ADVERTISEMENT

Games Tuesdays April 5, 2016

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
A lot of good matchups….week 3’s weather is colder than week 1? Go figure… High Temp of 43 with 15-25 mph winds. Not fun. Its ashame because there are some good matchups.

Sallies (3-0) @ Caravel (2-0). GAME OF THE DAY. 7pm. It doesn’t get much better than this early in the season, Sallies and Caravel under the lights. Bring a blankey!. Sallies has started the season winning a dominant performance over a good St Georges team 8-1. Then they battled out an extra innings win over Appo. They followed with a close win, 3-2, over Cardinal Spellman in NY on Saturday. Caravel has had two close games over out of state teams Wm Penn Charter & Roman Catholic. Caravel won a close one in 2015, 4-2 over Sallies behind the pitching of Carney with Fraley getting the save. In 2014, Caravel won a walkoff 5-4 and in 2013 Caravel won a shootout. The last time Sallies won this matchup was in 2012, 8-2. For 2016, Fraley just pitched a 6 inning gem on Saturday so I would expect it to be Carney for this one. Sallies pitched O’neill Saturday, so it would probably be Campbell? I expect another close game between two of the top 5 teams in the state.

Smyrna (3-0) @ Dover (5-0). Game of the day (south of the border). Another battle of two of the top 5 teams in the state and henlopen rivals. Smyrna started out well over two lesser teams from downstate, Delmar and IR, beating them by a combined score of 14-0 with great pitching from Carrow and Barkley giving up only a couple of hits over 12 innings. Then in an epic extra innings game with Appo, Smyrna got a walkoff hit to win the game. Carrow and Barkley have both been rested for a week now, so I’m not sure who would take the mound. Dover has had a great start as well going 5-0. They came out a little slow against Lake needing 6 runs in the top of the final frame to win 7-3. Then two huge wins at the Parkside tournament outscoring their opponents 24-4. Then Lawson pitched a 2 hit, 11k game against a good Poly team to win 3-1. Dover followed that up with a 16-0 win over Laurel. Both teams play a weaker opponent on Thursday, so most likely will be going with their best pitchers for this one. This is a huge Henlopen North game as Dover has 3 wins already in conference and Smyrna with 2. Dover won this matchup in 2015 by a score of 9-5 and in fact I couldn’t find the last time Smyrna beat Dover going back 10 years.

Mt Pleasant (1-1) @ Appo (2-2). Mt P started the season with a HUGE blowout of Dickinson 18-2. Then a 9-4 loss to a good DMA team, but it was basically 7 errors and one bad inning giving up 7 runs. Now after nearly a 2 week rest, Mt P plays its toughest competition yet in Appo. Appo is coming off 2 extra inning losses to top teams. But despite their record, they are probably still one of the best teams in the state. Appo does have three games this week, finishing up with Delcastle Thursday and St Marks on Saturday. I don’t know how much pitcher planning will be a factor, but Garrett is “due” to pitch I would think, with Steckline pitching last Thursday. Mt P snuck out a season ending extra innings win over Appo last year. Appo could come out a little shaky after two disappointing losses and a rain out on saturday, but they could come out with guns blazing. I would be surprised to see Appo lose 3 straight.

Newark Charter (2-1) @ Archmere (2-0). This certainly won’t be a game of the day, but its an up and coming team against a solid Archmere team. Newark Charter started off with a decent game against Appo losing 9-3 but had 4 errors and gave up a 5-run, 3rd inning to Appo. Despite that they played well for their first game. Newark Charter got a win against a weaker Wilmington Charter team 4-2. Then a 1-run win over Tatnall. Archmere has started the season off well with Orzel 3-hitting Newark, then Orzel shutting down a decent Milford team 5-2. Orzel hasn’t pitched in almost a week, so I’m not sure if he will start a 3rd straight game or will they save him for Thursday against St Marks. Newark Charter also has a big game Thursday against Conrad, but I don’t think they can afford to be looking ahead of Archmere.

St Marks (4-0) @ St Elizabeths (2-1). Not sure why in the world St E would schedule 2 games every year against St Marks. I know it’s a rivalry, but jeez, pick a fight with someone else. These two just played last Thursday and St E was 3-hit by Reich, losing 10-0. On a positive note for St E (I guess), St Marks only scored in two different innings, the remainder of the game they shut St Marks down. In 2015 St Marks was the more dominant team blowing St E out in the first game 13-2, but St E actually won the second matchup two games later 4-3. In 2014 St E lost 2 close ones. In 2013, St E swept the regular series winning both games, but St Marks got their revenge on St E, beating them in the Semi Finals of the playoffs.

Cape (2-0) @ Sussex Central (2-1). Another big Henlopen north matchup. Cape is coming off two big wins over pretty decent teams, Milford and Mtown. Gelof and Elliott pitched well against Milford and also had big bats as well. Cape’s Erickson pitched really well against Mtown only allowing 3 hits over 5 innings. Again in that game their pitcher was their best hitter, with Erickson hitting a grandslam. Central started off with a terrible game against Tech getting 10-runned. Central came back and played well in the Parkside tournament getting 2 wins. Central hasn’t played in 10 days, now have a big challenge in Cape. Central also has Sallies coming to visit on Saturday, which would be their 3rd game of the week. Central beat Cape 5-1 last year as well as winning in 2014 and 2013.

Concord (2-1) @ Middletown (2-1). Concord is coming off a 3-15 season and has started out playing well. Concord in their first game had St E scoring 2 in the 6th inning to beat them. Then Concord came from behind to beat Hodgson 8-6 as well as CR 7-5. Concord has stepped up in talent now facing Mtown. In its first 2 games, Mtown had proved very scrappy. Not much on defense as they had given up 18 combined runs to DMA and Tech (in a suspended game). Then they came out and pitched a 3 hitter against a struggling Hodgson team, winning 8-1. Mtown ran into a buzz saw in a Cape team that beat them 12-4. Mtown has 3 games scheduled this week against Concord, Newark , CR and could/should rack up 3 wins. This would be a very big win for Concord and with a favorable schedule on their horizon (Charter, A.I, Friends, Newark), they could get themselves in a good spot half way through the season.

Conrad (3-0) @ Wilmington Christian (1-0). Conrad has beaten 3 weaker opponents (Charter, Dickinson & Bwine), but done so in a big way outscoring them 50-3. Bradigan and Kramedas have been shutting down batters. Wilm Christian came out like gang busters as well opening day and blew out Delmarva 19-0 behind good pitching and hot bats. But Wilm Chr hasn’t played in 14 days. Not sure if they will be hot, cold or rusty from that kind of layoff. Conrad has won the last 6 meetings.

DMA (3-1) @ Dickinson (0-3). Dickinson has given up 42 runs in its first 3 games. DMA should probably have a quick day.

Woodbridge (2-0) @ Delmar (1-1). Wood has started the season off well with a big win against Seaford and at the time a big upset over Tech 4-1. Avery pitched well in both games going 2-0 for the season. Delmar ran into some good pitching against Smyrna only getting 2 hits but only gave up 4 runs off 3 hits to a very good Smyrna team losing 4-0. Then Delmar beat Wicomico pretty handily 9-3. Adkins pitched well in both games.

CR (1-3) @ Tech (1-2). CR is struggling to start the season. Losing close games to Milford and Concord, barely beating Seaford and getting blown out by St Marks. Tech started the season as a preseason top 5 prediction, and in their first game substantiated that with a 10-run win against Central. Then a back and forth 10-10 game with Mtown that was suspended by darkness seemed to do something to Tech. They lost 2 straight games. First only getting 2 hits at home against Wood, then losing by walk-off fashion to Newark. Now after a week off, Tech is back playing. Fortunately they have CR & IR, two winnable games this week. Their next three includes a big matchup in Dover, then followed by struggling Wm Penn and Laurel. Tech could shake things off and build lots of steam and momentum going into the second half of the season.

Glasgow (2-1) @ Polytech (3-1). Glasgow falls to flight B this season and has a very favorable schedule, but before that they have 2 tough games here against Poly and Thursday against St Georges. Glasgow came from behind to beat A.I. 8-4. The next game they 10-run ruled Wm Penn. Against DMA, Glasgow gave up a 4-run 2nd inning to DMA and with Danz on the mound they couldn’t come back from that inning losing 5-2. This will be a tough and challenging week. But after that, they play Howard, Bwine, Christiana, Sanford, Mckean twice, Dickinson, St Thomas More and Delmarva Christian. They really shouldn’t lose any of those games. Poly has whipped up on IR 23-12, Lake 11-1 & Charter 14-0. Not sure what happen with giving up 12 to IR, but Rivera was pretty dominant against Lake and Charter. Haas pitched great against Dover but Poly losing 3-1. Poly is a good team, Glasgow would have to play its best game to stay in it in this one.

Last edited:
I think it will be Robino for Sallies against Caravel. Campbell just pitched on Saturday I believe.

A lot of good matchups….week 3’s weather is colder than week 1? Go figure… High Temp of 43 with 15-25 mph winds. Not fun. Its ashame because there are some good matchups.

Sallies (3-0) @ Caravel (2-0). GAME OF THE DAY. 7pm. It doesn’t get much better than this early in the season, Sallies and Caravel under the lights. Bring a blankey!. Sallies has started the season winning a dominant performance over a good St Georges team 8-1. Then they battled out an extra innings win over Appo. They followed with a close win, 3-2, over Cardinal Spellman in NY on Saturday. Caravel has had two close games over out of state teams Wm Penn Charter & Roman Catholic. Caravel won a close one in 2015, 4-2 over Sallies behind the pitching of Carney with Fraley getting the save. In 2014, Caravel won a walkoff 5-4 and in 2013 Caravel won a shootout. The last time Sallies won this matchup was in 2012, 8-2. For 2016, Fraley just pitched a 6 inning gem on Saturday so I would expect it to be Carney for this one. Sallies pitched O’neill Saturday, so it would probably be Campbell? I expect another close game between two of the top 5 teams in the state.

Smyrna (3-0) @ Dover (5-0). Game of the day (south of the border). Another battle of two of the top 5 teams in the state and henlopen rivals. Smyrna started out well over two lesser teams from downstate, Delmar and IR, beating them by a combined score of 14-0 with great pitching from Carrow and Barkley giving up only a couple of hits over 12 innings. Then in an epic extra innings game with Appo, Smyrna got a walkoff hit to win the game. Carrow and Barkley have both been rested for a week now, so I’m not sure who would take the mound. Dover has had a great start as well going 5-0. They came out a little slow against Lake needing 6 runs in the top of the final frame to win 7-3. Then two huge wins at the Parkside tournament outscoring their opponents 24-4. Then Lawson pitched a 2 hit, 11k game against a good Poly team to win 3-1. Dover followed that up with a 16-0 win over Laurel. Both teams play a weaker opponent on Thursday, so most likely will be going with their best pitchers for this one. This is a huge Henlopen North game as Dover has 3 wins already in conference and Smyrna with 2. Dover won this matchup in 2015 by a score of 9-5 and in fact I couldn’t find the last time Smyrna beat Dover going back 10 years.

Mt Pleasant (1-1) @ Appo (2-2). Mt P started the season with a HUGE blowout of Dickinson 18-2. Then a 9-4 loss to a good DMA team, but it was basically 7 errors and one bad inning giving up 7 runs. Now after nearly a 2 week rest, Mt P plays its toughest competition yet in Appo. Appo is coming off 2 extra inning losses to top teams. But despite their record, they are probably still one of the best teams in the state. Appo does have three games this week, finishing up with Delcastle Thursday and St Marks on Saturday. I don’t know how much pitcher planning will be a factor, but Garrett is “due” to pitch I would think, with Steckline pitching last Thursday. Mt P snuck out a season ending extra innings win over Appo last year. Appo could come out a little shaky after two disappointing losses and a rain out on saturday, but they could come out with guns blazing. I would be surprised to see Appo lose 3 straight.

Newark Charter (2-1) @ Archmere (2-0). This certainly won’t be a game of the day, but its an up and coming team against a solid Archmere team. Newark Charter started off with a decent game against Appo losing 9-3 but had 4 errors and gave up a 5-run, 3rd inning to Appo. Despite that they played well for their first game. Newark Charter got a win against a weaker Wilmington Charter team 4-2. Then a 1-run win over Tatnall. Archmere has started the season off well with Orzel 3-hitting Newark, then Orzel shutting down a decent Milford team 5-2. Orzel hasn’t pitched in almost a week, so I’m not sure if he will start a 3rd straight game or will they save him for Thursday against St Marks. Newark Charter also has a big game Thursday against Conrad, but I don’t think they can afford to be looking ahead of Archmere.

St Marks (4-0) @ St Elizabeths (2-1). Not sure why in the world St E would schedule 2 games every year against St Marks. I know it’s a rivalry, but jeez, pick a fight with someone else. These two just played last Thursday and St E was 3-hit by Reich, losing 10-0. On a positive note for St E (I guess), St Marks only scored in two different innings, the remainder of the game they shut St Marks down. In 2015 St Marks was the more dominant team blowing St E out in the first game 13-2, but St E actually won the second matchup two games later 4-3. In 2014 St E lost 2 close ones. In 2013, St E swept the regular series winning both games, but St Marks got their revenge on St E, beating them in the Semi Finals of the playoffs.

Cape (2-0) @ Sussex Central (2-1). Another big Henlopen north matchup. Cape is coming off two big wins over pretty decent teams, Milford and Mtown. Gelof and Elliott pitched well against Milford and also had big bats as well. Cape’s Erickson pitched really well against Mtown only allowing 3 hits over 5 innings. Again in that game their pitcher was their best hitter, with Erickson hitting a grandslam. Central started off with a terrible game against Tech getting 10-runned. Central came back and played well in the Parkside tournament getting 2 wins. Central hasn’t played in 10 days, now have a big challenge in Cape. Central also has Sallies coming to visit on Saturday, which would be their 3rd game of the week. Central beat Cape 5-1 last year as well as winning in 2014 and 2013.

Concord (2-1) @ Middletown (2-1). Concord is coming off a 3-15 season and has started out playing well. Concord in their first game had St E scoring 2 in the 6th inning to beat them. Then Concord came from behind to beat Hodgson 8-6 as well as CR 7-5. Concord has stepped up in talent now facing Mtown. In its first 2 games, Mtown had proved very scrappy. Not much on defense as they had given up 18 combined runs to DMA and Tech (in a suspended game). Then they came out and pitched a 3 hitter against a struggling Hodgson team, winning 8-1. Mtown ran into a buzz saw in a Cape team that beat them 12-4. Mtown has 3 games scheduled this week against Concord, Newark , CR and could/should rack up 3 wins. This would be a very big win for Concord and with a favorable schedule on their horizon (Charter, A.I, Friends, Newark), they could get themselves in a good spot half way through the season.

Conrad (3-0) @ Wilmington Christian (1-0). Conrad has beaten 3 weaker opponents (Charter, Dickinson & Bwine), but done so in a big way outscoring them 50-3. Bradigan and Kramedas have been shutting down batters. Wilm Christian came out like gang busters as well opening day and blew out Delmarva 19-0 behind good pitching and hot bats. But Wilm Chr hasn’t played in 14 days. Not sure if they will be hot, cold or rusty from that kind of layoff. Conrad has won the last 6 meetings.

DMA (3-1) @ Dickinson (0-3). Dickinson has given up 42 runs in its first 3 games. DMA should probably have a quick day.

Woodbridge (2-0) @ Delmar (1-1). Wood has started the season off well with a big win against Seaford and at the time a big upset over Tech 4-1. Avery pitched well in both games going 2-0 for the season. Delmar ran into some good pitching against Smyrna only getting 2 hits but only gave up 4 runs off 3 hits to a very good Smyrna team losing 4-0. Then Delmar beat Wicomico pretty handily 9-3. Adkins pitched well in both games.

CR (1-3) @ Tech (1-2). CR is struggling to start the season. Losing close games to Milford and Concord, barely beating Seaford and getting blown out by St Marks. Tech started the season as a preseason top 5 prediction, and in their first game substantiated that with a 10-run win against Central. Then a back and forth 10-10 game with Mtown that was suspended by darkness seemed to do something to Tech. They lost 2 straight games. First only getting 2 hits at home against Wood, then losing by walk-off fashion to Newark. Now after a week off, Tech is back playing. Fortunately they have CR & IR, two winnable games this week. Their next three includes a big matchup in Dover, then followed by struggling Wm Penn and Laurel. Tech could shake things off and build lots of steam and momentum going into the second half of the season.

Glasgow (2-1) @ Polytech (3-1). Glasgow falls to flight B this season and has a very favorable schedule, but before that they have 2 tough games here against Poly and Thursday against St Georges. Glasgow came from behind to beat A.I. 8-4. The next game they 10-run ruled Wm Penn. Against DMA, Glasgow gave up a 4-run 2nd inning to DMA and with Danz on the mound they couldn’t come back from that inning losing 5-2. This will be a tough and challenging week. But after that, they play Howard, Bwine, Christiana, Sanford, Mckean twice, Dickinson, St Thomas More and Delmarva Christian. They really shouldn’t lose any of those games. Poly has whipped up on IR 23-12, Lake 11-1 & Charter 14-0. Not sure what happen with giving up 12 to IR, but Rivera was pretty dominant against Lake and Charter. Haas pitched great against Dover but Poly losing 3-1. Poly is a good team, Glasgow would have to play its best game to stay in it in this one.

Delmarva Christian beat Christiana 31-1. YIKES. When your team gets TRIPLE 10-run ruled by a team that just previously got beat 19-0, it might be time to reconsider participating. WOW. Christiana has given up 73 runs in 3 games to three traditionally weak teams (Delcastle, St Andrews and Delmarva). Whats going to happen when they get to St Georges, Glasgow & Poly.

Reactions: SussexCountyFair
No idea what I was thinking when I called Glasgow beating Polytech. I was in attendance and the score got of been a lot worse if Polytech hadn't taken out their starters. Polytech hit around twice in the first inning. They can hit I really underestimated them as a whole. Now for Glasgow their infield wasn't even that bad warming up but their shortstop was ejected for arguing with the umpire. Both teams made three errors. Polytech's 3rd baseman made all 3 of them, did bounce back and made a nice play. Glasgow isn't what I expected it to be.

SCF.... Yeah, i thought Glasgow would put up a little fight but i figured they were outclassed. Poly is a good, top 10 team for sure, while Glasgow is a more average team that will have to fight to get into the playoffs.

SCF, In the spirit of high school sports forum etiquette... although we usually give "attaboys" for pitching and hitting performances, we seldom spotlight who committed errors in the wonderful TEAM game of baseball. I don't know how others feel about it, but I found myself cringing when I read that sentence in your post. Perhaps, I am too sensitive for the kids who strap-up and enter the sports arenas for the entertainment of the rest of us, the admiration and respect of their teammates, the approval of Dads and coaches, the honor of...oops, there goes the stirring music and flag waving in the background. I'll climb down off of the soapbox now!

Reactions: TouchThemAll
I understand I meant no disrespect to the player. I probably shouldn't of said all that but he did bounce back and made a really good play. I also believe he started out and threw a really good two innings haha.

Reactions: youjustme
Delmarva Christian beat Christiana 31-1. YIKES. When your team gets TRIPLE 10-run ruled by a team that just previously got beat 19-0, it might be time to reconsider participating. WOW. Christiana has given up 73 runs in 3 games to three traditionally weak teams (Delcastle, St Andrews and Delmarva). Whats going to happen when they get to St Georges, Glasgow & Poly.

Nobody benefits from a game like that. It looks good in the stats column but thats about it. Those other teams mentioned should roll up 25 deep in pregame warmups and then start their JV kids or let their starters play 2 innings & then pull them.

I'm sure Delmarva Christian probably thought that Christiana would be a close game. They seem pretty evenly matched. Looks like Delmarva Christian's roster has a lot of 9th and 10th graders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT