ADVERTISEMENT

GAMES TODAY - APRIL 27, 2017

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
St Georges (6-3) @ Malvern Prep (10-4). Malvern Prep returns back to Delaware after missing the 2015-2016 season. They last played Sallies in 2014, beating them 5-1 in a pitchers duel that got broken open with MP scoring 4 runs in the 6th inning. In 2013, Malvern got beat by Sallies and Caravel. In 2012 MP beat both Sallies and Caravel by big scores. Malvern was 29-6 last season and lost in the PA State championship. The previous two years they were state champs. St Georges coming off a 27-0 throttling of a weak Dickinson squad. But if your thinking that St Georges runs were a mirage against a weaker opponent. Think again. ST Georges hasn’t scored any fewer than 7 runs in a game this season. They are averaging 14 runs per game. If your thinking that they do play in a weak division overall….well that might be true but St G put up 8 on Sallies, 12 on Milford and 10 on Mtown. St G’s defense/pitching is hard to gauge. They have four shutouts this year, but they were against McKean, Christiana, Dickinson and Wm Penn. They allowed 10 to Sallies, 8 to Glasgow and 18 Mtown. I think St G is going to have its hands full against a team that has been to the last three PA state championship games.

Dover (8-1) @ Cape (5-4). Huge Henlopen North rival game. Dover is leading the conference with a 7-0 record while Cape is right behind them with a 4-2 conference record. Its still a little early to say a game is a “must win”, but Cape can’t afford another conference lost. They have Poly tomorrow and Seaford, Tech and Delmar after that. Cape is coming off a continuation game against Smyrna losing 3-2. But they have been off for a week and should be well rested. At this point anyone could take the mound for Cape, but Elliott could get the ball. He is 3-0 on the season. Cape has deep pitching and is also putting up nearly 8 runs a game on average. Dover has been overlooked based on its lack of competition thus far, but lets remember they beat Smryna and Poly this season so far. Velazquez is 6-0 on the season and hasn’t pitched in a week. Dover is well rested as well. This should be best on best, so its clearly the game of the day. Dover blanked Cape last year 10-0 behind Lawson’s 2h, beating Erickson on the mound for Cape. Dover beat Cape as well in 2015, 9-5 and 2014, 10-3.

DMA (7-3) @ Archmere (5-4). DMA and Archmere play in a non-conference matchup today. DMA is just 2-2 in its last four games, losing a close one to Conrad 2-1, beating Newark 2-1, losing to NC 5-0 and beating Wm Penn 7-1. Archmere has won 3 of its last 4, only losing to Conrad 5-3. DMA is led by Michael Serafin who has leads the state with 5 dingers on the season. Despite the bombs though, DMA is scoring 5 runs per game on average but more specifically in the past 5 games they have only scored 14 total runs. Now to be fair, DMA has only allowed 11 runs total over those five games as well. Archmere is scoring and allowing pretty much the exact amount runs so far this season as DMA is. In Fact, Arch & DMA have a lot of similarities. They both beat Newark in a close games; they both lost to Newark Charter; both lost close games to Conrad. DMA beat Archmere in both games they played each other last year. Danz beat Archmere early in the season throwing a 1 hit, complete game shutout. In the second game, Smith & Kohan shut down Arch 11-3.

Seaford (5-4) @ Delmar (8-2). Seaford is having a great season, especially considering they are coming off back to back 3-win seasons. They are also within striking distance of make a run at the conference title. They are 3-4 in the conference, trailing Delmar (4-2) and Milford (5-2). Seaford plays both over the next couple of weeks. Seaford has been a little inconsistent but they are a scrappy team that can’t be taken lightly. Seaford beat Poly 2-0 and lost to Dover and CR by only a run. But on the flip side they got dominated by IR 9-1 and crushed by Smyrna 17-2. They are a work in progress, but with a senior laden team, they need to get things done this year. Evan Nibblett has been great on the mound. He is 4-0 and has three shutouts, including a 3 hit shutout of Polytech. Seaford can hit the ball some as well, they are averaging scoring almost 7 runs per game. Looking through the stats though, they have scored 41 runs in 3 games…the other 6 games , just 20 runs. Delmar is 8-2. Ironically they have wins over Smyrna and Central, but lost to both Woodbridge and Laurel????? My only knock against them is that in 10 games, they have only played 1 team ranked in the top 20. To put it in perspective, most teams in the top 20 have played at least 3 or 4 games against other top 20 members. In fairness to Delmar, their final 8 games are against 5 top 20 teams (Tech, Cape, Dover, Poly, Milford) and also play Seaford, CR and a good Parkside team. Delmar is tough on both sides of the ball. They are averaging around 10 runs per game at the plate. And with the ball, they have only allowed 22 runs all season. Again looking through the numbers…Delmar gave up 10 runs to Laurel last week. Remove that one game, and Delmar is just allowing 12 runs TOTAL in the other 9 games. Adkins is very good at 2-1 as well as Vonarx. Seaford actually beat Delmar last year 11-7.

Wilmington Christian (4-3) @ Newark Charter (7-2). Wilmington Christian has only played 2 games since April 4th. Both losses to Arch and Tower Hill. WC doesn’t have it easy coming up. They have 2 against NC, two against DMA, Conrad, Archmere…WC is getting decent pitching and defense. They have only allowed 24 runs in 7 games. At the plate is where things need to improve to make a run. They have scored 39 runs this season in 7 games (5.6 per game) which isn’t too shabby, but 26 of those runs were scored in two of the games. So its just 13 runs scored total in the other 5 games. Newark Charter is playing very well. They are 7-2 with wins over Sallies, Archmere, DMA. They lost a close one to St E and in the first game of the season had Appo down 3-1 going into the bottom of the sixth before giving up 4 runs and losing 5-3. 6 of their 9 games were tight games in which they went 4-2. Winners find ways to win games. Newark Charter has a lot of good pitching and can hit the ball. WC will have its hands full against a rising team. NC beat WC twice last season (13-1 and 4-3). Kelby shutdown WC in the first game, while the bats went crazy. Kelby and Chopko pitched well against Rettig, who also pitched well in the second game last year.

St E (6-3) @ Newark (4-7). St E has won five straight games setting themselves up nice for a playoff run. Newark is a decent team. They lost to Arch by 3, Mtown by 1, DMA by 1 and A.I. by 2 runs. All their wins are against weaker teams; Dickinson, WP, Charter and Concord.

Sanford @ Tower Hill. TH has a two game lead in their conference with 4 conference games left.

Appo (9-1) @ Charter (3-7). Charter just got a win over Delcastle to stop its SECOND 3-game losing streak of the season. Charter has struggled to get its three wins over Delcastle, Concord and A.I. They might need a perfect performance to have a shot at Appo. Appo has been off for a week’s rest following their first loss of the season to big rival Mtown. The loss probably means Appo will miss out on its conference crown. Never fear, Appo will certainly make the playoffs and will be one of the favored teams. They have some of the deepest pitching in the state and are averaging about 7 runs per game despite playing one of the tougher schedules in the state so far this year (only Smyrna and Sallies have played more top 10 teams). Appo beat Charter 12-5 last year, but needed 6 runs in the 6th inning to pull away. The year before Appo won 13-0 behind a 3 hitter from Garrett. In 2014 Appo beat them 11-0. In 2013 they split one run games, including Appo winning 2-1 in the playoffs.

William Penn (4-6) @ Mtown (8-1). WP is struggling this year. They have been outscored by 8 runs or more in 4 of their ten games this year. Mtown has won 7 straight games, including a huge 5-4 win over Appo last week. Since their 9-0 loss to Cape, Mtown has been pouring on the runs. Besides the Cape game, they are scoring over 10 runs per game on average. On the mound they have been pretty dominant except for two unusual games. They allowed the 9 to Cape and just recently allowed 10 to St Georges. Not counting those two games, they have only allowed 18 runs in the other 7 games (2.5 runs per game). Mtown has lots of good pitching with Dunn, Wooten, Loper and Keane. At the plate it seems everyone is hitting the ball. I think it could get ugly in this game for Wm Penn, but I’m thinking it might be over quickly.

Milford (6-4) @ IR (4-6). The Henlopen South is getting very interesting. IR has won 3 straight games to make themselves relevant in the conference title talk. A win today over Milford would be huge and could shake up the conference again this year. IR is tied at 3-4 with Seaford in the conference. They are both behind Milford and Delmar with 2 losses each. IR already beat Seaford but lost to Delmar. Milford should be playing in the North. They are 4-1 against the North beating CR, Cape, Central and Tech, losing just to Smyrna. But in the South, Milford is just 1-1 beating Lake, but losing to Laurel. Milford has scored 57 runs and allowed 55 runs this year. Could be interesting.

CR (4-7) @ Smyrna (5-4). CR has won 2 of its last 3. CR is playing its 8th game against a top 20 team this season. That’s tied for the most in the state. Unfortunately they have lost all of those games. Their pitching hasn’t been stellar allowing over 6 runs per game on average. But its their quiet bats that have failed them it seems. They have only scored 34 runs in 11 games. That isn’t going to win a lot of games for you. Smyrna has won 4 of its last 5 games after starting 1-3. They beat Milford, Seaford, Cape and Newark…only losing by 1 to Caravel. Smyrna is in a good spot here in the schedule. They have CR, then St Marks on Saturday. Then Wood Monday and Lake on Tuesday. They really need to grab at least 3 wins through this stretch. They have Poly, Mtown, Central and Tech still to come after that.

Mt P @ Concord. Not sure this one will be worth the price of admission at Frawley. Concord is 1-9 and allowing over 9 runs per game. They have scored 2 runs or less 7 times this year. Mt P had high hopes to start the season. They were looking to build on their 4 straight winning seasons after having 9 straight losing seasons. But a 1-3 start put a damper on things, as did losing 4 of its last 5 games. Mt P has had a tough schedule playing 7 games against top 20 teams, but they have lost all of them. Their final 8 games has numerous winnable games, so they can have a respectable finish. They play Concord, Bwine, Newark, Dickinson, Decastle, Tatnall as well as St E and Conrad.

Dickinson @ Howard. Dickinson has only scored 1 run total in the past 7 games. They have allowed 124 runs in that same time period. Yes that’s 18 runs per game. Yikes.

Brandywine @ Christiana. Brandywine is 1 games of out of the Flight B conference lead. They still have to play Hodgson & St Georges but they have a lot of winnable games in the second half of the season (McKean,Dick,Concord,Tatnall,Delcastle, Friends). Christiana has only scored 2 total runs this season, both were in the same game.

Glasgow @ McKean. Glasgow goes for its 7th straight win and are looking ahead to playing Mtown on Saturday. Besides the game Mckean won over Dickinson, they are allowing over 16 runs per game.

Middletown was up 16-1 on St. George's and pulled the entire starting defense. Multiple errors in one inning and they scored 9 runs. Put starters back in and game ended 18-10.

St. Georges loses 5-0 to Malvern. Not a bad loss, malvern loaded with d1 talent at almost every position on the field. St, Georges saw two high d1 arms and I think this game could really help them going forward in the season

Wow! Looks like Middletown barely survived a let down game today! Anybody know what happen? Who pitched for Middletown? Thought they would be guns blazing to secure FlIght A title. Very odd.

Son played travel ball a little with the kid that closed the game for Malvern named Brady Deveraux. Ridiculous curve ball and around 90 fastball. Following Colin Peluse to Wake Forest next year. As far as the Middletown/WP game today....I think it was a typical game overlooking an opponent and it almost cost them. Multiple fielding errors and a couple of hits and it was 7-2 early. Middletown woke up and had a huge inning culminating with a Jake Walls three run homer to take an 8-7 lead in the 4th. CJ Loper came in an closed it out with a great effort. Good wake up call for Sussex Tech tomorrow.

Last edited:
Wow! Looks like Middletown barely survived a let down game today! Anybody know what happen? Who pitched for Middletown? Thought they would be guns blazing to secure FlIght A title. Very odd.
Keane started today. Wootten going tomorrow.

Cape is going to be a nightmare match up for teams come playoff time. Was at the game and was talking with Cape the kid that threw today was their #3 according to one parent geez.

Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
seaford beat delmar 4-1. jimmy adkins gave up all 4 runs while evan nibblett gave up one run on 3 hits to improve to 5-0

Cape is going to be a nightmare match up for teams come playoff time. Was at the game and was talking with Cape the kid that threw today was their #3 according to one parent geez.

Erickson def not number 3 by any means , I'd go 1A , 1B , 1C , in no particular order and any given day , yes we've struggled but theirs not a team out there that would say I want to play Cape in the playoffs

Reactions: CHS89
Hopefully Wilmington Christian doesn't play on a little league field.

Game played at Newark Charter. They play at Hill Field which is a city owned field that Newark American Little League runs. A very good UD club team also uses the field. It is bigger than the Newark National field that DMA uses.

Game played at Newark Charter. They play at Hill Field which is a city owned field that Newark American Little League runs. A very good UD club team also uses the field. It is bigger than the Newark National field that DMA uses.
Not that it matters at all to me, but Hill isn't much bigger than NNLL. Both are 300' down the lines. Hill is about 365' to CF and NNLL is about 345'.

Hill_CF.JPG

Hill_LF.JPG

Reactions: 84rider
That's pretty cool. I believe there's a sign at Hill for 380. Who knows if they took a correct measurement. Maybe it's right center. I drive past it for work every week and played there a bunch as a kid.

That's been on google Maps for a while now. Just click on home plate to drop a pin, then right click on the pin to "Measure distance". You can even drag the end point around the fence.

Reactions: CHS89
Any chance Hill's fence moved since 1981-82? I swear recalling 375' in gaps and a 408' signs in center, when I played there. Another odd thing I remember was the outfield fence posts were on the inside vice outside of the fence.

Any chance Hill's fence moved since 1981-82? I swear recalling 375' in gaps and a 408' signs in center, when I played there. Another odd thing I remember was the outfield fence posts were on the inside vice outside of the fence.
Well, those houses weren't there in '82... or home plate could have been closer to the intersection back then... or your memory could be as bad as mine.

Reactions: jwb703
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT