4. St. Mark’s 2-1

5. Sussex Tech 2-1

DII

1. Caravel 2-1

2. Hodgson 2-1

3. St. Georges 3-0

4. Lake Forest 3-0

5. DMA 3-0

Laurel 2-1 at DMA 3-0 (game being played at McKean High School)

Laurel might be the most improved team in the state so far this season and they have been tested more than DMA. They dropped their opener to St. Georges 50-27 in a game that they only trailed 24-21 at the half. They defeated St. Elizabeth 35-0 and then beat Smyrna last week 57-42. The Laurel defense is giving up just over 30 pts per game this season. Bottom line is they need to play better defensively to defeat DMA this week. The Bulldogs are led offensively by a pair of seniors; Chucky Auguste, who had 273 yards rushing vs. Smyrna and Reggie Green 162 yards rushing vs. Smyrna. They both have 7 TD’s each on the season. Auguste was a 1st team all-conference RB last season and Green was a 1st team all-conference DB last year for Laurel. DMA and new Head Coach Mike Ryan have enjoyed early success this season starting out 3-0. They defeated Tower Hill 34-14 last Friday night and have previous wins over Dickinson and Milford beating both of those teams 28-0. The Seahawks are led by QB Jake Hudson who has rushed for 4 TD’s and thrown for 3 TD’s in 3 games. Defensively DMA has only allowed 14 points all season and are led by LB Juwan Morrow. DMA defeated Laurel 40-17 last season. Laurel looks to be a contender for the Henlopen South title and are vastly improved from last season which they finished 2-8. If they can hold up defensively I think they have a few more playmakers on offense and will defeat DMA in a key DII non-conference match up.

Laurel 21 DMA 14

Cape Henlopen 3-0 at Caesar Rodney 0-3

Cape Henlopen is off to a 3-0 start this season but they haven’t been tested at all. They have outscored their opponents 131-7 with their latest win being a 43-7 win at Indian River last week. Cape Henlopen is led offensively by the backfield tandem of Ja’von Currie 4 TD’s and 225lb FB William Gibbs 5 TD’s this season. The Cape defense has only allowed only 7 points this season and they have scored 2 defensive TD’s. A young Caesar Rodney team has struggled this season against a very tough early season schedule. The Riders are working on replacing 29 seniors from last season’s State semi-final team. They have early season losses to Salesianum 28-7, Middletown 17-7 and last week to DII power Hodgson 34-6. CR defeated Cape 35-14 last year to break Cape’s 2 game winning streak in the series. CR has struggled to score points so far this season and their defense has done a decent job at keeping them in the game. They only trailed 12-6 at the half to Hodgson and 7-0 to Middletown. I think they can hang around in this game and look for them to really give Cape their 1st real test.

Cape Henlopen 26 Caesar Rodney 16

St. Mark’s 2-1 at Dover 1-2

St. Mark’s has rebounded nicely from their opening season loss to #1 William Penn with 2 straight victories over Henlopen North teams. Last week they defeated Sussex Central 28-0 a week after their slim 35-34 win over Sussex Tech. This week they face another Henlopen North foe in Dover, a team that defeated the Spartans twice last year ending St. Mark’s season 28-24 in the 1st round of the playoffs. St. Mark’s RB Rhett Schweizer has 5 rushing TD’s in the mini 2 game win streak for the Spartans. The Spartan defense rebounded from a poor showing against Sussex Tech, over 300 yards rushing allowed, and pitched a shutout against Sussex Central last Friday night while limiting Sussex Central to just 163 total yards. Markquise Normand has 171 yards rushing and 2 TD’s over the last 2 weeks for St. Mark’s. Dover has dropped back to back games after defeating Urbana MD 35-28 to open the season. Last week they lost to undefeated Mt. Saint Joseph (4-0) by a score of 35-20. Dover lost their only in state contest of the season to Concord 41-14 two weeks ago. Dover will need a strong performance this week from Jr. QB Triston Harris who has passed for over 200 yards in 2 of Dover’s 3 games. Against Urbana MD he passed for 275 yards and 2 TD and he had 212 yards passing against Concord. RB Devlin Locklin rushed for 124 yards against Mt. Saint Joseph last week for the Senators which included a 55 yard TD run. St. Mark’s seems to be headed in the right direction while Dover is struggling to put things together. The Spartans win another game against the Henlopen North.

St. Mark’s 28 Dover 21

Glasgow 1-2 at Middletown 3-0

Middletown has proven to still be a strong team and a team that deserves to be mentioned in the Division I top 5. The Cavaliers have started this season 3-0 with wins against Concord, Caesar Rodney and last week over Charter. Middletown likes to spread things around this year but leading the way offensively are RB Frank Datillo and RB Lasanna Brew both having 3 scores on the season. QB Vinny Delpercio has 2 passing TD’s on the year including an 81 yard TD strike to Isiah Mitchell last week against Charter. Defensively the Cavaliers are very solid limiting opponents to just over 10 pts per game so far this year. This is not a very flashy Middletown team with lots of star power but they are a very good team nonetheless. This week they face rival Glasgow who is struggling so far this year at 1-2. The Dragons defeated Smyrna on opening night but have dropped back to back games against Appo and Newark. If the Dragons want to stay in the Flight A race they must pull an upset this weekend at Middletown. Since 2004 Middletown is 8-0 against Glasgow. The Dragon offense has struggled this year only topping 20 pts once and that was opening night against Smyrna. They were shutout by Newark last week in a game where Glasgow committed 6 turnovers. On a good note the Glasgow defense held Newark to 208 total yards. Middletown continues its dominance in this series.

Middletown 30 Glasgow 8

St. Georges 3-0 at Hodgson 2-1 ****GAME OF THE WEEK****

This game is most likely going to determine who wins Flight B this season with Hodgson and St. Georges squaring off on Saturday morning. The game is a rematch of the DII State Championship game from last year in which Hodgson drubbed St. Georges 38-0. Hodgson is coming off an impressive win over Caesar Rodney 34-6 in which star QB/DB Raymond Jones had a huge night. The senior ran for 124 yards and three touchdowns on 17 carries while completing 10-of-20 passes for 167 yards and another TD. He also is a kick returner and can kick off while playing a major factor on defense as well. Hodgson defeated Mount Pleasant the previous week 48-14 but was defeated by Caravel 39-8 on opening night. St. Georges has started the season 3-0 with wins over Laurel 50-27, Christiana 53-12 and Mount Pleasant 41-14. The Selby twins lead the way for St. Georges. Taronn Selby has 8 TD’s this season, 6 rushing and 2 Kickoff returns, and 363 rushing yards. Keyjuan Selby has 3 TD’s including a 96 yard interception return last week against Mount Pleasant. QB Tordell Kemp has thrown for 2 TD’s. Hodgson leads the series 4-2 and won last year’s regular season game 24-21. St. Georges has a record of 35-4 in the regular season since 2010. 2 of the 4 losses have come to Hodgson. The Selby twins will make it difficult for Hodgson but I think a more battle tested Silver Eagle team will win this one.

Hodgson 29 St. Georges 18

Hodgson vs. St. Georges series

2013 Hodgson 38-0 State Championship game

2013 Hodgson 24-21

2012 St. Georges 28-19

2011 Hodgson 16-6

2010 St. Georges 20-14

2009 Hodgson 49-0

Other games

Newark 28 Delcastle 14….If Newark can put together a complete game they are tough to beat. Nice win for Delcastle over Appo

William Penn 48 Appo 6…..No problem for the Colonials; and have Newark up next

Lake Forest 21 Delmar 12….Henlopen South is going to be crazy but I’m leaning towards Lake in this one

Indian River 31 Milford 7….IR needs to get going and rebounds from Cape loss

Sussex Tech 27 Sussex Central 14…….Tech might be the best in Henlopen North

Concord 35 Charter 14…….Concord coming off loss to Sallies should roll

Howard 26 Mount Pleasant 17……Howard needs win with Hodgson, St. Georges and Smyrna on deck

Tower Hill 27 Tatnall 15…….Hillers loss to DMA might cost them a shot at the post season but they should handle rival Tatnall

AI DuPont 35 St. Elizabeth 7…..AI off to a slow start but St. E is young and rebuilding

Brandywine 40 McKean 6…… Brandywine should be in foul mood after OT loss to Lake

Last week: 12-3

Season: 29-11

This post was edited on 9/22 4:37 PM by fanoffootball123

This post was edited on 9/22 4:40 PM by fanoffootball123

I don't know enough about Glen Mills to really make a pick. I try to stay away from picking games with out of state teams that I don't know much about. I don't think glen mills is very good this year.

agreed on out of state games, Glen Mills was in the same spot last yr, looked bad, then ran off seven in a row and made the semi's, they usually get better as the season goes and the kids get to know each other, current Ravens running back Bernard Pierce is a grad

I like these picks showing Newark, Indian River, and Concord some love not sure about Cape and St. George's picks thou but everything else I think spot on!

I could see CR beating Cape but I just feel CR is really young and struggling especially on offense. That will be an interesting game especially the 1st half to see just how good Cape is.

St. Georges is very good but I'm not picking against Hodgson. I think Hodgson and Caravel could play with anyone in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT