ADVERTISEMENT

Final D2 Playoff Projections Week 10

Titanium Shadow

Good all around Player
Oct 5, 2018
This will be the last one of these as after this week’s games we will know the final results. This week’s analysis will be a little more detailed as there are fewer permutations.

Nothing changed from last week except (unsurprisingly) the Opponent Wins (although it didn't change any seedings) and we now know the result of the Caravel/DMA game.

Assuming every team wins the games they are favored to win by looking at MaxPreps and Massey ratings (a big if), the final D2 playoff seeding will be as shown below. These are only the most likely seedings. There are still a broad range of possible outcomes for seedings, with only Woodbridge, Tower Hill, Howard and Delmar being guaranteed to make the playoffs.

Place | Team | Points/Game | Final Record | Final Points | Bonus Points | Total Points | Opponent Wins |

1. Woodbridge | 4.9 | 10-0 | 44 | 5 | 49 | 51 |

2. Tower Hill | 4.22 | 8-1 | 36 | 2 | 38 | 30 |

3. Howard | 4.2 | 9-1 | 39 | 3 | 42 | 43 |

4. Delmar | 4.0 | 7-3 | 33 | 7 | 40 | 56 |

5. Archmere | 4.0 | 8-2 | 36 | 4 | 40 | 47 |

6. Caravel | 4.0 | 8-2 | 37 | 3 | 40 | 46 |

7. Lake Forest | 4.0 | 8-2 | 36 | 4 | 40 | 41 |

8. Friends | 3.89 | 7-2 | 28 | 7 | 35 | 58 |

9. A.I. DuPont | 3.7 | 8-2 | 34 | 3 | 37 | 36 |

10. DMA | 3.6 | 7-3 | 33 | 3 | 36 | 46 |

Win/Loss Assumptions:

1. Woodbridge: Beats Delmar

2. Tower Hill: Loses to Friends

3. Howard: Beats Glasgow

4. Delmar: Loses to Woodbridge

5: Archmere: Beats First State Mil

6. Caravel: Beats St Elizabeth

7. Lake: Beats Milford

8. Friends: Beats Tower Hill

9. AI: Beats McKean

10. DMA: Beats Conrad

Bonus point assumptions – Certain|Projected (Opponent):

1. Woodbridge: 4|5 - Caravel 1|1, Friends 0|1 (Tower Hill), Archmere 1|1, Lake 1|1, Delmar 1|1

2. Tower Hill: 0|2 - Friends 0|1 (Tower Hill), Red Lion 0|1 (Charter)

3. Howard: 3|3 - Hodgson 2|2, A.I. Dupont 1|1

4. Delmar: 5|7 - St. Mary's 1|1, Parkside 1|2 (Rising Sun), Friends 0|1 (Tower Hill), Lake 1|1, Woodbridge 2|2, [1 possible but not projected bonus point from Easton]

5. Archmere: 2|4 - Woodbridge 2|2, DMA 0|1 (Conrad), Red Lion 0|1 (Charter)

6. Caravel: 2|3 - Woodbridge 2|2, DMA 0|1 (Conrad)

7. Lake: 3|4 - Friends 0|1 (Tower Hill), Delmar 1|1, Woodbridge 2|2

8. Friends: 7|7 - A.I. Dupont 1|1, Woodbridge 2|2, Lake 1|1, Delmar 1|1, New Church 1|1, Tower Hill 1|1

9. AI: 2|3 - Friends 0|1 (Tower Hill), Howard 2|2

10. DMA: 3|4 - Red Lion 0|1 (Charter), Archmere 1|1, Caravel 1|1

Notes on bonus point games:

1. DMA/Conrad: A loss by DMA would drop them out of contention, but also drop Caravel and Archmere to a 3.9 index and down one seed to the 6th and 7th seeds respectively, which would move Lake up into the 5th seed. Would be a big upset.

2. Red Lion/Charter: A loss by Red Lion would drop Tower Hill to the 3rd seed and put Howard in as the 2nd seed, and also drop Archmere to the 7th seed, which would move Caravel up to the 5th seed and Lake up to the 6th seed. Would be a huge upset.

3. Friends/Tower Hill: A loss by Friends would drop Delmar to the 6th seed, moving Archmere to the 4th seed and Caravel to the 5th seed. AI would drop to a 3.6 index tying them with DMA, and DMA would be in as the 8th seed based on opponent wins tie-breaker over AI. Would be a big upset.

4. Parkside/Rising Sun: A loss by Parkside would drop Delmar to the 7th seed. Would be a big upset.

5. Easton/Harford Tech: Only matters if Friends or Parkside loses, or Delmar beats Woodbridge. Easton winning would be an upset.

Index Ranges:

1. Woodbridge: Index range 4.9 – 4.4. Is in win or lose. 1st – 3rd seed

2. Tower Hill: Index range: 4.55 – 4.11. Is in win or lose. 1st – 4th seed

3. Howard: Index range: 4.2 – 3.7. Is in win or lose. 2nd – 8th seed

4. Delmar: Index range: 4.5 – 3.8. Is in win or lose. 1st – 7th seed

5. Archmere: Index Range: 4.0 – 3.4. Is in if they win and could be out if they lose.

6. Caravel: Index Range: 4.0 – 3.5. Is in if they win and could be out if they lose.

7. Lake Forest: Index Range: 4.0 – 3.4. Is in if they win and almost certainly out if they lose.

8. Friends: 3.89 – 3.44. Is in if they win and almost certainly out if they lose.

9. AI: Index Range: 3.7 – 3.2. Needs Archmere, Caravel or Lake to lose. Or Friends and one of Archmere, Caravel, Lake or DMA to lose.

10. DMA: Index Range: 3.6 – 3.1. Needs Friends to lose, or two of AI, Archmere, Lake or Caravel to lose.

Note: If Friends loses, AI drops a bonus point and DMA passes them on opponent wins.

Just to show how complicated the scenarios can be, the 1st seed could be Woodbridge, Tower Hill, or Delmar. This is based on the results of the Woodbridge/Delmar game, the Friends/Tower Hill game, the Red Lion/Charter game, and the Easton/Harford Tech game. That’s 16 possible outcomes just for the first spot. There are many, many more for the remaining spots.

Key Games:

1. Lake/Milford: If Lake beats Milford they are in. If they lose, AI is in at the 8th seed and Friends moves up to the 7th seed.

2. Friends/Tower Hill: Friends is out if they lose (not likely in my opinion). Tower Hill is the 2nd seed win or lose. If Friends loses, DMA is in at the 8th seed.

One interesting thing to note is that Archmere and Caravel are separated by only 1 projected opponent win and they both have 52 projected opponent losses. They share three games, St Elizabeth, DMA and Woodbridge. Red Lion/Charter for Archmere and St George/Concord for Caravel play each other this week, and Silver Oak for Caravel doesn’t play this week, so none of those games will impact the final numbers. That leaves 3 games for Archmere and 5 games for Caravel that could decide the opponent win tiebreaker between Caravel and Archmere.

The games are (opponent shown in bold):

Archmere: St Marks/Sallies (W), Tatnall/St Andrews (W), Mt Plesant/Middletown (W)

Caravel: St Andrews (W)/Tatnall, Glasgow/Howard (W), Laurel (W)/Seaford, Conrad/DMA (W), CR/Dover (W)

If Conrad beats DMA, it drops both of them down a bonus point and costs Caravel an opponent win without affecting Archmer’s opponent wins as Archmere played both of them. So Archmere would be the 6th seed and Caravel the 7th seed.

All three of Archmere’s opponents are projected to lose this weekend. If one of them wins, it puts the 5th seed out of Caravel’s reach.

If all of Archmere’s opponent’s games do go as expected, there’s a possibility that Caravel could tie Archemre on opponent wins at 47 and win the second tie breaker on opponent losses (51 Caravel to 52 Archmere).

Glasgow isn’t going to beat Howard, St Mark’s isn’t going to beat the Sallies and Mt Pleasant isn’t going to beat Middletown. But if St Andrews, DMA and Laurel win as expected, a CR upset over Dover would put Caravel in as the 5th seed and drop Archmere to the 6th seed.

So, a few additional games to watch this weekend for Caravel and Archmere fans are: Tatnall/St Andrews, CR/Dover, Laurel/Seaford.

Last edited:
Nice, the only scenario that will rearrange what you have as the final prediction is Milford beating lake. I think Milford is a better team and will knock Lake out

Also, Howard vs Caravel will be an interesting 1st round matchup; Howard played good against a good Hodgson team but hasn’t played any D2 playoff teams...

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
Nice, the only scenario that will rearrange what you have as the final prediction is Milford beating lake. I think Milford is a better team and will knock Lake out

I have that covered Chill. If Lake loses to Milford, Friends is the 7th seed and AI the 8th. I agree that's the most likely "upset" to happen.

Reactions: Chill44
Caravel cs Howard while TH gets the #2 seed. Pure crap.

If Tower Hill and Red Lion lose and Howard wins, or if Tower Hill loses and Delmar wins, they would be 3rd.

If Tower Hill and Red Lion lose and Howard and Delmar win, they would be 4th.

That's the worst they can do.

I was told by my son that my predictions were being shared in the group chat of the football team and they were upset because they think I am predicting Woodbridge will beat Delmar.

Well let me say to the Delmar team, no I am not saying Woodbridge will beat Delmar in these predictions. What I do is select the winners based on the computer rankings of the teams. While these rankings are not 100% accurate, they are more accurate than not and really are the only way to predict so many games into the future. The computer rankings are pretty accurate for games where the two teams are far apart in the rankings, and they become less so for teams that are closer in the rankings. "Upsets" happen based on the computer rankings every week, regardless of the ranking of the two teams.

For the record, I think Delmar and Woodbridge are both good teams as the rankings reflect, but I think Delmar will beat Woodbridge this Friday for the Henlopen South Championship.

I was told by my son that my predictions were being shared in the group chat of the football team and they were upset because they think I am predicting Woodbridge will beat Delmar.

Well let me say to the Delmar team, no I am not saying Woodbridge will beat Delmar in these predictions. What I do is select the winners based on the computer rankings of the teams. While these rankings are not 100% accurate, they are more accurate than not and really are the only way to predict so many games into the future. The computer rankings are pretty accurate for games where the two teams are far apart in the rankings, and they become less so for teams that are closer in the rankings. "Upsets" happen based on the computer rankings every week, regardless of the ranking of the two teams.

For the record, I think Delmar and Woodbridge are both good teams as the rankings reflect, but I think Delmar will beat Woodbridge this Friday for the Henlopen South Championship.

Your doing projections you have to predict some wins and losses it’s how it works

A bonus for the Delmar players. If you beat Woodbridge, Easton beats Harford Tech, Parkside beats Rising Sun and Tower Hill loses to Friends, you will be the first seed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ikeyfbst2
Just saw in another thread is CR wins CA moves to #5 that true?

If Sallies beat St. Mark's, St. Andrews Beats Tatnall, Middletown Beats Mt. Plesant, Laurel Beats Seaford and DMA beats Conrad, then yes CR beating Dover would put Caravel in as the 5th seed and knock Archmere down to 6th.

If any of those games goes the other way, the best Caravel can do is 6th (that's assuming Caravel and Archmere win of course, and Friends beats Tower Hill and Parkside beats Rising Sun and Red Lion beats Charter). D2 is complicated.

Note: Everything except CR beating Dover is projected to happen.

Last edited:
Solve this and you will have solved the D2 play-off problem

2-complex-math-formulas-on-whiteboard-mathematics-and-science-with-economics-michal-bednarek.jpg

LOL!! HERE WE GO!!! TOWER HILL BY TWO TOUCHDOWNS TONIGHT!!!

Best team Tower Hill played all year is Red Lion, who they barely beat 16-8. Red Lion is Ranked 7739. Friends is ranked 3709. Friends is in a whole other league than anybody Tower Hill has played all year.

The Chickenhawks need to figure out how to win the Silk Panty League before poppin off about anything else.. lol.. What is it now 0-5 vs The Quakers last 5 meetings?

Last edited:
The Chickenhawks needs to figure out how to win the Silk Panty League before poppin off about anything else.. lol.. What is it now 0-5 vs The Quakers last 5 meetings?

0-4, Tower beat them in the 2015 finale, then lost to Howard in the first round of the playoffs. Still, it's going to be interesting if these teams end up playing AGAIN next week...

0-4, Tower beat them in the 2015 finale, then lost to Howard in the first round of the playoffs. Still, it's going to be interesting if these teams end up playing AGAIN next week...

2016- Lost 0-35
2017- Lost 0-30
2017- 1st rd PO Lost 7-14
2018- Lost 3-10
2018- 2nd rd PO Lost 6-14

and yes they could go to 0 for 7 and Friends knock them out three straight years.. That is what I am hoping for anyway..
giphy.gif

Reactions: Jules1127
LOL!!! Due to TH schedule, and much to the dismay of the rest of the forum, you got me for at least 2 more weeks!!! HAHA!! TWO TOUCHDOWNS..easy!! HAHA

2016- Lost 0-35
2017- Lost 0-30
2017- 1st rd PO Lost 7-14
2018- Lost 3-10
2018- 2nd rd PO Lost 6-14

and yes they could go to 0 for 7 and Friends knock them out three straight years.. That is what I am hoping for anyway..
giphy.gif

Not sure how I missed that 2017 playoff game. Is Nelson back yet/will be back?

Not sure how I missed that 2017 playoff game. Is Nelson back yet/will be back?
I don't think so..last pic I saw he was in soft leg cast.. doubt he does anything before baseball season.. Committed to Missouri Baseball

Last edited:
And that means what??? You play the game on the field!! You have your opinion. I've seen both teams play THIS YEAR. I got mine. TWO TOUCHDOWNS!!

Which game(s) did you go to?
10,240 rated Delcastle?
12,534 rated Charter?
10,579 rated St Elizabeth?
10,291 rated Tatnall?
7,739 rated Red Lion?
10,912 rated Pennington?
8,824 rated St. Andrew's?
12,180 rated Christiana?

It's great to have confidence in your team, but you can see by that list why others don't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT