5. Sussex Tech 5-1

DII

1. St. Georges 6-0

2. Caravel 4-2

3. Lake Forest 6-0

4. Laurel 5-1

5. Archmere 4-2

Archmere 4-2 at Conrad 5-1[/B]

After 5 losing seasons Conrad is on the verge of their first winning campaign since resuming play at the varsity high school level. This week they will face their most difficult test of the season when they host Archmere on Saturday afternoon. The Conrad offense is averaging 43 points per game behind the running of Titus Nelson and QB Dayne Llamas. Nelson has five 100 yard rushing performances and has scored 14 TD's. QB Dayne Llamas has rushed for 7 Td's and passed for another 5 on the season. Conrad has scored at least 28 points in every game this season. Conrad's 5 wins this season have come against opponents with a combined record of 3-24 which includes 3 wins against winless teams. Their lone loss was to Dickinson 30-28 in OT. With a team that only consists of 6 seniors the future is bright for Conrad and this week they will be out to prove how good they are against a talented Archmere team. Archmere defeated Conrad 54-2 last season and has defeated Conrad in all three of their meetings by an average of 40 points. Archmere needed a last second TD pass from Chris Dewees to Ben Revak to defeat visiting Appo 20-16 last Saturday. It was the the 2nd TD catch of the game for Revak. QB Chris Dewees led the Auks on the game winning drive in his first game action since week 1. JM Nocket had been leading the Auks in his absence and passed for 178 yards and 1 TD on Saturday. The previous week versus Caravel Nocket returned the opening kickoff 90 yards for a TD and also passed for 149 yards and 1 TD. Caravel defeated Archmere 23-13 in a game that the Auks led 13-3 at halftime. The win against Appo improved Archmere to 4-2 this year and they gained 6 important playoff points by defeating a DI team. In what is probably the biggest game since Conrad's return to varsity high school football expect the Redskins to come out ready to play and prove that they belong as a legit playoff contender. Archmere won't overlook them though and with Lake Forest and DMA up next this is a very important game for the Auks as well. Conrad is definitely on the right track but I'm going with Archmere.

Archmere 28 Conrad 14[/I]

[/I]

[/I]

Laurel 5-1 (2-0 Henlopen South) at Lake Forest 6-0 (3-0 Henlopen South)[/B]

A Huge battle for the Henlopen South takes place this weekend when Laurel visits Lake Forest on Lake's homecoming. Both teams enter the game undefeated in the conference and Laurel's only loss came to DII power St. Georges. Lake Forest overcame some sloppy play last week to defeat Woodbridge 41-28. Lake led the game 21-0 in the 1st half but 2 fumbles in the 3rd quarter led to 2 Woodbridge TD's and a tie game at 21-21. The Spartans sealed the game in the 4th quarter with TD runs by John Flamer, who had 3 TD's in the game, and RB D.J Cornish. Lake was able to move the ball consistently all night long while only attempting only 1 pass which was a completion by QB Noah Feague-Johnson to Cornish on the first play of the 4th quarter and the Spartans facing a 4th down situation in Woodbridge territory. After that conversion Lake went on to score 21 4th quarter points. The Lake offense has scored 41 points in back to back games and the defense has been strong for the most part. The Lake defense allowed 28 points to Woodbridge but it was set up by turnovers and the last Woodbridge score came very late in the game. The Spartans defense is only allowing 13 points per game. Laurel outscored Indian River 27-0 in the 2nd half of their game last Friday night and defeated IR 47-20. Laurel overcame an early 13-0 deficit and a very good effort from Indian River in the win. RB Chucky Auguste had 3 rushing TD's and Reggie Green had 2 to lead the Bulldogs. Laurel might be the most improved team from last season when they finished 2-8. Auguste and Green are a great combination in the backfield for a team averaging 34 points per game. The Bulldogs have struggled on defense at times though. They allowed 20 1st half points last week to Indian River and struggled against Smyrna allowing 42 points. This should be a great game but the Lake defense and the homecoming crowd should make the difference. Lake has a 2 game winning streak against Laurel which includes last year's 14-0 shutout win.

Lake Forest 22 Laurel 16[/I]

[/I]

[/I]

Concord 4-2 (3-1 Flight A) at William Penn 6-0 (4-0 Flight A)[/B]

Some people were questioning what William Penn would do when faced with adversity. Last week they were outgained and tied at 7-7 in the 1st half at Middletown. Then the Colonials responded by outscoring Middletown 14-0 in the 2nd half to keep their undefeated season alive. Reggie Carroll scored 2 TD's and rushed for 130 yards in the win. Marvell Watts scored the other William Penn TD on a 12 yard TD run in the 3rd quarter. Middletown did have 2 scores nullified by penalties in the 2nd half but for the most part struggled to move the ball against the William Penn defense. William Penn harassed Middletown QB Vinnie Delpercio and sacked him 5 times and intercepted him once. The emergence of RB Marvell Watts makes the Colonials very tough to defend. The combination of Carroll and Watts is enough by itself to give most defenses fits. Concord has a 3 game winning streak going and has outscored their opponents 131-22 over that span. Those wins though have come against Charter, Delcastle and Glasgow. Brycen Alleyne leads the way for the Raiders ground game. Alleyne rushed for 131 yards and 2 TD's against Delcastle last week. He also returned a kickoff for a TD for the 2nd time this season. On the season Alleyne has 12 total TD's which include 9 rushing TD's, 2 Kickoff return for TD's and 1 interception return for a TD. The key for this game will be the Concord defense which has been very good at times this season. Concord has shutout their last 2 opponents, held Salesianum scoreless for a half, and limited a very good Dover offense to just 14 points. I think you will see a very focused effort from what should be a confident Concord team right now. I just think Coach Dooley has William Penn playing way too well right now and being the 1st night game at Bill Cole Stadium should prevent any letdown the Colonials might have because of their big win last week at Middletown. Close game in the 1st half but the Colonials pull away in the 2nd. William Penn defeated Concord 21-14 last year. Concord's last win against William Penn was in 2010 when they beat the Colonials 21-0.

William Penn 28 Concord 14[/I]

St. Mark's 4-2 at Salesianum 4-2 ****Game of the Week****[/B]

The Holy war continues. The best rivalry in high school football continues this Friday night when St. Mark's visits Salesianum at Baynard Stadium. Both teams enter with identical records and both teams need more wins to bolster their playoff hopes. St. Mark's lost last week to New Jersey power Montclair 64-35. St. Mark's allowed 530 yards rushing to Montclair which included 330 yards by QB Elijah Robinson who is headed to Boston College next year. The good news from last week for the Spartans though came in the return of QB Matt Williams who completed 21-of-33 passes for 328 yards and five touchdowns. It was the 1st game action of the season for Williams and he played very well against a very tough opponent. Before last week St. Mark's had won 4 games in a row since their opening season defeat at William Penn. The top receiving target for the Spartans this year has been Dalton Ziemba who has 4 TD receptions on the season. Rhett Schweizer leads the way in the backfield with 10 Total TD and he is joined by Markquise Normand 4 TD. Jamai Rice has 4 scores on the season for the Spartans. The Spartan defense is allowing 25 points per game this year but most of the damage is due to 3 games. They allowed 34 to Sussex Tech, 28 to Dover and 64 to Montclair NJ. Both Sussex Tech and Montclair had good numbers rushing against the Spartans. Sussex Tech had over 300 yards on the ground and Montclair piled up 530 yards rushing. The Spartan defense must tighten up against Sallies in order to win the game. Salesianum is 4-2 so far this season with the defending state champions losing to William Penn and Poly Prep (Brooklyn NY). The Sals have done a good job at replacing the majority of their starters from last season's championship team. QB Garrett Cannon has been very efficient at throwing the football and has 8 TD passes on the year. Last week against Martin Luther King (PA) he completed 8 out of 9 passes for 155 yards and 3 TD's. His favorite target is Jake Sherlock who has hauled in 4 TD's this season. The Sals have a trio of running backs that they can use which includes: Michael Sanzone 6 TD's, Colby Reeder 5 TD's and Evander Blue 2 TD's on the season. Reeder had 145 yards rushing and 2 TD's last week and Sanzone had 2 TD's in the win at MLK. The Salesianum defense is holding opponents to 16 points per game and with the exception of the game against Poly Prep they have played well. Caesar Rodney in week 1 was able to rush for more than 250 yards but the Sals were able to hold them to just 7 points. The defense only allowed 1 offensive TD to William Penn with the other score for the Colonials coming on a kickoff return. These teams have a lot of similarities. Both teams are 4-2, they both lost to William Penn, they both got beat soundly by out of state opponents, and they have struggled at times stopping teams running the ball. Both teams have experienced front lines and multiple weapons on offense. QB Matt Williams returning for St. Mark's could be the difference. St. Mark's hasn't defeated the Sals since 2011 when they won the game 28-17. This game has all the makings of a classic. Two very evenly matched teams and rivals squaring off on a Friday night most likely in front of a packed house at Baynard Stadium. I'm going with Sallies but it's going to be a close game.

Salesianum 23 St. Mark's 20[/I]

[/I]

[/I]

St. Mark's vs. Sallies (recent history)[/B]

2013 Sallies 21-0

2012 Sallies 20-14 (semifinals)

2012 Sallies 7-2

2011 St. Mark's 28-17

2010 St. Mark's 28-14

2010 St. Mark's 24-10 (semifinals)

2009 Sallies 28-9

2009 Sallies 27-20 (state finals)

2008 Sallies 15-13

2007 St. Mark's 21-20

2006 Sallies 20-7

2006 Sallies 14-0 (semifinals)

Other games[/B]

[/B]

Middletown 36 AI DuPont 20[/I][/B]…. Middletown still looks good for a playoff spot and won't slip up in this one

Newark 27 Appo 7[/B]….. Newark needs a win with Hodgson, Middletown and Concord left on the schedule

St. Georges 38 Dickinson 12[/B]….. St. Georges rolls

Caravel 35 Glasgow 7[/B]….. Welcome to DII Glasgow

Cape Henlopen 35 Polytech 21[/B]…… Cape wins and has Sussex Tech up next

Woodbridge 28 Indian River 16[/B]….. Woodbridge has a slim chance of making the playoffs and they most likely need to run the table

Dover 33 Sussex Central 25…..[/B] Both of these teams are 1-5 but Dover can be explosive

Sussex Tech 30 Caesar Rodney 20[/B]….. CR has won 2 straight so Sussex Tech better take them seriously especially with Cape on deck

Hodgson 31 Brandywine 19[/B]….. Hodgson can still make the playoffs but they better be prepared for a spirited effort from Brandywine

Delcastle 20 Charter 18….[/B] Neither one of these teams has played well lately but someone has to win…….or lose

Smyrna 28 Howard 20[/B]….. Smyrna can score points but Howard has a good defense; interesting matchup

Mt. Pleasant 29 Delmar 12[/B]….. Mount needs this one and has some very winnable games leading up to regular season ending matchup with Caravel

DMA 24 St. Elizabeth 8[/B]….. St. Elizabeth is improving but will struggle to score points on a very good DMA defense

Last week: 16-1

Season: 71-17

fan-nice work as always. I think the breakdown of your GOTW is well thought out and good write up. I have Sals pulling it out by 7-10 points. Besides all the points you made I believe this game will decided on a few very key aspects:

Line of scrimmage- and this is huge because Salesianum likes to run and St Marks needs to figure out a way to stop the bleeding. On Defense-both sides will need to get after the QB or risk getting picked apart. LB play- Sals LB's are playing better right now and Spartans moved a very good LB to DE and that takes him totally out of plays goin' the other way. Not to mention that LB's are key to providing run support.Special Teams-look for something to happen (missed kick/td etc)Coaching-which staff adapts and changes schemes quicker when needed? Time Management.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT