ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL Projected State Tournament Pairings

I think pksundevil is speaking about Cape (9-11) getting in over Dickinson (12-8) because 8yaz stated that he/she wouldn't reward teams for losing but yet he/she was glad that Dickinson didn't get in.

Is there any subjectivity in the selection process, or is it strictly by the point system? If it's just by the points, I guess there's no selection at all. I'd like to see some subjectivity in the process. Anyone with any basketball acumen, who sees a lot of games, and who saw both Hodgson and Dickinson play this season, would tell you that Hodgson is one of the top 24 teams and Dickinson is not, so the points system worked in that case. I just think that some subjectivity would help when the point system clearly favors the wrong team(s) getting in. Some subjectivity with seeding might be good too. Example, look at Concord being the #1 seed? Is that supposed to mean they are the best team in the state going into this tournament? I don't see that at all.

Originally posted by 8yaz:
Is there any subjectivity in the selection process, or is it strictly by the point system? If it's just by the points, I guess there's no selection at all. I'd like to see some subjectivity in the process. Anyone with any basketball acumen, who sees a lot of games, and who saw both Hodgson and Dickinson play this season, would tell you that Hodgson is one of the top 24 teams and Dickinson is not, so the points system worked in that case. I just think that some subjectivity would help when the point system clearly favors the wrong team(s) getting in. Some subjectivity with seeding might be good too. Example, look at Concord being the #1 seed? Is that supposed to mean they are the best team in the state going into this tournament? I don't see that at all.
I am not sure it would ever happen but I agree with Mr 8Yaz. Another example would be Sallies seeded 6th with a bye at 10-10 while Howard is 9 at 16-4 and they beat Sallies during the season. Howard should get the bye.

Yes, but then you get to the fact that Sallies beat the 5 seed (st. e's) and the 7 seed (penn), while Howard had a far worse loss than anyone Sallies lost to- Brandywine. That is why the points system is probably as good as anything. Howard beats Brandywine, Howard gets a seed.

The good thing is that 24 teams now have the ability to win the state tournament. If you're the best, the seeds don't really matter, do they? Go out and prove it on the court- there will be some great games, some surprises, and that's what makes March fun.

Originally posted by pksundevil:
Yes, but then you get to the fact that Sallies beat the 5 seed (st. e's) and the 7 seed (penn), while Howard had a far worse loss than anyone Sallies lost to- Brandywine. That is why the points system is probably as good as anything. Howard beats Brandywine, Howard gets a seed.

The good thing is that 24 teams now have the ability to win the state tournament. If you're the best, the seeds don't really matter, do they? Go out and prove it on the court- there will be some great games, some surprises, and that's what makes March fun.
Sorry but a bye and home court 2nd round is a huge advantage. Sallies lost to St E's too. Howard beat William Penn. So Howard beat the # 6 Sallies and the # 7 Penn. If there was a selection committee Sallies would not be getting a bye.

The system is completely mathematical, so their is no subjectivity at all. IF you really are a fan of controversy and conspiracy theories, you would advocate for a subjective system. I agree that an informed panel of coaches/former coaches/officials would probably put together the best field, but there would be no end to the controversy that would result from that. People would always claim that the tournament was political, that there was favoritism or that a team had been cheated. We hear that now, even though the system is mathematical and does not involve judgement.

It's time to see the teams play. Records don't matter now cause if a team slip up they could go bye bye. Let the excitement begin!!!

Exactly M2MFan, you think people are upset now...but if you had a board or panel select the field do you realize how many teams would be crying that the such & such is biased, or this team is only in cuz of their name, etc. The point system is set in stone & is the best way in my opinion...if you don't get in then plain & simple maybe you should have scheduled better or simply won more games. There is nobody to point the finger at w/ the point system but yourself...implement a selection committee & those fingers would be pointed at them by whoever does not get in causing even more controversy.

This post was edited on 2/28 12:17 PM by J12

Originally posted by J12:
Exactly M2MFan, you think people are upset now...but if you had a board or panel select the field do you realize how many teams would be crying that the such & such is biased, or this team is only in cuz of their name, etc. The point system is set in stone & is the best way in my opinion...if you don't get in then plain & simple maybe you should have scheduled better or simply won more games. There is nobody to point the finger at w/ the point system but yourself...implement a selection committee & those fingers would be pointed at them by whoever does not get in causing even more controversy.

This post was edited on 2/28 12:17 PM by J12
Not upset at all. Just voicing my opinion. Have no allegiance to either team.

oldtimer22, just to clarify I wasn't saying that you were upset I was speaking of the teams left out & their fans/supporters. I just think that there would be even more controversy if the system was not known ahead of time & we allowed the teams to basically be handpicked. I have no problem with your opinion...it's a forum/message board so that's what it's for to voice opinions. Good luck to all teams in the field...let the games begin.

How about the tournament committee puts out the point index for every team, so we know how they seeded the teams. The hilarious point of the whole bonus point thing is the Athletic Directors are giving the committee the records of the out of state opponents they play. Does the committee do any leg work and make sure those records are accurate? Just make it clear that's all......

The committee did post the point index for every team in the state, so everyone can feel free to have a look. The brackets and indexes were sent to media outlets and every Athletic Director can see the numbers that the committee works with.

You are wrong about the out of state teams. The committee gathers those records on their own and only the committee is able (electronically) to enter that data. Coaches and ADs are asked to check as the work is progressing so that everyone agrees on the numbers before the tournament is seeded. Before the Websites4Sports era all of the work was done with paper and pencil and each AD had to submit their sheet with records, games played, out of state teams played etc...but even then the committee was collecting the records for out of state teams and relied on the paper sheets from schools as a way to cross check. There's really nothing murky or secretive about the process and there are a lot of eyes on the numbers before the seedings are done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT