ADVERTISEMENT

Games played situation

Feb 8, 2016
Please someone knows the DIAA and history better than me please correct any of these assertions as incorrect.

1) Last year (2017) only one playoff team made the field having played less than 18 games.
2) The team having played only 17 games last year seemingly benefited by that less than full slate schedule ... receiving the overall 2 seed. (In spite of having played less than everyone else in the field)
3) This year the same team will likely be one of few teams in State vying for a title that did not play the full 18 game schedule. As they have only played 14 games when every other team in State (vying for tournament entry) has played at least 16 with most currently sitting at 17. (Statistically this would bare out to NOT be a coincidence to again be in this situation.)
4) Playing a full schedule is almost certainly a disadvantage if another team can take the average results from the games they WANT to play. Playing less than a full slate avoids the 3 games in a week, reality most teams face. It makes it easier to start the most games with best pitchers on a limited pitching staff. If a team can avoid playing games against known lesser teams, which for most teams in a conference are mandatory, they can avoid the power / matrix killing forced no bonus point games.
5) A coach has the power to schedule games that are more likely or less likely to be cancelled or effected by weather. Late season games against out of state opponents seem to be known to be more likely to be subject to cancelation.
6) People are by their nature motivated by consequences. If scheduling in a manner that creates a greater likelihood of cancelation, benefits rather than punishes a team ... it would seem likley to continue.

I wish the rest of the State’s teams playing in larger conferences had power of to seemingly manipulate (if they choose to) the schedule in this matter. (Or that teams that make decisions that leave them likely to play less games were not rewarded for doing so.) Really I wish teams could play more than 18 rather than less. And really I wish if a team happens to be one of the best in the State we didn’t go back to back regular seasons where we didn’t get to see them play as many in state games as possible. If others & DIAA agree with any of these wishes it would seem they need to enforce a consequence for not getting games in. Having played only 14 to this point seems like something should not happen again.

Frankly, I think Caravel should be left out if they only get in 15 games. Although maybe if they have to play 4 in 5 days, as is currently scheduled, they’d be out of pitchers? Some of their rescheduled games definitely won’t be played.

CA has to play 2 out of 3 games by Monday to qualify with 2 games being away and 1 at home. The Middletown field doesn’t take water well so if it rains through Saturday or Sunday I can’t see them getting a game in at MTown. They already have a game scheduled at Riverdale Baptist on Monday which is the last day to play. CA’s field does much better with drainage so they could possibly play Glasgow on Saturday. I’m sure they’ll find a way to get at least 2 games in by Monday. Maybe get a game or two at UD which has turf.

Clog the drains at UD so they can’t play tired of them manipulating the system every year to their benefit yes they are usually pretty good team and don’t need the help so not sure why they and screw with the system hope it bites them in the ASS

Didn't you hear Caravel called GOD and asked him to make it rain so they can benefit somehow ?
Any of you who would like to help Caravels AD tell your team to call Caravel and ask to play them , I'm sure they would like to play any in state team that would like the challenge . problem is teams at the top like Cape (who was on our schedule but dropped us)wont reschedule them and the teams that have a chance to make playoffs wont take the loss easier for them to schedule weaker teams ,so Caravel is stuck looking for teams out of state to play !

Didn't you hear Caravel called GOD and asked him to make it rain so they can benefit somehow ?
Any of you who would like to help Caravels AD tell your team to call Caravel and ask to play them , I'm sure they would like to play any in state team that would like the challenge . problem is teams at the top like Cape (who was on our schedule but dropped us)wont reschedule them and the teams that have a chance to make playoffs wont take the loss easier for them to schedule weaker teams ,so Caravel is stuck looking for teams out of state to play !

would help if they could find a conference to join and get those guaranteed games each year so only have to find 8-10 out of conference games instead of a full schedule. but again, pretty new to this so i'm sure that's been explored before.

little new to the tournament stuff, but what are teams supposed to do with rain for 6 straight days to end the season?
MTown missed the tournament in 2015 because they needed a win but couldn’t get their last game in due to rain. BTW...16 team tournament then. Would have made it this year. CA will find a way to get the games in.

Charge caravel with losses for all games not played....they still get in tournament....12-6

Please someone knows the DIAA and history better than me please correct any of these assertions as incorrect.

1) Last year (2017) only one playoff team made the field having played less than 18 games.
2) The team having played only 17 games last year seemingly benefited by that less than full slate schedule ... receiving the overall 2 seed. (In spite of having played less than everyone else in the field)
3) This year the same team will likely be one of few teams in State vying for a title that did not play the full 18 game schedule. As they have only played 14 games when every other team in State (vying for tournament entry) has played at least 16 with most currently sitting at 17. (Statistically this would bare out to NOT be a coincidence to again be in this situation.)
4) Playing a full schedule is almost certainly a disadvantage if a team can take the average results from the games they WANT to play. Playing less than a full slate avoids the 3 games in a week, reality most teams face. It makes it easier to start the most games with best pitchers on a limited pitching staff. If a team can avoid playing games against known lesser teams, which for most teams in a conference are mandatory, they can avoid the power / matrix killing forced no bonus point games.
5) A coach has the power to schedule games that are more likely or less likely to be cancelled or effected by weather. Late season games against out of state opponents seem to be known to be more likely to be subject to cancelation.
6) People are by their nature motivated by consequences. If scheduling in a manner that creates a greater likelihood of cancelation, benefits rather than punishes a team ... it would seem likley to continue.

I wish the rest of the State’s teams playing in larger conferences had power of to seemingly manipulate (if they choose to) the schedule in this matter. (Or that teams that make decisions that leave them likely to play less games were not rewarded for doing so.) Really I wish teams could play more than 18 rather than less. And really I wish if a team happens to be one of the best in the State we didn’t go back to back regular seasons where we didn’t get to see them play as many in state games as possible. If others & DIAA agree with any of these wishes it would seem they need to enforce a consequence for not getting games in. Having played only 14 to this point seems like something should not happen again.

Are teams really that scared of Caravel, that they'd wish for them not to make the tourney?

1) I want Caravel to make the tournament no matter how many games they play. They are one of the best teams and should be in.
2) It hardly seems Cape was scared of Caravel ... their OCS (games that they have scheduling control over) was preseason as challenging as could be with (Appo, Mtown, Salies, St Marks & Riverdale)
3) If Cape didn’t schedule Caravel it was to add Riverdale ... hardly a run for fear.
4) The issue is Caravel isn’t unique in their desire to play only teams that they expect to be challenging. (If you are a Caravel fan and think that get over yourself) What they are is unique in their ability to ONLY schedule teams they think will help power ranking. Scheduling the expected mid tier to lower tier IN State teams is possible and others do it ...including in the early season over the spring break so they don’t have a back loaded schedule. G-D didn’t create that problem back loading a schedule and making sure to ONLY play teams you expect will help you did.

My point is that by doing what Caravel is choosing to do, one of the best teams in the State is making decisions likely to result in not playing a full slate of in State regular season games. When you have a schedule of only 18 games that to me is unacceptable. So you know what if Cape or whatever team you think will help your power rating isn’t available move on to the next IN STATE game. Sure you may “have to dip” into games against teams like this year William Penn, Friends, Red Lion, Hodgson, shoot Delmarva Christian for that matter ... all teams that are going to have 13 wins with out the benefit of playing the great, all feared Caravel. So as the Caravel coach or AD you might not think they are gonna help your seeding and maybe they don’t BUT we are all better off for that game being played. We get a true idea of everyone’s worth. To those above who think DE teams are scared of CA and won’t schedule them (again) you are full of yourself and obtuse to the realities of the system. If your a Sussex Tech or Poly or ANY team playing a game against a likely above .500 (point) above .700 (points) team is desirable EVEN if you loose! No one avoids that game (unless they just can’t make it work) except CA. Caravel playing 16 or 17 games and taking the result averaged over the same number of games encourages the practice of NOT playing games. As long as they get away with it ... why join a conference, why let the rest of us lowly Delaware fans enjoy HS baseball games ... caravel should get in and it’s probably gonna hurt the higher seed (like a Cape) that could see them as a lower than their talent level seed BUT if Caravel gets in as a 9 or 10 rather than a 1 or 2 because they tried to stack the deck ... maybe next year they decide to schedule IN State teams as primary basis when they are trying to win an IN State Chamiponship.

Last edited:
Yes. DIAA changed the last play date to Tuesday.
I saw that. However, there are also a number of games that at last look did not have a reschedule date on them. So at this point who knows what's been granted. Also, I have no idea how many games were scheduled as of March 21. Can only go by whats on the website now. . I also don't feel like going to look up OOS team records. also don't feel like having to update it daily so I'll just hold off with some teams having 3 games remaining.

All I can say is that there is still a ton of bonus points out there for the taking that will make a big difference in the final seeding along with whatever # of games each team gets called on.

Things for certain as of 5/17:
2pt bonus teams include - Cape, WmPenn, Friends, StMarks, RedLion, Appo, HVT,

1pt bonus teams include - Caravel, Delmarva Christian, St georges, Delmar, DMA, Concord, Archmere, Sals, St Andrews, CR, Dover, Glasgow, Central, Middletown, Polytech, Sussex Tech, IR, Newark Charter

Teams in striking distance for giving additional bonus - Delmarva Christian, Delmar, St Georges, DMA, Caravel, Brandywine, Tower Hill, Conrad, St E's, Mt. Pleasant, AI, Dickinson.

At this time, only 3 teams have finished up a full 18 games:
Friends 15-3,
Concord 12-6,
Central 11-7

1) I want Caravel to make the tournament no matter how many games they play. They are one of the best teams and should be in.
2) It hardly seems Cape was scared of Caravel ... their OCS (games that they have scheduling control over) was preseason as challenging as could be with (Appo, Mtown, Salies, St Marks & Riverdale)
3) If Cape didn’t schedule Caravel it was to add Riverdale ... hardly a run for fear.
4) The issue is Caravel isn’t unique in their desire to play only teams that they expect to be challenging. (If you are a Caravel fan and think that get over yourself) What they are is unique in their ability to ONLY schedule teams they think will help power ranking. Scheduling the expected mid tier to lower tier IN State teams is possible and others do it ...including in the early season over the spring break so they don’t have a back loaded schedule. G-D didn’t create that problem back loading a schedule and making sure to ONLY play teams you expect will help you did.

My point is that by doing what Caravel is choosing to do, one of the best teams in the State is making decisions likely to result in not playing a full slate of in State regular season games. When you have a schedule of only 18 games that to me is unacceptable. So you know what if Cape or whatever team you think will help your power rating isn’t available move on to the next IN STATE game. Sure you may “have to dip” into games against teams like this year William Penn, Friends, Red Lion, Hodgson, shoot Delmarva Christian for that matter ... all teams that are going to have 13 wins with out the benefit of playing the great, all feared Caravel. So as the Caravel coach or AD you might not think they are gonna help your seeding and maybe they don’t BUT we are all better off for that game being played. We get a true idea of everyone’s worth. To those above who think DE teams are scared of CA and won’t schedule them (again) you are full of yourself and obtuse to the realities of the system. If your a Sussex Tech or Poly or ANY team playing a game against a likely above .500 (point) above .700 (points) team is desirable EVEN if you loose! No one avoids that game (unless they just can’t make it work) except CA. Caravel playing 16 or 17 games and taking the result averaged over the same number of games encourages the practice of NOT playing games. As long as they get away with it ... why join a conference, why let the rest of us lowly Delaware fans enjoy HS baseball games ... caravel should get in and it’s probably gonna hurt the higher seed (like a Cape) that could see them as a lower than their talent level seed BUT if Caravel gets in as a 9 or 10 rather than a 1 or 2 because they tried to stack the deck ... maybe next year they decide to schedule IN State teams as primary basis when they are trying to win an IN State Chamiponship.

Caravel was #2 as of Sunday night with a 11-2 record 3.615 pts

As of Sunday night
1 Penn 3.667
2 Caravel 3.615
3 St Marks 3.412
4 Cape 3.375
4 Hodgson 3.375
6 Appo 3.250
7 Wilm Friends 3.176
8 St George

What field will legitimately be ready Sat, Sun, or Mon? Maybe even Tuesday? Other than Frawley who sources tell me will be unavailable and UD, DIAA has a mess on their hands.

What field will legitimately be ready Sat, Sun, or Mon? Maybe even Tuesday? Other than Frawley who sources tell me will be unavailable and UD, DIAA has a mess on their hands.
DIAA doesn’t have a problem. Teams that might need games have problems. DIAA just seeds it. They will be rescheduling Softball, Soccer, and Track States....

If the DIAA change the whole regular season rule of everyone just plays everyone in the state and no out of state games there would be people complaining about that.

No matter what is done about team playing other teams you will always have the say idiots complaining about the private schools. How about some of the public schools come up and play some of the public schools in PA? Guaranteed ass whipping if they play curtain teams.

This is the same idiots hoping teams don't get in the tournament because they can't play there games. You should want the best teams in the tournament. if make the games better.

I bet if you ask the higher ranked teams or even the lower ones the kids want to play those teams. It parents who talk about all this stuff. NOT the PLAYERS because they want to play whoever is on the field across from them.

Teams can’t control late winter early spring snow storms or 7 to 8 days of nonstop rain. It’s high school baseball. Let the top however many schools play. High tides float all boats, Play Ball

It just seems stupid to punish a team for playing a harder schedule

Sussex Tech and Sally's played yesterday. What field was that game played on?

Still a little upset as to why in 2015 the DIAA wouldn’t let MTown play past the last official day and this year it’s not a problem. Assuming it’s because of the number of teams that have multiple games to play. I guess rules are rules when you want to enforce them. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad the kids get a chance to get their games in. Just a little pissy because my two boys would’ve played each other in the 1st round that year. MTown will get their Senior game on Tuesday vs. Caravel. The issue for MTown is pitching. I would pitch 3 or 4 guys an inning or two each. The game only matters for seeding at this point. If the 1st round still starts Thursday I would want everyone available. Caravel won’t have to play until Saturday so they can go Silan/Holiday or vice versa on Tuesday. Looks like the weather the end of next week is good as of now.

Move it Back. This is all about playing at Frawley. Let the season play out. Let the teams finish and be seeded were they deserve to be seeded. Play the games at any High School Field. State Championship at the UofD or Wilson Field. Like the old days.

Reactions: 8484ron
Caravel is nicer than frawley anyways. Issue is seating.

Not sure how teams would feel about state championship on turf. Same surface for both teams though....

Did you bump your head when you got out of bed
I agree. Caravel’s field is for shit. It’s terrible they needn't help with it at the beginning of the season and still looks like it needs help. U of D would charge DIAA too much money to use their field. Plus the seating is limited and the view is terrible if you aren’t sitting behind home plate, and there are no lights. U of D is a bad venue for the state championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT