ADVERTISEMENT

First Round Predictions/Scores Thread

GateKeeperRefugee

All-State
Jan 3, 2013
So now that the seedings have changed, a quick run down for tonight and a thread for updates:

9 Sussex Tech vs. 24 Laurel - the only game that wasn't affected by the Dickinson shenanigans, nothing changes in result. Tech has the better team, Laurel needs other players to help Logan Handy out and I don't see it happening. 60-24 Tech

10 Padua vs. 23 Dickinson - Pandas go from facing one top scoring threat (Zhan'e Snow) to another (Mimi Brown). The Pandas have solid senior leadership in Bella Julian and Camryn Scully and that'll likely be more than enough for another battle with Ursuline in the 2nd round. Pandas win it 56-30.

11 Archmere vs. 22 Concord - Archmere had a nice path to the Final Four before the reseeds. Got tougher, but I still like them against Concord, even with Zhan'e Snow playing her best at the right time. Dan Pisani's an excellent coach and Archmere's much better than 12-8. Archmere takes it 61-42.

12 Newark Charter vs. 21 Sussex Central - I picked the Golden Knights when they were playing St. Georges and I'll pick em again against Newark Charter - tourney experience and great coaching will do it. If the Karr sisters can have great games though, Newark Charter can win it. Still, give me Central 50-37

13 Tatnall vs. 20 St. Mark's - Tatnall has two scorers in Shelby Bailey-Smiley and Kennedy Brown who can get it done, while St. Mark's much like their boys counterparts, plays a slow-paced, tough defensive game. Can Tatnall score enough? I say yes. Hornets 40-32.

14 Wilmington Christian vs. 19 Appo - Sort of a homecoming for Shania Davis, who played her 8th grade year at Wilmington Christian and she leads the Jags into a battle. The Warriors have gotten better as the season progressed (thanks pksundevil) and with the right crowd support and effort can win this game. I'll take Wilmington Christian in a close one, 51-48.

15 Delmarva Christian vs. 18 CR - Bill Victory's girls should make quick work of a team that had a 5-3 record against mostly average DE competition all year (got drilled by Dover, lost to Sussex Academy! and Woodbridge) Riders in a rout 61-20.

16 St. Georges vs. 17 Woodbridge - the two teams that got hosed the worst by Dickinson's mess. Woodbridge lost a home game and St. G dropped FIVE spots. The winner gets Caravel and it might actually be the game of the night because they mirror each other - two young teams with a ton of talent and good coaching that could make noise for the next few years. I think Woodbridge will be mad and use that to their advantage, so give me the Blue Raiders 56-50.

So now that the seedings have changed, a quick run down for tonight and a thread for updates:

12 Newark Charter vs. 21 Sussex Central - I picked the Golden Knights when they were playing St. Georges and I'll pick em again against Newark Charter - tourney experience and great coaching will do it. If the Karr sisters can have great games though, Newark Charter can win it. Still, give me Central 50-37

14 Wilmington Christian vs. 19 Appo - Sort of a homecoming for Shania Davis, who played her 8th grade year at Wilmington Christian and she leads the Jags into a battle. The Warriors have gotten better as the season progressed (thanks pksundevil) and with the right crowd support and effort can win this game. I'll take Wilmington Christian in a close one, 51-48.

16 St. Georges vs. 17 Woodbridge - the two teams that got hosed the worst by Dickinson's mess. Woodbridge lost a home game and St. G dropped FIVE spots. The winner gets Caravel and it might actually be the game of the night because they mirror each other - two young teams with a ton of talent and good coaching that could make noise for the next few years. I think Woodbridge will be mad and use that to their advantage, so give me the Blue Raiders 56-50.

Good picks but;

I'll take St. Georges over Woodbridge. Woodbridge is to young there time will come and I will take Appo over Wilmington Christian as Appo played a tough schedule and are a little tougher. Newark Charter/Sussex Central is a toss up either team can win it may be closer than you expect.

Thanks for the picks- I think Appo is probably the favorite versus WCS but it could be close. My gut tells me Tatnall wins by more than you think.

WCS up 30-20 at half. Wouldn’t believe it if I wasn’t there. Appo frustrated and getting in foul trouble. WCS has a huge height advantage and that’s the difference so far.

Could they give Conrad a run on Friday? Hmmm....

Meanwhile, Archmere's handling Concord 32-8 and St. Mark's is doing what it does, leading Tatnall 10-8 at the half.

Sussex Tech leading Laurel 36-17
Central up on Newark Charter 28-11
CR leading Delmarva Christian 38-22
St. Mark's 17-8 over Tatnall heading to the 4th.

11-0 Appo run in the first 2 minutes of 3q put them ahead but WCS answered with a 7-2 run. 37-33 with 2 mins left in 3q.

Sussex Central defeats Newark Charter easily, will play St. Thomas More on Friday. Gotta be nervous if you're the STMA Ravens...

ETA - Final score was 60-37.

Couple of nice wins last night - St. Georges won their first tournament game ever last night and Wilmington Christian won their first tourney game since 2006.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT