ADVERTISEMENT

Delmar vs S Tech

I'll give you a breakdown after the Sussex Tech game. Tough to tell from the scrimmages and the first game (not stellar competition)as all the pieces haven't been in place yet. Should be improved as their best players are all juniors and a year older.

This post was edited on 3/26 9:50 AM by DelmarMD

Not much of a breakdown DelmarMD..I got to see part of the game..Thought Delmar had some spurts..Looked like they played some real Lax and other times they played like football thugs.. Most surprising was the lack of class Tech displayed . There JV team set behind the Delmar bench and used profane language to the point I moved to the other side of the field..No place for that !!

The strength of the Delmar team is the defense. It starts with a pretty good goalie who was honorable mention all-conference last year as a sophomore (15 saves yesterday). They are very deep at long pole defense, with a lot of guys who can play pretty good defense. The defense also has some of the best stick skills and lacrosse IQ on the team. The midfield has the least depth and isn't the team's strong point. At attack, they return a second team all-conference junior who can really shoot the ball. It is my understanding that the coach has recently taken two of his starting defenders and rotated them into the offense at attack and midfield (both have scored a couple of goals so far this season). This move has helped the offense, and the offense should continue to improve as the season goes on. Yesterday was also the first action that their best attackman has seen this season, so the offense really hasn't had time to gel yet. Even with that, it seemed as if Delmar could have scored 16 goals yesterday if they clean some things up offensively. It was a big win for the Cats as they have never beaten Sussex Tech before yesterday.

I agree that Delmar needs to focus on the ball during ground ball situations and not the big hit. I think at least one time yesterday and maybe more than once, a Delmar player ran right by the ball on the ground in order to hit someone. The Wildcats could have their best season yet if they cut back on the penalties, focus on ground balls, and make better passes on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT