ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft

Chad Kuhl drafted by Pirates in R9 / #269. UD and Middletown High School.

Jimmy Yezzo drafted by Nationals in R7 / #226. UD (Cherry Hill, NJ.)

Matt Soren drafted by Phillies in R10 / #571. UD (Roslyn, NY)

KJ Trader drafted by Red Sox in R39 / #1163. Delmar High School.

This post was edited on 6/8 4:55 PM by TouchThemAll

This post was edited on 6/8 9:13 PM by TouchThemAll

As a Pirates fan, I had a feeling we were going to draft Kuhl. We seem to have a thing for sinker pitchers. That said, I really don't think we should have used a ninth round pick on him as he is probably at best a fifth starter in the bigs.

Are you kidding! If a ninth round pick turns into a fifth starter, he & the organization have done ok.

is anyone surprised fraley didnt get drafted? i thought he was pretty much a lock? did the lsu thing scare off teams?

Watched some of the LSU v Okla game on Saturday. That team (57-9) looks strong!

Fraley was not going to be a high pick anyway. That, coupled with his LSU scholly I'm sure contributed to his not being drafted at all.

Has anyone heard what Trader will do? I'm hoping that based on his low draft position along with the fact that his friend Jarmon is struggling, that he'll go develop at Chipola. They have a great history of producing D1 signees and high draftees.

In the 36th round, your not signing for money reasons. Your signing because you, and hopefully good advisors, are telling you it may be your only shot and you do have a realistic shot...and since you don't have a big scholly...why not give it a chance. You can always register for college the next year if it didn't work out. Your just giving up playing in college. So its important to know if your shot is realistic or not. It really comes down to what the kid really wants but whats realistic and you can live with.

Fraley is pretty much a no brainer...probably late rounds versus a big time scholly.

I have a friend who's kid wasn't getting drafted, but had the more realistic dilemma for a lot of kids/parents is whether to go to a smaller school (no scholly) and possibly continue to play ball versus going to a bigger school for their major/career goals and probably no ball. The kid was a good righty pitcher. Nothing exceptional with speed or pitches so didn't intimidate batters or attract a lot of college interest. The kid was accurate, an innings burner and even against the better hitters never really got lit up. The family was really turmoiled what to do...kid loved playing ball and didn't want to stop, but they realized the importance of a degree from a bigger school would help more for the kids career. In addition, The family had average income, so the out of state small school tuition was almost twice that of the in state bigger school tuition.

What would you do? I recommended maybe a comprimse going to more expensive small school to give playing ball a chance for a year or two. If it wasn't working out or just an average experience (ie some playing time, but not star role)...than transfer to bigger school to finish degree. If kid was a superstar, having the time of his life and getting a good education, than stay and finish school there.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Is "smaller school" a DI, DII, DIII or other?

Many DIII schools have excellent academics and impressive credentials for a career path.

There are also some great smaller regional schools that seem to hover near the bottom of the DI rankings (e.g. Bucknell, Lehigh, UMBC, Villanova), which means they are not getting the top recruits.

Don't assume that the smaller schools will be more expensive until you see the aid package the school is offering. Many private institutions have huge endowments that help fund need and merit based scholarships (DIII does not offer athletic scholarships).

Consider club baseball at a larger school. Most large schools have excellent club teams (UD included). They travel, compete against other regional schools, and even have their own play-offs and tournaments. Also, club ball doesn't require the same tremendous commitment of time and effort that varsity ball does.

To finish out this thread, Trader did sign with the Red Sox and is pitching in the Gulf Coast League.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT