ADVERTISEMENT

Mid-Atlantic Pigskin Classic

BackinBlack86

Top 100 Prospect
Oct 5, 2018
Held at Abessinio Stadium.. Labor Day weekend.. Seems like some pretty good games if not interesting. I wasn't sure they would pull this off..

2023 Game Schedule

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Game 1 HVT(DE) vs Howard(DE) 3:30 pm

Game 2 Salesianum School (DE) vs. Delaware Military Academy (DE) 7:30 PM

Friday, September 1, 2023

Game 3 Northeast High School (PA) vs. West Catholic Preparatory School (PA) 12:00 PM

Game 4 Smyrna High School (DE) vs. Manheim Central High School (PA) 3:30 PM

Game 5 The Haverford School (PA) vs. Imhotep Institute Charter High School (PA) 7:00 PM

Saturday, September 2, 2023

Game 6 Camden High School (NJ) vs. Salem High School (NJ) 12:00 PM

Game 7 TBD 3:30 PM

Game 8 St. Joseph’s Prep (PA) vs. Saint Peter’s Prep (NJ) 7:00 PM

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody_Wood
Dover is scheduled to play West Philadelphia High 9/1 at Dover. I doubt they will give up a home game and gate to take the 9/2 3:30 slot that is open.. Middletown is playing at Urbana (MD) on 9/1 as well but I doubt they could convince Urbana to come here this year and take that spot. Either of those games would be great fit for the event though IMO.. Wonder how much the promoter is offering the teams to come?

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody_Wood
HVT- Howard is a home game for HVT - would have played at Caravel (HVT Field out of commission). Surprised they let Howard have it as their home game - even though HVT is listed as the home team. Unless there is some compensation to the schools for playing these games.

Reactions: sbb19940
home game for HVT - would have played at Caravel (HVT Field out of commission). Surprised they let Howard have it as their home game - even though HVT is listed as the home team. Unless there is some compensation to the schools for playing these games.

Looks like HVT was glad to sign up for it. Selling the ole "exposure" thing..:rolleyes:

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
A little bit of smoke being blown here but yeah whatever. I don't think they will sell as many tickets as they think (these things never do) Also doesn't look like there will be any stream or TV coverage. St Joes Prep is the only team of any National prominence and they will blow St Peters out. St Peters had a run for a few years in the BNU but they are depleted now. To be honest I would rather see SJP play Sallies and let DMA play Peters

"The inaugural Mid-Atlantic Pigskin Classic football showcase will be held this Labor Day weekend and will feature some of the top high school teams and individual players on the east coast. The event is operated by JFS Event Planning & Consulting and will be hosted at the Salesianum School’s Abessinio Stadium which is located in Wilmington Delaware. The event is supported by the Maxwell Football Club in conjunction with the Club’s longstanding commitment to high school football in the region.

The Pigskin Classic will feature 7 games, with teams from Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey participating. The schedule features St. Joseph’s Prep (PA) vs St. Peters Prep (NJ), Salesianum School vs Delaware Military Academy, Manheim Central High School (PA) vs Smyrna High School (DE), Northeast High School (PA) vs West Catholic Preparatory School (PA), The Haverford School (PA) vs. Imhotep Institute Charter High School (PA) and Camden High School (NJ) vs. Salem High School (NJ). Event tickets will go on public sale in June and demand is expected to be very high.

“We are thrilled to be partnered with JFS Event Planning & Consulting and Salesianum School to host this amazing event which we expect to be one of the top high school showcases in the nation. The interest level from teams from all over the east coast has been exceptional and we were able to secure some of the top teams in Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey to join us in year one. Abessinio Stadium is an amazing facility that will provide the best possible playing conditions, and we plan on doing all the little things to make the event special for players, coaches, and fans. I expect this to grow into one of the marquee high school football events in America in a very short time.” – Mark Wolpert- Executive Director – Maxwell Football Club.

“JFS Event Planning & Consulting is excited to be a part of the inaugural Mid-Atlantic Pigskin Classic. The quality of the high school football programs we were able to acquire in year one is amazing. Traditional New Jersey power, Saint Peter’s Prep will square off against the No.1 team in Pennsylvania in 2022, St. Joseph’s Prep. The No.1 team in Delaware in 2022, Smyrna High School will play the historical Pennsylvania program, Manheim Central High School. The No.10 ranked team in Pennsylvania in 2022, Imhotep Institute Charter High School will play 2022 Inter-Ac Champions, The Haverford School. The remaining games include some of the top programs in the Mid-Atlantic Area and we look forward to bringing the top high school programs to the Classic in the future.” – John Schmid-President-JFS Event Planning & Consulting"

Last edited:
I have heard of all the OOS schools except Manheim? Does anybody know a thing or two about them? Wonder what Smyrna will look like after last year. That has to be an All Time DE team just based on regular season and playoff scores.

HVT- Howard is a home game for HVT - would have played at Caravel (HVT Field out of commission). Surprised they let Howard have it as their home game - even though HVT is listed as the home team. Unless there is some compensation to the schools for playing these games.
No compensation to the participating teams. Game officials & stadium rent covered by game organizers.

I have heard of all the OOS schools except Manheim? Does anybody know a thing or two about them? Wonder what Smyrna will look like after last year. That has to be an All Time DE team just based on regular season and playoff scores.

Was a 5A school dropped to 4A recently but a winning program that plays weak competition in their district. They usually get smashed in the playoffs. I would put my money on Smyrna in this one

Here is a overview of their seasons and rankings in PA

Was a 5A school dropped to 4A recently but a winning program that plays weak competition in their district. They usually get smashed in the playoffs. I would put my money on Smyrna in this one

Here is a overview of their seasons and rankings in PA

Not so sure about Smyrna in this one. Don't know what they have coming back this year. Manheim is always solid. I have seen them in the Pa playoffs a number of times over the past 15 years. They are always very competitive and usually bring a huge crowd - especially when they are at Hershey Park Stadium. Back in the Tubby Raymond days Delaware always had several good players from Mannheim (Nagy, etc.). Their league is not really that weak - there are usually several tough teams in it.

Thanks Bib for the info. If my math is close, we are 54 days out from kick off. This is something that we look forward to…..

You also don't need waiver hearing for transfers in state where it is the first transfer prior to start of junior year..just saying

You also don't need waiver hearing for transfers in state where it is the first transfer prior to start of junior year..
Transfer portal must be open 7 waiver hearings at DIAA Board meeting, Archemere, AI, Mt, Red Lion, St Andrews, and Sallies
I bet it's 14 or more the next couple hearings. School just let out .. Just saying

Reactions: Huskerman7
Here is the deal about transfers. Unless you can prove the transfer was solely for athletic purpose(baring a parent admitting it, it is impossible to prove) so there is that also having school choice Any kid that is legally enrolled in a school and is academically or otherwise eligible for any after school activity the DIAA has no standing to prevent them from doing so unless it's proven the move was solely for athletics or recruiting was involved and proven.

This has been challenged in at least 5 states I know of and the States Supreme Court ruled in the favor of the student everytime. The only times the students lose is when there are school districts and they fudge whatever to be in a school district they don't actually live in.

Delaware has school choice so that is that. Schools district don't mean anything. DIAA would lose any legal challenge unless they could prove the move was solely based on athletics. Not gonna happen and DIAA doesn't have the juice to even take it to court.

As long as there is school choice then we might as we just accept the transfer portal as normal. Wait till Salllies is able to procure NIL money for stud xfers. Just saying

"Wait till Salllies is able to procure NIL money for stud xfers."

Are you serious, even a little bit?

"Wait till Salllies is able to procure NIL money for stud xfers."

Are you serious, even a little bit?
Dove, Bib threw that out there waiting for somebody to bite! You bit.

Actually, Bib miskeyed. He meant to add an “ent” at the end of “stud”. We all know it is about education and scholarship. Please, Bib keep it orderly and scholarly.

• Haha
Reactions: BackinBlack86
Dove, Bib threw that out there waiting for somebody to bite! You bit.

Actually, Bib miskeyed. He meant to add an “ent” at the end of “stud”. We all know it is about education and scholarship. Please, Bib keep it orderly and scholarly.
Actually, the more I think about it the more interesting NIL money becomes. I think I'll place a call to Rocco down at Palm Beach.

You also don't need waiver hearing for transfers in state where it is the first transfer prior to start of junior year..

I bet it's 14 or more the next couple hearings. School just let out .. Just saying
You’re probably right. Looks like there’s only 3 actual transfer waiver requests for July 13. The rest are years of participation waiver requests. Looks like August will bring the avalanche of transfer waivers.

This has been challenged in at least 5 states I know of and the States Supreme Court ruled in the favor of the student everytime. The only times the students lose is when there are school districts and they fudge whatever to be in a school district they don't actually live in.
The PIAA rule is that transfers who played varsity the year before are eligible for regular season and league playoff games, but they are not eligible for PIAA tournament play. That has been challenged in court, and the PIAA has prevailed.

Last season, Roman Catholic won the Philadelphia Catholic League basketball championship, but they were forced to play in the PIAA tournament without two starters, one of who was Jermai Stewart-Herring, who transferred in from St. Elizabeth. Transfers can apply for waivers for postseason eligibility, but they are rarely granted.

Last Updated on June 8, 2023
In what states is it clear that high school student athletes can monetize their name, image and likeness?

1. Alaska
  2. California
  3. Colorado
  4. Connecticut
  5. District of Columbia (D.C.)
  6. Idaho
  7. Illinois
  8. Iowa
  9. Kansas
  10. Louisiana
  11. Maine
  12. Maryland
  13. Massachusetts
  14. Minnesota
  15. Nebraska
  16. Nevada (limited, see below)
  17. New Hampshire
  18. New Jersey
  19. New Mexico
  20. New York
  21. North Carolina (as of July 1, 2023)
  22. North Dakota
  23. Oklahoma
  24. Oregon
  25. Pennsylvania
  26. Rhode Island
  27. Tennessee
  28. Utah
  29. Virginia (as of July 1, 2023)
  30. Washington

If Delaware doesn't change it then expect to see the top tier players leave the state. In all sports

Delaware's rule-

2.5 Eligibility, Amateur Status

2.5.1 A student may not participate in an interscholastic sport unless they are considered an amateur in that sport. A student forfeits amateur status if they do any of the following:

2.5.1.1 Knowingly plays on or against a professional team which is defined as a team having one or more members who have received or are receiving directly or indirectly monetary consideration for their athletic services.

2.5.1.2 Signs a professional contract, accepts reimbursement for expenses to attend a professional tryout, or receives financial assistance in any form from a professional sports organization.

2.5.1.3 Enters a competition under an assumed name. The surname and given name used by any player in the student’s first game of interscholastic competition shall be used during the remainder of the student's interscholastic career. Any change in spelling or use of another name shall be regarded as an attempt to evade this rule unless the change has been properly certified by the player to the principal or headmaster of the school.

2.5.1.4 Receives remuneration of any kind or accepts reimbursement for expenses in excess of the actual and necessary costs of transportation, meals, and lodging for participating in a team or individual competition or an instructional camp or clinic. Reimbursement for the aforementioned expenses is permitted only if all of the participants receive the same benefit.

2.5.1.5 Receives cash or a cash equivalent (savings bond, certificate of deposit, etc.), merchandise (except as permitted by subsection 4.1.4) or a merchandise discount, (except for discount arranged by school for part of team uniform) a reduction or waiver of fees, a gift certificate, or other valuable consideration as a result of the student’s participation in an organized competition or instructional camp or clinic. Accepting an event program or a complimentary item (t shirt, hat, equipment bag, etc.) that is inscribed with a reference to the event, has an aggregate retail value of no more than $150.00, and is provided to all of the participants, shall not jeopardize the student’s amateur status.

2.5.1.6 Sells or pawns awards received.

2.5.1.7 Uses the student’s athletic status to promote or endorse a commercial product or service on the internet; in a newsprint, radio, television advertisement or any other form of media; or personal appearance.

Dover and DMA had a nice little 40 play scrimmage last night at Del St. Some players missing on both sides but I think a decent outing for both teams with a month to go before camp officially starts.

Reactions: 84rider
How are these teams scrimmaging in July? 🤷‍♂️
DSU had a team camp that they were at. Red Lion, Glasgow and a couple other teams were there as well. The did 7v7 for the skills, and lineman broke up and did 1 on 1. Then they came together and did 11v11. It was super controlled and essentially was 2 hand touch.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
St Joe's 42 St Peters 0.. SJP could have put up 100 on Petey but showed mercy.. ughh

In other news on the National front St Frances is 0-3 and they still have Mater Dei, St Johns Bosco and IMG to play. Well may be running dry for SFA. They had a top player defect and stay in Florida last week and transfer to IMG after the Chaminade+Madonna loss.. 🤯

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT