did not have the same inflated stats as some players had facing lesser teams/pitchers. I seen the past two summers on Legion and summer/showcase teams several of the kids that were chosen for All State were playing behind All Conference players or players with no recognition from the high school season. One three time all state player received very little playing time on his team.

Updated list of 2013 college commitments after NLI day.

2013 Brady Cotler, Sallies, Washington Coll
2013 Zach Flowers, Sallies, Tulane
2013 Grant Lamberton, Sallies, Monmouth
2013 Donovan May, Tatnall, Villanova
2013 Kevin Trader, Delmar, Chipola

This post was edited on 11/15 4:04 PM by TouchThemAll

The simple answer to some of these kids not being recognized is politics. There are so many alliances amongst HS coaches that many deserving players get left off the list. In addition, local publications are so slighted in their coverage and hype.

I'm excited for these kids that they are finally getting the recognition they deserve as a result from their performance in travel ball / showcases and in the end when you consider the astronomical odds of making it to the show the majority of them will be better off getting a college education.

Congratulations to all of the well deserving players!

2013 Austin Niggebrugge,Caravel- University of Delaware

This post was edited on 11/15 9:33 PM by Gophils123

Thanks Gophils123, I saw that but Perfect Game has Austin listed as a 2014. Are there two?
smile.r191677.gif

TouchThemall.......Austin travel team Delaware Warriors has him listed as a 2013 and I thought he was a senior. I could be wrong would not be the first time.

Been talking to a few friends and famalies of other 2013 players, seems there is few other Northern 2013 kids that are very close to committing to schools.

Some pretty good talent in this 2013 graduating class around the state

This post was edited on 11/16 1:09 PM by Gophils123

This post was edited on 11/16 2:18 PM by Gophils123

I agree about the boys playing travel ball and going to the showcases during the summer......the level of talent they play against is higher than that of high school. I know there are several players that are being followed by a number of D-1 colleges and they didn't make All Conference or All State this past year. I am really happy to see this list of college commitments. They are all good players.

That list of commitments is a tell tale indicator at just how much things have changed. As was said, only a couple of these players made all state. Does that mean that the ones who did were more deserving? I'd say definitely not. Doesn't mean that those who were selected as all conference and all state were not deserving either but there is usually a line drawn there as far as the direction that many parents, players and coaches tend to be content to remain at or proceed from. Players, parents and coaches who decide to compete at the levels we see in showcase ball know full well that if they are to get out there and really demonstrate their worth and become evaluated by those who actually know how to do it then they had better get moving. It's good to see that they are too. I'd say that most of the boys who have committed have been playing in their community leagues since they were six or so whereas many high schoolers don't even pick up a glove until they reach high school. Again, it's rather easy to shine among this. Of course, community leagues are now playing tournament ball all summer, fall and even early winter now too. And even they are playing showcase style tournaments starting at 10 and 12. That's very important to consider because this lifestyle comes before and follows throughout , during and even after high school. I think therein lies the difference but it's just my opinion.

I'd be curious to see a list of past all state selections who have committed compared to those who have not been selected and have commited.

This post was edited on 12/23 7:08 AM by See ya ball

Adding DeVante Parker. Is this the complete list of 2013s?

2013 William Bayco, Sussex Tech, Del State
2013 Aaron Briggs, CR, UD
2013 Brady Cotler, Sallies, Washington College
2013 Austin Niggebrugge, Caravel, UD
2013 DeVante Parker, Appo, Lincoln
2013 Connor Stevens, Appo, Wilmington Univ

I have not been able to confirm this one, but have heard 2013 Pete Grasso, A.I. Dupont, Salisbury

also rumor mill has marvel from tech transferring to salis--he is no longer on st joe website

Here are some other recent transfers. These are listed on the 2013 UD roster:

Taylor Mahoney (St. Mark's 2010) was at St. Joe's as a freshman; now listed as a red-shirt sophomore at UD.

Zach Lopes (Sallies 2010) was at Coastal. He's also listed as a red-shirt sophomore on the 2013 UD roster.

Cameron Travalini (IR 2009) transferred to UD from DIII Roanoke College last year.

Always fun to see Delaware kids playing at Bob Hannah Stadium.

NLI Day: adding Dan Galati

2013 Dan Galati, St. E's, Del State
2013 Austin Niggebrugge, Caravel, UD
2013 DeVante Parker, Appo, Lincoln
2013 Connor Stevens, Appo, Wilmington Univ

I was told Austin is a Preferred walk on. Which means he has a roster spot, but no scholarship moneys at this time. This is pretty common for college baseball D-1 & D-2. D-3 does not give athletic scholarships it is often hidden in academic money (most of this money comes from endowments). Universities have limited budgets for scholarships for baseball and majority of kids get very little athletic money. Players are very often recruited and offered a spot as a preferred walk. If they play well money can be given money later if any is left or next season. Scholarships are year to year now.
This post was edited on 3/25 3:16 PM by Gophils123

CA, just FYI. Baseball programs generally do not offer full scholarships. They can only offer 11.7 total, and those are usually spread out over 30 some odd players.

This post was edited on 3/25 6:40 PM by Sportsmrty7

And to add to the previous two posts, those 11.7 scholarships (if the program is fully funded, which I assume Delaware is) can be spread out over a maximum of 27 players with each one getting a .25 minimum. The D1 roster limit is 35, so you have several getting no baseball money. It is very rare for a player to get a full ride strictly with baseball money unless you're an absolute stud. The balance can be made up of academic money though as long as the player is being held to the same academic standards as the other non-athlete students getting academic monies. Generally, only the revenue sports of football and basketball offer full scholarships.

End of season updates to the list of 2013 commits. Please let us know if there are any others.

2013 Dan Galati, St. E's, Del State
2013 Brock Long, St. Mark's, UMES