ADVERTISEMENT

Henlopen Conference Coach of the Year voting....

Feb 25, 2019
For Coach Steph Wilson not to win Henlopen Coach of the Year is an absolute joke!!!
In 2017-18 he had a record of 9-11....2018-19 they go 20-0...but he's not the Coach of the Year? Wow what a joke. Honestly if coaches are unable to vote without bias then maybe the media should handle the voting.

I've seen this time and time again..... This voting for my buddy stuff needs to stop!!!

Best of luck to Dover High School basketball players and coaches in the tournament.

This can't be real. It just can't be. The man was 20-0. I thought he should have been fired 4 years ago so definitely not on his wagon but he went 20-0. Thats a very difficult accomplishment.

If this is determined by henlopen coaches voting they need to be ashamed of themselves. Straight up PATHETIC.

For Coach Steph Wilson not to win Henlopen Coach of the Year is an absolute joke!!!
In 2017-18 he had a record of 9-11....2018-19 they go 20-0...but he's not the Coach of the Year? Wow what a joke. Honestly if coaches are unable to vote without bias then maybe the media should handle the voting.

I've seen this time and time again..... This voting for my buddy stuff needs to stop!!!

Best of luck to Dover High School basketball players and coaches in the tournament.
Why are we surprised it happens all the time 2013/2014 it happened to Marvin Morris at Woodbridge he by far was the best coach in the conference beat Cr twice with in a week once in the regular season and the other in the conference championship game. Guess won the Henlopen coach of the Year? Freeman Williams. His record was 14-6 the year before. Finished that year with a 17-3 record. 2015/2016 it happened to Big John Pierce at Polytech He was 19-1 in the regular season , ran the table in the Henlopen Conference no loses. Had the toughest route to the finals and got to the final. Oh yea his record the year before was 7-13 and Milford Coach got it that year. So it happens.

Devils advocate here not saying I agree with pick BUT other than being 21-0 with a team that was picked to win the conference, what if there’s a coach that had nothing going into the season that actually coached his team into making the tournament. What I’m saying is that it’s not always about wins and loses. If we are looking at pure stats then Bones should be POY hands down not even close but in a previous thread we all had a lot of disagreements about it. The ST team made a great run this season with his best player,Kane, out for much of the season, is he any less deserving? There are two sides to on a coin, just asking if we are missing something or is record the only contributing factor.

@84rider while I agree with your theory I have to remind you that Dover was under 500 last year. To go from under 500 to undefeated is definitely coach of the year. No way around it.

What they did was purely disrespectful. I wasnt rooting for them but I am now. I hope Dover wins it all.

That tells me the coaches in the Henlopen Conference don't respect him or he done something that rubbed the coaches the wrong way

@84rider while I agree with your theory I have to remind you that Dover was under 500 last year. To go from under 500 to undefeated is definitely coach of the year. No way around it.

What they did was purely disrespectful. I wasnt rooting for them but I am now. I hope Dover wins it all.

Both EA’s were sophomores last year, Peace & Magee were supposed to be back along with Spencer, they were always going to be really good this year. Let me put it this way, was anyone surprised where Dover is this season, I’m not. So my question is, what has Dover done different this year but imo is win like we thought they would. Nothing against Dover, I hope one of the three Henny teams wins it all.

Last edited:
I think LLhoops.com was extremely surprised. He ranked Dover #11 for this season. I believe many expected them to be above .500 but not undefeated. I don’t think anyone expected that!

Obviously above.500, stop it, agree not undefeated.

Just looked back midstate sports had Dover # 4 in November and Delaware online had Dover #2 on December 3rd, other then being undefeated they have not surprised anyone except you

Totally agree Wilson definitely deserves COY. Same thing happens every year. Saw it last year in girls basketball where they gave it to the Tatnall coach. If the other coaches are threatened by a coach they won’t vote for them. COY in a conference or in the state has become a joke. Sad but very true.

Look imo the odds say Dover and Sanford have the best shot at winning it all, probably 90 % of us, at least agree on that. Sure everyone likes to pick the upset specials that makes any playoff both emotional and exciting. That’s why we do brackets and some claim to be brackcologist lol. I personally don’t think there is that much animosity among rival coaches in the Henlopen conference. I know or have spoken to at least 4 of them over the course of the last couple of years. Most are very passionate about basketball and sports in general. We have to accept life isn’t always fair especially when you’re alumni, parents or fans. Congrats to the COY and Dover has a great chance to be the Team of the year, I’m pretty sure Dover’s coach would rather take the chip.

Coach of the year for girls was a much harder vote. Lake and Cape would get my vote bc of how far they have come. Both were under .500 and neither lost 5 games this year.

WB was 16-4. Great accomplishment going undefeated but Cape and Lake took further strides. Especially Cape winning 1st conference chip in a decade+

Reactions: 84rider
20-0 is a heck of a accomplishment and for the coach not to get nod is no knock against him it’s just that the voting committee didn’t way the outcome on wins and losses I’m thinking they went off the overall outcome of the teams and I believe everybody excepted Dover to be really good so no one were shocked

Well I guess Steph shouldn’t even be on the ballot next year then considering that he’ll have his core back & can’t improve on a 20-0 regular season. No knock on Lake’s Coach Starkey cuz he has always done more w/ less though. And to think that if Lake beats Christiana tonight then they’ll be heading right back to Dover again Thursday night where those 2 will meet again...should make it a little more interesting but gotta expect the same result.

And yes, there is absolutely some hate towards certain coaches in those meetings who simply refuse to vote for certain other coaches. This happens even with the kids as well which is even more ridiculous.

Last edited:
Whether you expected Dover to win out or not, no one expected an undefeated season. As talented as any team may be, the players do not coach themselves. Some might argue that Wilson has those guys playing street ball and that’s simply untrue. If anything, I think he over coaches rather than sit back and let those boys do whatever. This guy will call a timeout in the fourth quarter with a couple minutes left in the game and up by 20+ points just to coach these guys. He was the most deserving of the COY award this year. Nonetheless, he will not shed any tears over it. He will just use it as fuel for the next few games. Sometimes, a little unfairness raises the level of coaching and play by those who have been dealt unfairly. With that, I hope Dover plays Lake again on Thursday. It will be like the “Thrilla In Manila.”

Whether you expected Dover to win out or not, no one expected an undefeated season. As talented as any team may be, the players do not coach themselves. Some might argue that Wilson has those guys playing street ball and that’s simply untrue. If anything, I think he over coaches rather than sit back and let those boys do whatever. This guy will call a timeout in the fourth quarter with a couple minutes left in the game and up by 20+ points just to coach these guys. He was the most deserving of the COY award this year. Nonetheless, he will not shed any tears over it. He will just use it as fuel for the next few games. Sometimes, a little unfairness raises the level of coaching and play by those who have been dealt unfairly. With that, I hope Dover plays Lake again on Thursday. It will be like the “Thrilla In Manila.”
Well I guess Steph shouldn’t even be on the ballot next year then considering that he’ll have his core back & can’t improve on a 20-0 regular season. No knock on Lake’s Coach Starkey cuz he has always done more w/ less though. And to think that if Lake beats Christiana tonight then they’ll be heading right back to Dover again Thursday night where those 2 will meet again...should make it a little more interesting but gotta expect the same result.

And yes, there is absolutely some hate towards certain coaches in those meetings who simply refuse to vote for certain other coaches. This happens even with the kids as well which is even more ridiculous.
He might not get it next year if someone like Milford coach has a good record in the North lol, but I think he deserves it. Yes hate is all over that voting room. I bet Dover Cr and Smyrna didn't vote for Pierce when he was running threw the conference. Sometimes people's handshake's don't match there smile.

Reactions: moneyballforme
Guess its a joke. I wonder how he votes when its his time to vote. Maybe its Karma hmmmmm..

What do you think about the coach of the year being determined by a committee? Made up of individuals who are not voting based upon their feelings....Maybe this group would include --sports writers, an official, and maybe retired coaches/AD's.... This would eliminate the foolishness of voting or not voting based upon your dislike for someone....based solely on the coaches body of work. Thoughts??

Reactions: SPARTAN00
What do you think about the coach of the year being determined by a committee? Made up of individuals who are not voting based upon their feelings....Maybe this group would include --sports writers, an official, and maybe retired coaches/AD's.... This would eliminate the foolishness of voting or not voting based upon your dislike for someone....based solely on the coaches body of work. Thoughts??
I agree because I found out that some of these dudes that coach these young men of ours are real sensitive.

Let me get this right... Dover returned 2 starters from last year’s 9-11 team and went 20-0 this year (first undefeated season in Delaware in 24 years) and there coach doesn’t get conference coach of the year. Not only does that warrant Conference but also State Coach of the year.

Last edited:
Let me get this right... Dover returned 2 starters from last year’s 9-11 team and went 20-0 this year (first undefeated season in Delaware in 24 years) and there coach doesn’t get conference coach of the year. Not only does that warrant Conference but also State Coach of the year.
Maybe he will get state Coach Of The Year

PIERCE AT POLY WAS 7-13 IN 2014,,IN 2015 WENT 19-1 IN REGULAR SEASON NO IN STATE LOSSES, BEAT MILFORD IN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, DREW EVERYBODY IN PLAYOFFS,HAD TO BEAT HOWARD,CONCORD,SANFORD TO GET TO CHAMPIONSHIP GAME LOST TO SALLIES IN CHIP FINISHED 23-2

Just saying Dover gets caught by Glasgow and we see why he was not voted coach of the year. I'm calling it now!
I'm calling "BULLSH_T" now...Glasgow better be worried about William Penn, Mount & Caravel down there in that bottom bracket to even get to the Final 4. I don't see Christiana, St. E's or St. Mark's beating Dover. Dover might ban you from their games after this post/prediction...LoL

And even if that happens you are saying that 1 loss in an entire season means that you should not be COY??? Tough crowd...smh

I'm calling "BULLSH_T" now...Glasgow better be worried about William Penn, Mount & Caravel down there in that bottom bracket to even get to the Final 4. I don't see Christiana, St. E's or St. Mark's beating Dover. Dover might ban you from their games after this post/prediction...LoL

And even if that happens you are saying that 1 loss in an entire season means that you should not be COY??? Tough crowd...smh
No threat for Dover .. Easy way to title game.. All's Sanford have to do is get threw there side of bracket.. To be honest .. No teams upstate are good .. Not Glasgow or Caravel.. Only team stands in the way is Sanford...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT