ADVERTISEMENT

FNL SORES

Many posters have shared the same sentiments...I just do not get it, they have lost to some quality teams in this span but every year they have numbers and some nice talent. What gives?
We all know but don't say the C word. It may upset some people

Many posters have shared the same sentiments...I just do not get it, they have lost to some quality teams in this span but every year they have numbers and some nice talent. What gives?

Concord hasn't had a great deal of talent in years. They have basically had size and use that to beat up on the smaller schools Flight A schools (Glasgow, DuPont, Appo, Charter, Mount, Newark, Delcastle) an d a non conference weaker team gives them 6-7 wins a year and playoffs.

This year they lose beating up on DuPont and Mount for a physical but not good Hodgson and a not as talented as the past few years St. George's. with only 9 games 5-4 or 4-5 is there likely finishing spot.

They're one of the smaller schools in D1, especially compared to the teams that have usually been able to get the best of them (MIddletown, Sallies, Penn).

This year I think everyone keeps assuming they have the usual talent because of Bam and their #2 RB who's also pretty good, but outside of that, they graduated a lot of players, especially up front. I looked at their roster and I think their line is all sophomores and juniors, maybe one senior. They lost the WR they had last year too that could go up and grab anything. The offense is basically Roberts and that's it.

A shame because that offensive line will probably grow into a decent unit as they usually do but Roberts will be gone.

Concord hasn't had a great deal of talent in years. They have basically had size and use that to beat up on the smaller schools Flight A schools (Glasgow, DuPont, Appo, Charter, Mount, Newark, Delcastle) an d a non conference weaker team gives them 6-7 wins a year and playoffs.

This year they lose beating up on DuPont and Mount for a physical but not good Hodgson and a not as talented as the past few years St. George's. with only 9 games 5-4 or 4-5 is there likely finishing spot.

but recently they have had Avery and Grant and nothing to show for it

Reactions: Jawnsky
They're one of the smaller schools in D1, especially compared to the teams that have usually been able to get the best of them (MIddletown, Sallies, Penn).

This year I think everyone keeps assuming they have the usual talent because of Bam and their #2 RB who's also pretty good, but outside of that, they graduated a lot of players, especially up front. I looked at their roster and I think their line is all sophomores and juniors, maybe one senior. They lost the WR they had last year too that could go up and grab anything. The offense is basically Roberts and that's it.

A shame because that offensive line will probably grow into a decent unit as they usually do but Roberts will be gone.

The difference in enrollment among most D1 schools is minuscule other than Sals, Penn and CR .. Concords offensive scheme is pitiful and not even rec league approved.. That IS the problem

Reactions: Jawnsky
The difference in enrollment among most D1 schools is minuscule other than Sals, Penn and CR .. Concords offensive scheme is pitiful and not even rec league approved.. That IS the problem

RR as good as Avery and Grant are you can't win with 2 of those types of players. You need explosive athletes and that is not them. Thought the kids Lennox and Dennis would be able to develop into something but Lennox is solid but I think Dennis may be another year from being fully healthy from that knee injury.

The offensive scheme is a wing T. They change the variations based on the backs they have. It is a dying breed and easy to defend if the defense is discipline and/or simply better.

Another problem for Delaware publics is that the schools are too small. Here, when enrollment reaches 1500 or so they build a new school. Rodney and Penn are the largest here but in Pa they would be far from it on average.

Numbers aren't''t really the problem. DE has school choice... Coaching is and old timers can't shake the "Delaware Wing T" and old school coaching on D.. In some ways I like DE is old school and resistant to change as I like the old school slow way of life ..but in HS football they are being left behind.. No NCAA coaches are recruiting wing T players unless its Navy or GA Tech

if HVT loses to DMA and Poly beats Cape Dover and ST . There is a scenerio where Poly could get in

Who would have thought that Poly is even in the discussion of playoffs back in August. But you're right. There is a chance.

Nothing wrong with the wing T if you run it correctly. Concord offensive scheme is all over the place . They have plenty of talent and shouldn't get blown out by Hodgson like they did. Should've been more competitive vs Sallies as well.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
I think the most overrated coach in DE history, was actually Rich Kotite.

Rich has the itch to get back into coaching. There is a rumor that he was spotted at the Lewes Park 'n' Ride in August. Sounds to me like he could be in line for the Cape job.

Wing T run correctly.ironically on the the other side of the country.. No one in DE runs it like this.. Should be called Washington Wing T

The line firing out and the speed of execution in the backfield is the difference plus the QB s slight of hand and almost majestic like fakes who has it works but can pull it out and throw when needed.. Wing T is a great O IF run correctly but it takes years to perfect

Schools like the shown are in an area where the kids learn the system from 5u and up..nThey have been running that together since they were in diapers lol

Eh, even the small difference between Middletown and Concord, about 350 students, still gives you ~175 more boys to choose from for your team. That could make the difference of 2-3 great athletes that the other team doesn't get.

I think the main reason Concord has even been able to be competitive the last few years is because they've got the reputation as the "Football school" in that district thanks to the run they went on in D2 when all the kids that attend now were little and watching the local team win championships. Mount was able to get the best of them a couple years ago but otherwise they've dominated those local match-ups for years now. All the public school players want to choice into CHS up there, so even though they're smaller than the top dogs, they get players that other similar sized schools over the last few years(AI, Delcaste, etc) don't. That talent allows them to beat up on all those teams and then at least hang around with the Sallies/Middletown/Penns of the world.

Probably the same reason why Middletown still dominates Appo even though Appo is the bigger school by ~150-200 kids. Middletown has the reputation, Appo still hasn't put it all together yet. If they ever do, it could definitely upset the balance of power as more kids see Appo as an option.

Eh, even the small difference between Middletown and Concord, about 350 students, still gives you ~175 more boys to choose from for your team. That could make the difference of 2-3 great athletes that the other team doesn't get.

I think the main reason Concord has even been able to be competitive the last few years is because they've got the reputation as the "Football school" in that district thanks to the run they went on in D2 when all the kids that attend now were little and watching the local team win championships. Mount was able to get the best of them a couple years ago but otherwise they've dominated those local match-ups for years now. All the public school players want to choice into CHS up there, so even though they're smaller than the top dogs, they get players that other similar sized schools over the last few years(AI, Delcaste, etc) don't. That talent allows them to beat up on all those teams and then at least hang around with the Sallies/Middletown/Penns of the world.

Probably the same reason why Middletown still dominates Appo even though Appo is the bigger school by ~150-200 kids. Middletown has the reputation, Appo still hasn't put it all together yet. If they ever do, it could definitely upset the balance of power as more kids see Appo as an option.

CR has 2000 students and is only second to Penn and they are not good . Explain that..Dover and Charter are next on the list Point being numbers dont tell the story Coaching and having a program does Further more if kids are choosing a school for football reputation then that is a bigger problem. For example Avery and Grant are going D1 but the rest of them are not,,,, Going to a school because they have D1 recruits is not going to make you one. If you have d1 talent they will find you

Last edited:
CR has 2000 students and is only second to Penn and they are not good . Explain that..Dover and Charter are next on the list Point being numbers dont tell the story Coaching and having a program does Further more if kids are choosing a school for football reputation then that is a bigger problem. For example Avery and Grant are going D1 but the rest of them are not,,,, Going to a school because they have D1 recruits is not going to make you one. If you have d! talent they will find you

Facts!!!!

Cape needs a new coach its time... No one in D1 will ever win with that offense and Cape isnt even good at running it...

This is what alot of people I know in the Cape community has been calling for. St. Georges Coach Maull is a former Cape QB who would be good there

Wing T run correctly.ironically on the the other side of the country.. No one in DE runs it like this.. Should be called Washington Wing T

The highlight you posted are all key breaker plays. Very few teams include these plays in there wing T offense probably less than 10 percent 25 max.

how about this one focus on how the line fires and speed of execution in the back field It beautiful to watch,, better than a spread O in my opinion. QB looks like a frog though. Center pad level is ridiculous lol

how about this one focus on how the line fires and speed of execution in the back field It beautiful to watch,, better than a spread O in my opinion

Yeah they are well oiled machines I won’t go so far as saying better than spread offense. Depends on which ones and who’s teaching. Chip Kelly’s offense is based off the wing T. He grow up as a wing T coach and had the idea of running those plays but using all 53 yards wide

Yeah they are well oiled machines I won’t go so far as saying better than spread offense. Depends on which ones and who’s teaching. Chip Kelly’s offense is based off the wing T. He grow up as a wing T coach and had the idea of running those plays but using all 53 yards wide

Didnt mean better as it pertained to the game today just better for a guy like me to watch,, I just know the coaching and commitment by the players it takes to run a system like that the way they do.. I find it impressive just saying

Really what I was saying DE teams that run the wing T aren't really running the wing T.. yeah they are running plays from the wing T formation but unless you are running them somewhat close to the videos I posted you are just running plays but not running the wing T If you can't really run the wing T the right way then its time to move onto something else just saying

Last edited:
Reactions: VoiceofReason247
Makes 135
All assistants in building
Dean of students
New uniforms every other year,including helmets
Easiest div 1 schedule in state

Dove that is in every state in the northeast Hell Harford County MD has 10 high schools,, The rule of thought in the NE is class size equals better education,, not so much in the South

Last edited:
They should have decided who played a lil better so they could have a lil extra pizza-OR whoever is bigger just gets more!

If it weren't for the two pick sixes and they were terrible throws Wilson would have had the whole pie, but then again they could have done the easy thing and give it to Knight who was really the POG

CR has 2000 students and is only second to Penn and they are not good . Explain that..Dover and Charter are next on the list Point being numbers dont tell the story Coaching and having a program does Further more if kids are choosing a school for football reputation then that is a bigger problem. For example Avery and Grant are going D1 but the rest of them are not,,,, Going to a school because they have D1 recruits is not going to make you one. If you have d1 talent they will find you

I agree that kids shouldn't be choosing a school for football rep, but that definitely happens. They want to play for a competitive team that wins games, and if they have the resources to get to a choice school...my nephew knew a couple kids that choiced because they wanted to play for a certain school.

CR used to be a pretty dominant team 8-10 years ago IIRC. I'm not saying numbers tell the whole story, but among the competitive teams, it definitely helps to have a few hundred more boys to potentially choose from. It's just hard for me to blame it on the coaching or the program when the eye test alone just seems to say this team just doesn't have as much on the field as the teams the last 3-4 years did. I do think the line has the potential to grow into an elite unit in the next couple of years. Hopefully they have the skill players to go with them by then, because they're graduating a lot of skill players this year.

That is where having a "program" comes in.. Anyone can just show up and coach who ever is there and if they are lucky to have a stud class they may win once in a while,, Good coaching in my opinion is having a program that everyone is behind and the kids know they have to put the work in in the off season if they want to play..

When you have a solid program kids will choice to you and they will put in the work,, You may not win it all every year but you will be competitive If you as a coach develop relationships with the college coaches even better

Point is why would any kid choice to CR ? old archaic offense, no history of getting kids schollys and they lose .. Now Smyrna on the other hand is a different story.. Like I said three yeas ago I could see them being a destination school like Cape is for LAX I was scoffed at but here we are now. Nice facilities and great football, wrestling and basketball programs. Baseball is pretty decent as well . School admin and community support goes along way.. Middletown has thrived on these things,.. If you are a good football player at MOT rec but live in APPO zone your school choicing to Middletown not even a question. Well maybe a few stragglers to Caravel or Sallies but that is besides the point

Just letting everyone know, even if you have two masters degrees or a doctorate degree no one in the state is making more than 92k a year (doesn't matter district or years experience)....I'm talking salary for just teaching. If you don't believe me it shows teacher salaries on district websites. Only way you make 100K plus a year is if you are asst principal or principal and you are not allowed to coach if you are one of those two. APs make about 115k and Principals 130k. If you have a Master's Degree, have been teaching 25 plus years, and are a head football coach, you are making between 95k to 100k a year.

If you have just a bachelor's degree as a teacher in DE you are making out at about 60k or 65k. You need a master's or doctorate to make decent money. And most districts max your pay out at 16 years.

It's just making me laugh that people think teachers in DE are making more than 100k or even right at 100k. Depending on district and education level teachers start out making between 37k to 46k and then max out after 16 years. The district I work for maxes out at 62k for Bachelor, 81K for Masters, and 89K for a double Master's or Doctorate.....and that takes 16 years! Each year after 16 you might be lucky to get a $500 bonus every five years for longevity. As a teacher and a head coach, I can tell you we don't do it for the money and I can also tell you none of us are making 6 figures plus.

If your O-line comes off the ball like in those videos, you could line up in the I, triple I, power I, run the ball 85% of the time and still win.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
Bellevue was once on a 67 game winning streak until the coach got rung up for recruiting
Bellevue is also the team that ended De La Salle's (CA) 12 year winning streak beating them 39-20 in 2004

It's just making me laugh that people think teachers in DE are making more than 100k or even right at 100k. Depending on district and education level teachers start out making between 37k to 46k and then max out after 16 years. The district I work for maxes out at 62k for Bachelor, 81K for Masters, and 89K for a double Master's or Doctorate.....and that takes 16 years! Each year after 16 you might be lucky to get a $500 bonus every five years for longevity. As a teacher and a head coach, I can tell you we don't do it for the money and I can also tell you none of us are making 6 figures plus.
Cape's coach is making over six figures He is not a teacher.

@Confucious01 . They have many names for admin whom are still on the teacher pay scale. "Dean of Students", "Student Advisor", and "Disciplinarian". They are still considered as 1 Unit on the teacher scale and for staffing. They still get paid on a teacher pay scale. The only staff that gets paid differently are Asst Principals and Principals or special assignments such as School Psychologist etc. I was the "Dean of Students" in a DE high school.and was paid in the teacher scale. It is just a way for DE schools to have staff perform administrative duties but not pay the Asst Principal Salary.

Also, if you look under district websites and look at "Adminstration Pay", there is no specific pay for "Dean's" , or "Student Advisors", or "Disciplinarian". Every other category is very specific for the pay scale. The reason being is because they are paid in the teacher pay scale and the reasons I stated above.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT