ADVERTISEMENT

Gate's Quarterfinal Round Picks

ReturnOfTheGate

All-Conference
Mar 13, 2018
8-0 last weekend and why not - it was a pretty easy weekend to pick. Not as easy this time around, especially with the wind likely slowing down a few passing gameplans around the state, and 1A jumps into the fray this weekend.

1A

No. 1 Laurel vs. No. 8 Odessa
- The Mighty Ducks of MOT are the first new high school in the history of the state tournament to make the playoffs in their first year, something unimaginable under the old format. This will be a learning experience for them as Laurel has all the tools to win their first state title of any kind since 1991. Bulldogs 35, Ducks 6

No. 2 St. Elizabeth vs. No. 7 Wilmington Charter
- A rematch from the Force's homecoming where St. E danced all over their field, look for the Vikings to do the same at the Ab this go round. Long term health of Quasim Benson is big for St. E's title hopes, but they can afford to sit him out another week tonight. Vikings 32, Force 7

No. 3 Tatnall vs. No. 6 Seaford
- This one gives me pause. The Hornets looked good during their 6-game winning streak, then got blasted by Tower Hill to close the regular season. Seaford looked terrible against Laurel and IR, but beat everyone else in front of them (even though the ECHS games should only count as one). Bus ride blues might hamper Seaford, but can Tatnall prove they're the six-game winning streak Hornets or will those guys that showed up vs. St. E/Tower Hill be on display? Hornets 27, Blue Jays 21

No. 4 St. Andrew's vs. No. 5 Indian River
- It's easy to pick Indian River because they played Laurel/St. E close as anyone's played them all season. Still, St. Andrew's has an offense capable of putting the pressure on IR, although the chill in the air the forecast calls for might alter their gameplay. This is the other game that could go either way in 1A. IR 31, Cardinals 27

2A

No. 1 Archmere vs. No. 8 St. Mark's
- A Spartans playoff win over Howard does wonders for their confidence, but Archmere has many and varied weapons to beat a team, most notably quarterback Chris Albero, who leads likely the first air raid Auks offense of my lifetime. St. Mark's defense is going to have to be on high alert and not turn the ball over, which has been their bugaboo all season. Auks 30, Spartans 17

No. 2 Woodbridge vs. No. 7 Tower Hill
- the artists formerly known as the Chickenhawks didn't have a choice in scheduling this year and aside from a couple of games, have looked like they've belonged against teams they didn't want to see in the past. That likely comes to an end in Bridgeville as the Blue Raiders are probably as close to a complete team as anyone in 2A. Just gotta watch out for that tricky single wing. Blue Raiders 26, Hillers 7

No. 3 Friends vs. No. 6 Delmar
- Delmar looked bad in their season opener against Friends, but November's a different season and as we've seen in years past under Dave Hearn, Wildcats South is good for a surprise run to the semis/title game every other season or so. Friends has to be careful, but with a versatile offense and plenty of guys who can make a play on said offense, they should win this one, though it'll be closer than it was in September. Quakers 28, Wildcats 20

No. 4 Caravel vs. No. 5 DMA
- The Buccaneers' defense is rivaled by only Woodbridge's in 2A, but their offense worries me to an extent. That's not a problem for DMA, who took out their frustrations on Concord last Friday. One to three big plays could win this game for DMA and of course with the talent they have on the offensive side of the ball, that could be anyone on any given play. Seahawks 21, Buccaneers 10

3A

No. 1 Smyrna vs. No. 8 William Penn
- The Colonials have talent on both sides of the ball, but can make mistakes at crucial times. Against an Eagles team that doesn't work by the hour, that could be disastrous. Not sure there's a game plan that can keep Smyrna's offense from exploding, but Penn can do themselves a favor by not giving up a ton of field position. Maybe. Eagles 37, Colonials 17

No. 2 Middletown vs. No. 7 Appoquinimink
- Took over a decade, but we have our first battle of Middletown playoff game. Appo plays with intensity and heart, but they'll need the Cavaliers' talent to have a complete night off to have a shot. Then again, that's why they play the games. Cavaliers 34, Jaguars 14

No. 3 Salesianum vs. No. 6 Sussex Central
- Sallies has been more willing to open up the offense this year, but this is run the ball weather and few teams can rival the Golden Knights' run defense, even in a down year. Having a week off certainly helps the Sals, but Central will be ready. Sals 17, Golden Knights 13

No. 4 St. Georges vs. No. 5 Dover
- The Senators won an entertaining 21-14 game at St. Georges back in September, but can lightning strike in the same place twice? The Hawks have beef on both lines and running backs who can pick up yardages in pieces or all at once. This feels like whoever starts fastest or best will come away with the win. Hawks 35, Senators 31

Last edited:
Sallies plays terrible after an open date. SC could return the favor of the drubbing they got in September.

I just saw in the Delaware State News this morning that the 302 Sports guy (Glenn Frazer) picks Sussex Central to win this game. There are some Big S fans out there that believe that this group is underachieving.

I just saw in the Delaware State News this morning that the 302 Sports guy (Glenn Frazer) picks Sussex Central to win this game. There are some Big S fans out there that believe that this group is underachieving.

One thing have have noticed about Sals is the QB play (offense) has not been as effective lately. Earlier in the year it seemed the QB was running RPO well with a good mix of handing it off and keeping it as well was he was excellent at keeping the play alive with his feet and finding targets down field.

The last couple games I saw, the QB has been keeping it and running just about every play and on passing plays it's seems at the first sign of pressure or if the first option isn't wide open he takes off running. I don't know if this is what he was told to do or by design. Is the RB injured or something because it really looks like the QB is trying to do everything?

One thing have have noticed about Sals is the QB play (offense) has not been as effective lately. Earlier in the year it seemed the QB was running RPO well with a good mix of handing it off and keeping it as well was he was excellent at keeping the play alive with his feet and finding targets down field.

The last couple games I saw, the QB has been keeping it and running just about every play and on passing plays it's seems at the first sign of pressure or if the first option isn't wide open he takes off running. I don't know if this is what he was told to do or by design. Is the RB injured or something because it really looks like the QB is trying to do everything?

Sallies QBs could play lights out but if their linemen on both sides don’t maintain pre snap discipline, the penalties will doom them. Seems to me this year has been especially bad in that area

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
With the weather predicted this weekend, cold and wind, may force a lot of teams to a running game so I think Sallies and SC will be closer but I think the Sals still come out with the win.

I agree that the SC and Sals game will be much closer than the first time. SC had 5-6 starters missing for that game and most were in the secondary. Should be a good one.

Sallies will win easily

28-6 Sals

Fan, there have been some good points made here that seem to create a favorable environment for SC. If the Slowskys play like they did against Appo they are toast…. A lot of low IQ penalties… many dropped passes..poor tackling.…No run game except for the desperation runs by the QB…plus Appo was able to move the ball against them. Also, Sals also got some favorable calls.

One thing the Sals have in their favor is SC’s long bus ride...the winner gets a one week stay of execution…

Reactions: proudscfan
Fan, there have been some good points made here that seem to create a favorable environment for SC. If the Slowskys play like they did against Appo they are toast…. A lot of low IQ penalties… many dropped passes..poor tackling.…No run game except for the desperation runs by the QB…plus Appo was able to move the ball against them. Also, Sals also got some favorable calls.

One thing the Sals have in their favor is SC’s long bus ride...the winner gets a one week stay of execution…

Sals dominated the LOS in the 1st game. I don’t see that changing tomorrow night. Besides Smyrna nobody from the old Hen North is really that good. Sals win tomorrow and then it’s basketball season for the Sals.

Been hearing a lot of chatter today that championships will be held at UD on Saturday. On what Class games will be played when hasn’t been Murmured yet.

I imagine it would have to be like 11a, 3p, 6p, 8p, but I heard the unified games take like 90 minutes and I imagine a 9pm start would be too late so I wonder if they would have to do a 10 am start and one of the 1A downstate teams that make it would have to come and spend a night in a hotel on Friday night for a 10am start. Even for an 11 am start laurel or Indian River would have to probably leave at like 7 or 730 because that would have to be an almost 2 hour bus ride

Unified take a little over an hour so working backwards maybe 7, 4, 2, 11 with the unified at 2

11 should end around 1:30, unified 3-315, 4 ends around 6:30. Assuming no big delays or OT

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT