ADVERTISEMENT

Lets talk playoffs! Round 1...

Chill44

Good all around Player
Jul 15, 2012
Each round we will discuss match-ups, predictions and players. I'm a down state guy who hasn't seen many upstate teams this year as I now live outside of the 1st state. This post is specifically for the 1st round games....

#24 Tatnall vs #9 Delcastle (Winner gets #8 Delmarva Christian)

#23 Dickinson vs #10: Woodbridge (Winner gets #7 Mount P)

#22 Lake Forest vs #11: Middletown (Winner gets #6 Sallies)

#21 Sussex Tech vs #12: Caravel (Winner gets #5 Appo)

#20 Newark Charter vs #13 CR (Winner gets #4 Laurel)

#19 Seaford vs #14 Hodgson (Winner gets #3 Dover)

#18 St Andrews vs #15 Smyrna (Winner gets #2 William Penn)

#17 Tower Hill vs #16: St E's (Winner gets 1 #Sanford)

My picks:

Delcastle over Tatnall
Woodbridge over Dickinson
Lake over Middletown
Tech over Caravel
CR over Newark charter
Hodgeson over Seaford
Smyrna over St. As
St. Es over tower Hill

Thoughts:
Woodbridge vs Dickinson is the toughest game to choose. Woodbridge has been inconsistent this year and Dickinson has been playing good ball. This game could go either way. Woodbridge is led by Kane and Roach but they will need the young guys to make a deep run.

Tech vs Caravel is another toss up game for me that will most likely be a close one. Tech starts five seniors and they wont go down without a fight.

My upset pick of the week is Lake over Middletown. Middletown is hot coming into the tournament but Lake is led by a group of seniors who are hungry to win!

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Ballaholic
I saw Dickinson for the 3rd time this past Saturday and they've gotten better with team play even if the results haven't shown it. Harrigan is a quick guard with handles who can create at will so WB's guards should be very wary of him. Ewell didn't start Saturday for some reason, so I imagine that may be something to look out for as well.

My kinda sorta upset pick would be Tower over St. E. Vikings fell off a cliff after that hot start, Tower's guards are really good and neither team has serious size, so it should be an equal match-up.

Reactions: Chill44
Tatnall is a strange team. I think they're better than a 24 seed, but they seem to disappear at times. This has the potential for an upset. Banks and Bryce Flowers can take over games. They aren't that big inside, but if those two are on, that is a difficult opponent.

If they could ever keep their young guys, the Hornets would be a force.

Reactions: Chill44
After going down 32-30 at half, MDT upped their defensive pressure in the 3rd quarter...Lake struggled with the intensity....and lost their poise.

MDT outscores LF 41-24 in second half.

Couple of random thoughts. If MDT plays like they plays against Salesianum the way they played in second half against Lake, they beat the Sals.

I do not know Middletown's coach. He was impressive.

Can't make any of tomorrow's games. Have a group session.

I was at Delcastle/Tatnall last night and from the beginning, that young team acted like they belonged and it showed. Delcastle's inability to create offense and make an outside shot doomed them, as well as Tatnall forcing them to play their style of ball (slow down). Haven't seen Delmarva Christian to say they can do it again (and of course, there's Bummy's bus ride curse) but if Anthony Wright can keep those young kids at Tatnall, next year could be very interesting.

Crazy that Sanford is able to host a playoff game
Only this round. They will have to find another home for the quarterfinals. I think the same will be true of their girls. They have Ursuline on Friday, then will likely be hunting for a home court for the quarters.

Only this round. They will have to find another home for the quarterfinals. I think the same will be true of their girls. They have Ursuline on Friday, then will likely be hunting for a home court for the quarters.
They shouldn’t be able to host any round l. It sucks but it’s the playoffs. A lot of kids playing their last game. Should have to show up hours in advance just to get the chance to see your kid play.

According to the Sanford Facebook page the boy's game will be at Sallies @ 1 p.m.

Obviously, St. Andrew's also will have to find a new home. I don't know how many of you have been to their beautiful campus, but the gym probably has seating for 150 people, plus another 100 can watch from upstairs. Appo is hosting on Saturday, so that's out. Maybe they'll head over to St. Georges. Sallies-Sanford was there last year.

Obviously, St. Andrew's also will have to find a new home. I don't know how many of you have been to their beautiful campus, but the gym probably has seating for 150 people, plus another 100 can watch from upstairs. Appo is hosting on Saturday, so that's out. Maybe they'll head over to St. Georges. Sallies-Sanford was there last year.
its an ugly campus

According to their Twitter page (SASDelaware) they will be at Middletown HS, game at 1.

Reactions: Hoopsdownstate5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT